College Blogging 101: Have Fun and Enjoy the Ride


College Blogging 101 is a weekly meme hosted by Lili's Reflections where a variety of hosts answer questions and give advice in regards to blogging in college. The purpose of this is to help upcoming college students and to create an open discussion forum. If you would like to write a guest post, please fill out this form. If you have a question you want answered, please fill out this form.
 
Today, Rachel from As Told By Rachel is stopping by to share the importance of keeping blogging stress-free. It's totally understandable why blogging can get stressful, but it's here as an outlet for creativity and fun, not something that's supposed to stress you out. Sometimes you just have to remind yourself of that.
 
~*~*~*~

When Lili and I first talked about the post I was going to write for her college blogger series, I really didn’t know what advice I could give. I think blogging is a really individual process in terms of what works for each one of us. So Lili asked me what advice I would give to myself back when I first began blogging. The first thing that came to mind was that I would have told myself to just have fun and enjoy the ride that is blogging. This can apply to almost every situation in life, though.

I began blogging the summer after my sophomore year of college. This was a time in my life when I was from being secure in who I was. I was a perfectionist in every aspect of my life because that’s what I thought would bring me happiness. That spilled over into my blog, as well. Up until this past winter, blogging was almost always a source of stress. Don’t get me wrong, I loved it. I loved the community, the books, having a place where I could express myself. But I put A LOT of energy in striving to be the best, rather than thriving. I lost sleep over how many books I read in a given week. I was anxious about everything I wrote because it never felt enough, not long enough or creative enough or written well enough, etc. I wanted to be THE best rather than MY best. This stress had a lot more to do with other things going on in my life, but I’m sure I’m not the only one who has every felt this way. Blogging was my hobby, but it kind of took over my life in a very negative way.

So here I am, constantly stressed out about what I was posting and how often and stats and all of that. I was also going to school year round, double majoring and working on a certificate, president of a campus organization, heavily involved in two other organizations, and had a whole host of personal issues I was working on. I had a lot on my plate. Blogging was the last thing I should have been worrying about. It was supposed to be my escape from the rest of the craziness in my life. It took almost two years for me to realize that being stressed out about my blog wasn’t worth it, that blogging was supposed to be a fun, low-pressure activity.

And that’s what I want to stress. I know how busy and stressful college is. And adding a blog on top of that can be A LOT. You might want to be like other bloggers who have big readerships or who posts every day, but sometimes that’s just not possible. It’s ok if you don’t post all the time. It’s ok if you only have a few dedicated readers. It’s also ok if you’re posting every day or reading thirty books in week (if you can do this, I greatly respect you). Just make sure that whatever you’re doing, whatever direction you take your blog in, that you’re having fun. After all, this isn’t a job or something you’re being forced to do. You chose to blog for a reason, and I’m going to guess it was to have fun, to share your love of books with other like-minded people. Don’t lose sight of that.

There will be times when blogging is unavoidably stressful. We all have deadlines or things we want to accomplish with our blogs at one point or another. That stress is normal. But don’t let that turn into something bigger, something that takes the fun away from blogging, because that’s not what this is about. It’s about enjoying the crazy and awesome ride of blogging, and of life.

~*~*~*~

Thank you so much for stopping by, Rachel! I think this post was very important!

Did this review help you in any way? Comment below with your thoughts or your personal experiences!

2 comments:

  1. I knew I had to check this post out when I saw it on Christina's weekly round up post, as I'm off to university in August and have been worrying about balancing blogging and school!

    Definitely some excellent advice. I'm hoping my blog will be a nice break from studying, rather than something else that I feel like I'll have to avoid or take breaks from at times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has definitely been the most helpful post for me. I'm a perfectionist of the Highest Order, and I'm really nitpicky about grades. If I see that something's affecting them, I cut it out of my life, no questions asked. If I start blogging, I don't want to look at it as an assignment that I have to get right, and I don't want it to affect my grades. I really want to have fun with it and manage it without the stress.

    (Also, this post is great for getting to know bloggers in college. I had no idea there were so many!)

    ReplyDelete