Top Ten Books That Made Me Cry


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

Top ten books that will make you cry...this is a hard one. I easily get emotionally invested in my characters. I feel their pain and hurt for them, but it's hard to actually make me cry for them. So, all these books are just wow.

In no particular order...


1. The Fault In Our Stars by John Green - Do I really need to explain why this book made me bawl? It's a cancer story, but it's a happy one, yet it's still a cancer story in the end.
2. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This book will always make me cry. It is my ultimate favorite book and the tears will always flow.
3. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini - If you have not read this book, read it now. The tears are going to come no matter what, but they're so, so worth it.


4. Rogue by Gina Damico - An amazing series ender that completely blew me away, but there was a lot going on with some side characters that ripped my heart to pieces (which shows just how amazing this series ender was).
5. Champion by Marie Lu - Both satisfying and terribly heartbreaking, but thank the lord it is not ALLEGIANT.


6. The Boy In The Striped Pajamas by John Boyne - I had to read this one for class and it broke my heart for obvious reasons. I've never been able to handle Holocaust stories well and for such a tale to be told from such a perspective was heartbreaking.
7. The Assassin and the Empire by Sarah J. Maas - This is the fourth of the prequel novellas and it summed up all the reasons why our main character is the way she is. And it killed my heart in the process. I mean ripped it out and took a hammer to it.
8. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner - There's one scene in this that is the winner of the "holy crap that just happened and now I have to cry it out" award, and it's not even the ending. THAT IS HOW AMAZING THIS BOOK IS.


9. Fractured by Sarah Fine - I was really invested in this book because of how much I loved book one. Hell, I loved it so much that I was mentioned in the acknowledgments of book two. So, when something happened in this book near the end, my world was completely torn apart and the tears flowed.
10. Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard - I will give nothing away about this. But, wow, the tears.

Such a wide variety of books in this one. Don't forget to share your list with me!

26 comments:

  1. Ah, I haven't read the Throne of Glass novellas! I'm waiting for THE ASSASSIN'S BLADE, but I didn't think they'd make me cry! *bites nails* And UGH, yes, THE FAULT IN OUR STARS--how can you NOT cry? Good to know CHAMPION isn't like ALLEGIANT, because I can't go through that again. Great list!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first three won't, but the fourth will.

      If you don't cry at THE FAULT IN OUR STARS then you must be a robot.

      I got ALLEGIANT spoiled for me on twitter and I won't even read the book because I don't think I can handle it so....lol

      Delete
  2. I was about one second away from adding ALL the Sarah Maas to my list. Crown of Midnight...oof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much THRONE OF GLASS, but CROWN OF MIDNIGHT hell yes, as is the assassin and the empire!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that you put Fractured on your list! I totally put Sanctum on mine! So at least we covered all the books that are out so far between the two of us!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha SANCTUM didn't make me cry but it blew me away. The ending of FRACTURED...my poor heart.

      Delete
  4. Fabulous list. I nearly put The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas on my list this week too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it made me bawl. I don't care that it's so short, that's a damn powerful book.

      Delete
  5. Great picks! I haven't read The Book Thief yet, although I want to. I'm just not a huge fan of historical fiction! But if its worth your tears, (and I mean that in the best way possible lol) its worth a read!

    Here's My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SIMPLY MUST, NIKKI! It is my favorite book in the whole world. And yes, it's historical, but it's not dominantly historical. It's not shoved down your throat constantly the way some authors do it. Don't worry.

      AND IT SO IS WORTH A READ IF IT BROUGHT OUT MY TEARS.

      Delete
  6. Good list, The Book Thief and The Fault in our Stars made my list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have good taste in cry-worthy books ;)

      Delete
  7. Great list! I need to read These Broken Stars and Throne of Glass.
    Here's my TTT http://wonderousreviews.blogspot.com/2014/02/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You seriously have to! I couldn't recommend them enough!

      Delete
  8. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is such a great choice for this list. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! If it didn't make you cry then you must be a robot.

      Delete
  9. Great picks! The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas is such an emotional book. These Broken Stars made me tear up so bad, such a brilliant book. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely brilliant! <3 I can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  10. I wasn't able to get through The Boy in the Striped Pajamas - the narrator as a young boy just didn't work for me. But I did cry my eyes out over the movie, which I'm guessing was adapted quite closely?

    And there were definitely a couple of wet-eyed moments during These Broken Stars, but no tears escaped! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually wasn't adapted super closely. There were parts of it that I was just like "why did you not include that from the book?! it made so much sense and made it all the more heartbreaking!" For example in the book his head is shaved by his family because he got lice, but it's not in the movie so it makes it harder to mistake him for a Jewish prisoner and such.

      I can understand why the narrator didn't work for you, but it was done that way to show naivety and the fact that people really did see the world a bunch of different ways at the time.

      Nope, a few tears did escape for me during THESE BROKEN STARS haha I am sure you know the exact moment I am talking about.

      Delete
  11. These Broken Stars in on my shelf now - I need to get to that one soon because I've heard so many amazing things about it!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must get to it soon! You simply must!

      Delete