To Finish or Not To Finish...That Is The Question


When it comes to finishing a series...I suck. A lot. I'm the sucky series finishing fairy because I actually do everything in my power not to finish a series. I sit here and I really want to finish that series, but when I get to that last book I have a staredown with it and wimp out and crawl in the corner. I discovered that this was a legitimate problem I had when I confessed to Gillian that I have yet to read the entire Harry Potter series only because I'm mentally unable to say good-bye, even though I've seen all the movies. Naturally, she blew up on me in a friendly manner and outted my issue to her entire follower base without putting my name out there and I've been in rehab for it ever since.

And by that I mean I've just been forcing myself to grow the lady balls to say good-bye to beloved characters because not all of their stories end badly. Even though some do. And those are the books that make me curse Gillian for putting me through a metaphorical rehab. You know...every time I read one of those series where something bad happens in the end I just curl up in a ball and wonder if this entire rehab process is worth it. I want to relapse into my old ways of ignorant bliss.


But, I have to say, that I'm thankful that I'm beginning to finish series's. It was an issue of mine before I began blogging and I feel like blogging plus Gillian made me realize that I'm being an overemotional idiot. As Alexa puts it: I'm not ready to let the magic go. Honestly, she hit the nail on the head.

I feel like there's a finality in finishing a series. Sure, I can pick it up and re-read it again, but the characters that are close enough to my heart to make me want to continue their story are now having their story end, and that means that I have to say goodbye. Hopefully their stories end in a good way that doesn't involve a death that will make me bawl my eyes out because painful goodbyes are always the hardest. Plus, if I cry, which I feel is an inevitability these days, I will not be tempted to pick up that series for a re-read. It all stems from irrational bookish fears, you see.

It really isn't pretty.

Prior to blogging I only ever made it through two series as a whole throughout roughly five years of nonstop reading:

1. The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
2. Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan

One of those gives me some of my favorite childhood memories and one of them made me cringe but I finished the series because I simply couldn't allow my sister to finish a series before I did when I am the family reader, not her!

Since I began blogging...I have finished many series that I probably would not have discovered if not for blogging and am awaiting the final releases of many more series that I'm experiencing anxiety over finishing. Some of the finished series include:

1. The Girl of Fire and Thorns Series by Rae Carson highly recommend!
2. Something Strange and Deadly Series by Susan Dennard highly recommend!
3. Croak Series by Gina Damico highly recommend!
4. Wings Series by Aprilynne Pike
5. Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi highly recommend!
6. Legend Series by Marie Lu highly recommend!
7. The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare
8. The Hunger Games Series by Suzanne Collins recommend
9. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot highly recommend!

I finished The Mediator Series a day before writing this post and it's actually what prompted me to write this post. See, Christina found out I have never read any Meg Cabot before because I did not enjoy the one book I read by her and she was outraged so she sent me this entire series for Christmas. I've been marathoning it to the best of my ability and I got beyond attached to the characters. And well...my problem was expressed on twitter because, on more then one occasion, I've had to take to twitter to express my emotional trauma caused by this series to Gillian, Christina, and even my friend Jackie.

And well...the tweet below happened.

It seems that my problem will forever be with me and I've yet to master my bookish rehabilitation. However, I've learned to overcome this fear by just forcing myself to allow my curiosity to get the better of me. Out of the many series listed above, I can only say one ending wrought the emotional destruction I truly truly fear, though several did cause me to tear up. I'm beginning to have faith. It just so happens that that faith doesn't actually make me pick up that final book and make that final leap until I stare at it and hyperventilate for an hour...or two or three.

To this day there are two series whose final book still eludes me because I can't say goodbye. It doesn't matter that I know how they end, my bookish journey with them is not complete. And I know they'll be complete one day, I'm just not mentally prepared for them...

Until next time:

1. Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
2. Jessica Darling Series by Megan McCafferty

You will be read...eventually. Harry Potter...I am marathoning you this summer even if it KILLS me.


Do you have this issue or is this all one huge problem that I've caused for my bookish anxiety? How do you tackle the ending of a series? Are you the complete opposite of me? If so, how do you deal with it? Share your thoughts below! It seems I need everyone's therapeutic help.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I'm the same. I scheduled a similar post only with a lot of gifs the other day to talk about it. I'm TERRIBLE at finishing series. Of the top of my head I need to finish the series of...

    Wither
    Delirium
    Matched
    The Immortal Rules
    Dark Inside
    Blood Red Road
    Ultraviolet
    The Selection
    Luxe

    I'm stopping now, I'm scaring myself! I know there's more but I don't want to think about it...
    ★ Under The Mountain ★

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I have a ton that I need to finish... lol

      Everneath
      The Grish Trilogy
      Throne of Glass
      Graceling Trilogy
      The Mortal Instruments
      The Elements by Brigid Kemmerer
      Covenant Series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
      Penryn & The End of Days
      Lux series

      Just to name a few... ;)

      And haha! Great minds thing alike!

      Delete
  2. While I never want a series to end, I don't have a problem finishing that last book. Well, I do because I currently have a decent amount of series I have yet to finish. My issue comes from starting a series after it's finished or is close to. I read the first book, love it, and then . . .

    So I set my goal to finish or catch up on series that I'm already in the middle of before starting any new series. It's a pretty good motivator because there are series out there I am dying to start, but can't. This may take a while so it'll be a good motivator to not let myself slack so hardcore in the future!

    Andrea @ Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it that at times it's easier if the entire series is complete and then start it only because all the books are there and you don't have the time to lose interest while waiting a year for the next book.

      Interesting technique! Thanks for sharing Andrea!

      Delete
  3. I don't have this problem with books, but I do with games..lol I almost never finish ga,es because then I will have beat it and have nothing to do the next time I want to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting article! :)
    I really like binge-reading series, I think that it helps me to finish the series actually. I just want more and ugh I can't stop until I know the end of it.

    Also, for series that I loooove like Harry Potter or the Shatter me series, I read the last book on release day and don't stop until I finish it. I read the 700ish pages of the last Harry Potter book in two days, for example. Like, I read it even while eating with my parents, and I wasn't even sorry for that haha.

    But for some series, I have the same problem as you do. I don't want to "unlove" the series just because I didn't like the final book. And I heard so many bad things about Requiem by Lauren Oliver, or Allegiant by Veronica Roth, that I don't want to be disappointed in the whole series.

    So yeah, when there are series that I absolutely love, I really need to know the ending, even though I know that my heart will break in a million pieces. For series that are just meh or good but not amazing, I tend to postpone my reading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THIS. JUST THIS. I am not alone!

      Delete