Review: Starling by Fiona Paul

Series: Secrets of the Eternal Rose #3
Publication Date: March 20, 2014
Publisher: Philomel
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 336 (Hardcover)
Source: Bought
The dark, seductive conclusion to the thrilling Secrets of the Eternal Rose trilogy!

In the final book in the trilogy, Cass and Luca are back in Venice trying to find the Book of the Eternal Rose to clear Luca's name and keep them both out of prison. But the hunters become the hunted when the Order of the Eternal Rose figures out their plan. Filled with twists and turns, danger and torrid romances, this novel brings the Secrets of the Eternal Rose novels to a thrilling, heart-pounding, sexy conclusion.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I've been mulling over this review for over a month. Why? Well, it's because I am both happy and sad. It's very hard to write a review when you can't sort out your thoughts properly, so this will be short and to the point.

From the very beginning of this series, there's been a huge love triangle. Falco, the charming yet secretive street artist, grabbed Cass's heart from the very first time they met. On the other hand, Luca, her fiancee, loved her since they were children. One was very safe and one was very bad. Naturally, she alternated between them. What shocked me most is the fact that my ship didn't sail with this one and while it completely tore my heart out, Paul found a way to make me happy. In the end, Cass was really happy, so I can't be mad, right?

My one true gripe is the characters. While I think many loose ends were tied up, I feel like previous huge figures were not mentioned often enough. They deserved to have more focus. Belladonna and Mada were barely existent in this book and I did not approve. For two huge figures they deserved to be present more. I don't really like this case of character amnesia. Luckily, this is counteracted by Cass's huge character arc coming to a beautiful standstill of maturity. She has changed so much and I absolutely love her determination and focus when it comes to tackling any situation that life throws at her.

Our huge mystery was finally solved in this one and I have to say that the ride was damn awesome. There was even more betrayal and plot twists then I would have initially expected. I found myself reading through the book very quickly because, as always, Paul does not disappoint on the entertaining plot lines that keep you fully immersed. The attention to detail and the world-building was absolutely magnificent and I've come to expect nothing short from Fiona.

Oddly enough, it was my high expectations that caused this one to have a slightly lower rating than initially anticipated. There were times in this book where I felt like there was a lull in the writing. My attention waned just slightly before I gathered my thoughts and was able to focus again. In her previous novels that had never happened before. I simply was not expecting it and it threw me off because of how much I love Fiona Paul.

In the end, a very satisfying ending though it was not what I expected. Paul has yet to disappoint me with any of her works.


4 stars

~*~Links~*~

1 comment:

  1. CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE FEELS WITH THIS BOOK. OH MY GOSH YESS. I FEEL YOU LILI,AAAH. We need to talk about it! Love your review girl!

    XOXO,
    Inky

    PS. WHAT IS UP? I've been so busy lately!! :D

    ReplyDelete