Top Ten All-Time Favorite Retellings



I'm a retelling nut, so I'm going to share with you my top ten favorite retellings, and my top four least favorite retellings overall. Take a look and check out the links for my reviews ;)

In no particular order...

~*~Favorite Retellings~*~

1. The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors - The Ugly Duckling retelling
2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer (and the rest of the series) - Cinderella and so much more
3. Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay - Beauty and the Beast retelling
4. Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen - Robin Hood retelling
5. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George - Twelve Dancing Princesses retelling
6. Enchanted by Alethea Kontis - The Frog Prince and several more retellings
7. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge - Beauty and the Beast retelling
8. The Hero's Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Christopher Healy - several fairytales retelling from the Prince's perspectives
9. Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce - Little Red Riding Hood retelling
10. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner - Titanic in space retelling! Yaaaasss!

~*~Worst Retellings~*~

Just like there are the books that make you glow with happiness, there are books that make you want to bash your head into a wall. These were some of those retellings for me. If you trust my opinion at all, back away from these titles slowly whenever you encounter them.

1. Nameless by Lili St. Crow - Snow White retelling
2. Kill Me Softly by Sarah Cross - Sleeping Beauty retelling
3. Suddenly Royal by Nichole Chase - new adult Princess Diaries retelling
4. Spies and Prejudice by Talia Vance - Pride and Prejudice retelling

Share your TTT's below and comment with your favorite retellings so that I can check them out!

25 comments:

  1. OMG WE BOTH DID RETELLINGS THIS WEEK. Obviously that says something. Not sure I'd count These Broken Stars as a retelling, but it's an awesome book so push push push push. Cinder? Princess of the Midnight Ball? Scarlet? Hellll to the yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were meant to be friends!!!!! <3 Hey, if you count THRONE OF GLASS then I can count THESE BROKEN STARS.

      And yes! those last 3 are just agh! <3

      Delete
    2. I count ToG because Sarah J. Maas said she was inspired by Cinderella, meaning she actively sought to retell it, and I don't think Spooner and Kaufman meant to retell Titanic (nor did what's-her-name set out to retell/ruin Princess Diaries) butttttt whatever, we both did retellings and that's why were are awesome and extremely cool and yay

      Delete
    3. blahhhh idk I consider them retellings and I suppose that's all I care about.

      We are awesome! <3

      Delete
  2. Ohh... glad to see the Lunar Chronicles popping up all over the place! It was on my list as well :) Now excuse me, I have to "to-read" all these on Goodreads!

    (My TTT: http://mgbookreviews.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/top-ten-tuesdays-all-time-favourite-books-in-the-sci-fispeculative-fiction-genre/)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I love retellings but need to find more. I'm totally going to use this list to help me out in the future. Plus, you have good taste because you love The Lunar Chronicles. :P Great TTT. :)

    http://okletsread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love it when I can share new books with other readers!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely adore retellings. I need to check out some more on your list! I really liked These Broken Stars and The Lunar Chronicles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got all your favorites somewhere on my shelves (either TBR or read) - so that's comforting. Especially with Scarlet. I REALLY need to get on reading that book.

    One of my all time favorite retellings, is Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon. I absolutely loved it and read it during an entire (6 hour) plane ride. If you haven't read it yet, you should definitely check that one out!

    My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST READ THAT BOOK!

      oooooh I'll look into it now!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, great choices. I love seeing Princess of the Midnight Ball on TTT lists!

    Here's mine: http://bookworm716.blogspot.com/2014/03/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-contemporary.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 I think it's impossible to hate Jessica Day George

      Delete
  7. Great list, Sisters Red is a favourite of mine. New Follower, hi!

    Under The Mountain's Top Ten Dystopias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! <3 It's not an ultimate favorite but it's my favorite Jackson Pearce which is why it got on there

      Delete
  8. Why did I not know that These Broken Stars was a Titanic retelling? I feel like I need to read it right now! Also, I agree with the other retellings and there are a few that I haven't read that I'd like to. Also, I always forget that we don't agree on the whole Nameless thing. But luckily we're still pals. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ugh I HATED Nameless, but I won't hold that against you <3

      Delete
  9. Ahhh, I really need to read OF BEAST AND BEAUTY!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was my topic for TTT this week too! I didn't even think of These Broken Stars as a Titanic retelling!! Lightbulb literally JUST went off, haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love fairy-tale retellings, they are one of my favorite types of books! I also loved Cinder, Scarlet, Princess of the Midnight Ball, The Sweetest Spell, and Enchanted. I'm really looking forward to reading Cruel Beauty and These Broken Stars.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list. I LOVED These Broken Stars, such a brilliant book. I recently read Cruel Beauty but I didn't really get it because I didn't like the romance in it. I can't wait to read Cinder, I've heard so many good things. My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete