College Blogging 101: Time Management & Scheduling


College Blogging 101 is a weekly meme hosted by Lili's Reflections where a variety of hosts answer questions and give advice in regards to blogging in college. The purpose of this is to help upcoming college students and to create an open discussion forum. If you would like to write a guest post, please fill out this form. If you have a question you want answered, please fill out this form.

This week my dear friend Alyssa from The Eater of Books stopped by to explain how she manages to post every day while having a crazy schedule for classes. Check out her post below!

~*~*~*~


If there is one thing that every blogger has in common – college student or not – it’s that we’re all very busy people. Or at least somewhat busy, if you’re not as old as some of us. But I feel like college students are a special kind of busy. College is all about discovery and finding yourself and blah blah blah, but at the same time, you have to maintain – no, EXCEL in the world of academics and extracurricular activities and have a social life and get internships and read/blog… WAIT WHAT?!

Let me tell you a little bit about me, to put things into perspective. I’m currently a freshman at Johns Hopkins University. I’m double-majoring in environmental engineering and Spanish (yup, the hardcore math and science – nothing that can be seen as “easy”). I am taking (and will be taking) an average of about 18 credits a semester (sometimes up to 21). I’m a highly active member of four organizations – all four of which are functioning, influential organizations in the university. I play two clubs sports (badminton and rock climbing), I exercise regularly (yay long-distance running). Yes, I do have friends/a social life. My grades are top-notch – and I go to one of the most competitive and “hardest”-grading universities in the world (you know about Harvard and grade deflation? Here, we at Hopkins seem to have grade DEFLATION.)

And yes, I have never missed a day of blogging, since starting to blog. Yup, I post every day, not just twice a week, or something. Also? I post four reviews a week. That means I read four books a week. Four. Books. A. Week. With. Reviews. Wondering how I do it? Heh.


The most important thing, for me, is to budget my time. A blog schedule, as well as a day-to-day schedule in general, is seriously helpful. Making lists and cutting out times early in the week for specific is THE ONLY WAY TO GO, for me. A typical day-to-day schedule for me will usually start at 8:30 a.m. and end at 12:30 a.m. (though I’m almost always awake until 1:30 a.m., studying more because #Hopkins). Example of a few hours of my day: I set thirty minutes for lunch, go to my afternoon classes, then two hours for vector calculus homework, an hour for Spanish Lit reading, two hours for studying for a quantum mechanics exam, and so on. That really helps.

But how do I fit in time to read? Saturday morning, Sunday morning, Monday afternoon, and Thursday morning are when I read my four books a week. I give myself three hours maximum to read a book, and thirty minutes maximum to write a review. Setting time limits like that is great to keep myself on track. If I get behind, then I won’t finish calc homework. If I don’t finish calc homework, then I can’t finish the Lit reading. And then I can’t study for my test. And then I fail at everything and that is not okay!


Keep on top of when and how long you read – that is key.

The last thing I’m going to talk about – a blog schedule. Having a rigid, set routine/pattern/schedule has been such a help for me. I have a schedule for what TYPE of post I have going on the blog every day, as well as what BOOK I will be reviewing for whichever review day. When people say, “I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO READ!” - I laugh. Seriously. Because when you schedule which book to read next (I do it in order of release date, which seems most logical), you KNOW what you’re reading next. There is no guesswork. Of course, there is no spontaneity, but at least I don’t waste time trying to figure things out. And I get my books reviewed before the release date. That’s kind of important. For that, I use Google Calendar. It keeps me straight with blog tours, too.

            So, blog schedule. Here is what mine looks like:

            Sunday: Pre-publication review
            Monday: Pre-publication review
            Tuesday: Pre-publication review
            Wednesday: Waiting on Wednesday (meme)
            Thursday: Swoon Thursday (meme), *possible* extra review day (very uncommon)
            Friday: Post-publication review
            Saturday: Stacking the Shelves (meme)

This schedule totally works for me. I’m knocking out three pre-pub review books and one post-pub review book every week, without stressing myself out about it. I built time in at the beginning of each semester to work around my class schedule, to read books. If you start a habit from the beginning, chances are, you’ll get set in your ways and won’t change things as the weeks go by. While my blog schedule has not changed for many, many months, my day-to-day schedule has changed from semester to semester.

So, my moral of the story: you CAN have a successful blog and go to college and have friends and get stellar grades and do one really difficult major and add another major and participate in organizations and club sports and exercise and so on. You CAN still read and review books and keep up with blogging. Don’t tell me you can’t. It’s all about how much effort YOU want to put into it, and how well you budget your time. YOU CAN DO IT!



So, YOU tell ME! What do you do to keep on top of things, while you are/were in college? Or in general? What do you think of a blog schedule? Do you know any tricks or tips that could help others, when it comes to blogging/reading/reviewing and time management?

~*~*~*~

Thank you so much for stopping by, Alyssa! I admire your ability to post so much in college--it is truly an incredible feat!

25 comments:

  1. You are freaking awesome! Thanks for this - which I'm saving for those days I think I can't get it done!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa is rather amazing haha

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much!! You're both too kind ^_^

      Delete
  2. Wow, Alyssa! I'm totally feeling like a slob right now!
    Thankfully I'm no longer in college but working, and my schedule as a nurse is rather odd, having days off on Mondays and working nights and the like, so on days off I balance reading time and social life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, don't, Pili! I'm just a crazy person lol. You definitely have a really great balance that is working :)

      Delete
    2. Alyssa is superwoman, don't worry!

      Delete
  3. Aww, yay!! Thank you for having me, Lili!! This was a fun post to write :)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually make a scedule similar to how you make yours. I go to university too - in my case i study ICT engineering, which has 37 hours a week of sceduled lessons + homework. So i kinda need a scedule, or everything would be a mess, haha :P I also manage to post almost every day on my blog, and read, and work a part time job and have a social life. It's totally doable. Great post btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeez! My work schedule is nuts because I have a honors college workload on top of a part time job and editing services. THEN THERE'S BLOGGING! and finals are coming up! Cue the freak out.

      Delete
  5. Holy Crap! Alyssa, you are so busy!! **bows down to the greatness!** I cannot believe you do this much and blog, go you! (now I feel like a slacker and proceed to plan my week)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (we are all slackers in comparison to her)

      Delete
  6. See, that's thinking like an engineer! Plan our your schedule by the minute, and plan out each read, and then there's no guessing, there's no OMG I HAVE NO TIME, because everything is scheduled :). I used to be like that. I lost my way there some years after graduating. BUT what I think is the most awesome, is it only takes you a few hours to read a book. You must be a speed reading machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is almost crazy busy. I read many hours a week and still do not finish 4 books. I finish about 1 to two per week. I'm much more laid back blogger, but there is time to read while going to college.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I think the reading a book in three hours thing is the big hurdle for most people for maintaining this kind of amazing schedule ;-). I can generally post 2-3 reviews a week, but it takes me 6+ hours to read most of my books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like this post. I am pretty much impressed with the tips defined. By profession I am too a blogger and I understand better how much importance time management keeps for getting the things organized and streamlined. Writing a blog and understanding the concept, defining those in the blogs are all the integral part of a blogger what I believe. Specifically to manage the time in a better format I didn't find any better way to deploy a tool that could manage the things in a better format. And with that understanding I could not find any better robust tool than the hours tracker from Replicon. Upon using this tool I gotta have absolute control on time and manage my blogging in a better manner which then helps me to publish them on time and literally got good number of readers on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alyssa is a machine and puts my time management skills to shame. Kudos to her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Invertis Institute of Management Studies is the oldest institute in the Invertis group of Institutions. It was started in the with many professional programs. It runs flagship programs like.With its commitment to excellence in education, training, research and consultancy in the field of management, the institute secured ISO certification from Quality Management. Top Management Colleges in UP

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! I need to get better organized.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Alyssa! You are amazing and I'm super proud of your accomplishments. You've tackled your goals so wonderfully and we appreciate you posting such a great topic with those great tips. I can only wish I was that organized! BIG Hugs...www.intheknowwithro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Alyssa! You are amazing and I'm super proud of your accomplishments. You've tackled your goals so wonderfully and we appreciate you posting such a great topic with those great tips. I can only wish I was that organized! BIG Hugs...www.intheknowwithro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The writers have sometime makes errors in their vocabulary. The elements should be contain proper way of custom essay writing

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the information you have shared, but I found a platform where you will let to know about Top MBA Colleges in India that are best in themselves for their specific studies and the faculties that are providing their best for the sake of their students.

    ReplyDelete