Review: Proxy by Mindee Arnett

Series: Avalon #0.5
Publication Date: December 3, 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen Impulse
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 90 (eBook)
Source: From Literary Agent For Review
Proxy is an action-packed introduction to a world like nothing readers have seen before, and it sets a spark to the powder keg that will explode in Mindee Arnett's sci-fi thriller Avalon.

If you need something stolen from any star system in the Confederation, you need look no further than the Shades. Jeth Seagrave and his band of teenage mercenaries have been making a name for themselves for being able to steal anything—and for disappearing before anyone is the wiser. Their latest job, a jewel heist on Grakkus, should be no different. But when Jeth's boss replaces a key member of his crew just before takeoff, and Jeth discovers a betrayal within his own ranks, he begins to suspect that not everyone is going to be coming back from his job alive.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I'm not the biggest novella fan, but I found this one to be overall enjoyable if not slightly flat. In the end, it served its purpose and got me excited for the first real installment in this series, AVALON. This will be a mini review since this was almost like a mini book!

I think that most of my enjoyment of the novella came from the fact that I enjoyed Jeth's mind. He wants to have some fun, but he's incredibly serious at the same time. He also takes care of his sister and is beyond protective. In other words, the ideal type of big brother. His younger sister, Lizzie, is a redheaded technology genius that is just shy of thirteen years old. She's got a fiery attitude and an unparalleled skill and determination to boot, so I quickly learned to enjoy her presence. In regards to the other characters, I found their general descriptions to be interesting and it set me up with general background information for AVALON.

Learning about the general functions of Hammer, Jeth's crime boss, was incredibly interesting to me because he plays such a central role in book one. To see the way he treats others and to later find out their fates, as well as to have little things hinted throughout the novella about sequences that will occur in book one was rather great, too. All I have to say is that I would not want to tangle with that tool.

However, I have to admit that the editing on this novella was better. When I was 51% in, there was a typo. Instead of "addiction" it said "addition." Mere paragraphs later it got it right. This small pet peeve of mine led to a negative half star.

In the end, this is a solid introduction to the series. If you enjoy novellas, I'd recommend giving it a chance.


3.5 stars

~*~Links~*~
|Amazon|Goodreads|Author's Website|

FTC Disclaimer: I did not receive any form of compensation in exchange for this honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I look the site it was a very good and very informative in many aspects thanks for share such a nice work.
    access Abmp3 in UK

    ReplyDelete