The Broadway Review: The Book of Mormon

Date Seen: April 29, 2014
Seating: Row E, Mezzanine
Cost of Tickets: $32 each
Ticket Source: Twitter Lottery
Rating: Two Gigantic Thumbs Up
The Book of Mormon follows two young missionaries who are sent to Uganda to try to convert citizens to the Mormon religion. One missionary, Elder Price, is an enthusiastic go-getter with a strong dedication to his faith, while his partner, Elder Cunningham, is a socially awkward but well meaning nerd whose tendency to embroider the truth soon lands him in trouble. Upon their arrival in Africa, Elders Price and Cunningham learn that in a society plagued by AIDS, poverty and violence, a successful mission may not be as easy as they expected.
  ~*~Journey to the Tickets~*~

These tickets have taken me forever to obtain! I've tried an in-person lottery and have failed over five times because they are so in demand, so I decided to take to Twitter and cross my fingers. Essentially, almost every Monday, the official twitter account of THE BOOK OF MORMON (@BookofMormon) runs a Twitter lottery for two tickets to their show. You have to check the graphic for each lottery because they are typically for New York residents only, but occasionally they have ones for a location that they are currently at for their National Tour. Those tickets are also for a specified date, typically a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday of the week that the lottery takes place.

So, I sit there and re-tweet and see that over 327 people have already re-tweeted this post. Knowing a little bit about the show, I decide to throw out this gorgeous tweet in addition to my RT:


About ten minutes later, the official BOOK OF MORMON twitter followed me. About three minutes later I could let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding had to throw that in there, Christina because I got a DM with the wonderful header: Congratulations!!! I pretty much had to prove that I was above 18, a NY state resident, and give them four different ways to idetify me. They then e-mailed me and went through the process again and gave me a six hour time slot the day of the show to pick up the tickets or they'd be forfeited to the in-person lottery. Me being the crazy person I am, I actually showed up late for a class in order to get the tickets at the only chance I had. And it was so, so worth it.

So, if you are lazy (like me) and live in NY state, you should totally follow @BookofMormon and keep giving this a chance! The worst that happens is that you take a minute out of your day to RT and not win. You can always do it again next week!

If you are at all curious, the above tweet was taken from this song:


~*~Lili's Reflections~*~


Hasadiga, everyone! If you don't know what that means, then go see the show to find out! I tried to lottery this in-person several times and had that shouted to me from the rooftops and knowing what it means now made the experience all the more hilarious.

I can't say much in regards to this one aside from the fact that it is absolutely hilarious. I think a huge part of the storyline is the fact that it truly is about two Mormon missionaries going to Uganda to try to convert people to Mormonism. Elder Price is a very, very good Mormon, but Elder Cunningham is the complete opposite. When the two of them team up, hilarious shenanigans are obviously about to ensue. But when you sit there thinking, "a show about two Mormons going to Uganada?! What can they do?!" Well, your thoughts are entirely justified. But they managed to make a full show out of this mission and it's so worth seeing, so much so that I refuse to even risk ruining the smallest bit of it for you.

My biggest piece of advice in regards to this show is that it's not for the easily offended or for the young. From where I was sitting I had a perfect view of the right-side theater boxes and watching a mother repeatedly cover the ears of her twelve year old child while he laughed maniacally was just as entertaining as the show. This is not for people who don't have dirty minds. I can't stress that enough. The song above is the cleanest song in the show, arguably. They have to ease you into the craziness, you know? It starts with this and then gets absolutely nuts.

Elder Price was absolute perfection, but a huge point of attraction for the show currently is that Ben Platt, who played Benji in Pitch Perfect, is playing Elder Cunningham. He is so freaking perfect and it's worth seeing it for him alone. He's imaginative, creative, flamboyant, and the ultimate fan-boy tied into a single character who is trying to change the world one wannabe Mormon at a time.

Bottom line? If you don't mind the occasional cuss and a heck of a lot of inappropriate humor, then go see this show now!

I mean...the creators of South Park wrote a Broadway show and the husband in the husband and wife duo that wrote the lyrics for Frozen wrote the lyrics for this. It's like I'm shoving my money in the face of those who work in the box office.

If you want a taste of some of the humor found in the show, check out another Tony performance of the song I Believe performed by the original Elder Price. The current Elder Price is in the clip above.



~*~*~

Read my other Broadway Reviews here!

To learn more about THE BOOK OF MORMON, check out its website here!

Please note: this is a new feature dependent on audience feedback about whether you want me to continue it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment