2014: The Summer of Series


So, a while ago I did this post on my inability to finish a series because I'm not ready to say goodbye. If you want to see me admit one of my most deepest bookish secrets, you can find that post here. I'm not talking a bunch of companion novels, I'm talking about a series with the full set of characters where someone is most likely going to die in the end. Probably not, but that's my biggest fear right there.


Since I began blogging, my ability to finish a series has gotten better. I'm slowly getting over the fact that it's okay to say goodbye because they're never really gone. Seriously, I think I get separation anxiety or something. But, in all actuality, my completed series count is still really pathetic.

So, this summer, I've decided to have a summer of series. I love getting review books and they're something that I will never neglect, but I want to read for me this summer. I find that when I read for myself, I'm much happier blogging.



I'm going to set up a goal for myself and at the end of August, when I move back to school, I'll see if I completed said goal successfully.


I want to read one full trilogy/series, start to end, each month.

Yes! You heard me right! In June, July, and August, I want to cover at least three series.

This is the plan...

~*~June~*~

The His Fair Assassin Trilogy  by Robin LaFevers

I have heard amazing things about this series and I picked up book three at BEA with the goal of finally reading it because I'm curious and I don't understand how Shae has put up with me this long without me having read it.

Because this post is going up about 2/3 through the month, I feel the need to update that I have already finished book one and have started book two. The summer of series is happening and it is well underway!

~*~July~*~

The Under The Never Sky Trilogy  by Veronica Rossi


 I've been threatened countless times to read this series, so it's time to get it done! I entered a few giveaways until I managed to win book three and now that I have all the books, it's time to get to work!

~*~August~*~

Since I have to leave for school again in August, I'm giving myself to permission to read a duology of my choosing. I'm willing to take recommendations for this one! I'm going to see where my reading tastes take me for August. Since I give myself permission for a duology, then I give myself permission to read two books from a previous started series to help catch up as well. I have my eyes on the following two series choice as options to finish out a series.

The last 2 books in The Pushing The Limits Series by Katie McGarry


The last 2 books in the Castle Glower series by Jessica Day George.


I want to finish a previously started series each month.

The plan was to complete three previously incomplete series. However, I noticed that I was going to complete two previously incomplete series anyway since two highly anticipated series enders release this summer. So, I'm really going to complete 5 series with their final book this summer: 2 whose last books are released this summer and 3 whose last book is already released and I want to be caught up. This is the plan:

   ~*~June~*~

Summer Series Ender #1: Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo 


~*~July~*~

Previously Started Series #1: Sentinel by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Previously Started Series #2: The Unbound by Victoria Schwab


~*~August~*~

Summer Series Ender #2: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins
Previously Started Series #3: Finding It by Cora Carmack


I want to begin the process of conquering one of my biggest bookish fears.

Lastly...I want to attempt to start the series to end all series. I have to read Harry Potter from the beginning to the end. I have read every book but the last one. There is no way that one can read the last one after years. One must read them all immediately. So, I am finally going to re-read the series and record my thoughts on my blog...somehow. I'm still trying to discover how. Armed with the beautiful special edition boxed set, I have to begin this goal. I may not get them all done this summer, but I have to be at least half way through by summer's end in order to make significant progress on this goal. This is just one of those things that I have to do.

Does anyone else have trouble finishing series? I'm taking the bull by the horns, so to speak, and changing that!

15 comments:

  1. I don't necessarily have trouble finishing them, but for some reason I just get behind. I'm doing something along the lines of why you're doing over the summer. I want to finish/catch up on the series I'm in the middle of. I'm not allowing myself to start a new one - unless only the first book is out, hehehe - until I finish what I've started.

    I created a GR shelf, "series in progress," to help me stay focused. I'm down to 25 now, but some of those books aren't published yet, so that helps. I think I only have 10 or 11 books to read before I'm caught up myself.

    Good luck with your challenge!

    Andrea @ Bookish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get behind too. As evidence by PUSHING THE LIMITS series by Katie McGarry. That is no excuse though, which is why I am launching this wonderful little game, so to speak, for this summer. I've gotta do this. I don't know when I'll get another opportunity to do so, so things must change now!

      Delete
  2. I have the same exact problem! A. I hate saying goodbye. B. I don't want to be disappointed C. It is expensive to keep up with all of these series!
    Sentinel was a great book. I cried a lot of tears, but it is not necessarily goodbye for that one because of The Return.
    You need to read Deathly Hallows, it is definitely an emotional roller coaster but it is fantastic.
    I think I want to push myself to start and finish some series. I have quite a few complete series that I just haven't read yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome if there was a readathon of sorts just focusing on finishing series or starting and finishing series

      Delete
    2. I was thinking of perhaps launching a series read-along throughout the year, but I was unsure if there would be enough interest. You know?

      Delete
    3. I have THE RETURN but I mean, we all know who she is going to end up with (obviously not Seth) so it's like goodbye to him and her, no?

      Delete
    4. You should definitely do the readalong! I have The Return, too. I am really just excited to be back in that world.

      Delete
    5. Totally agree! JLA is good at 3 things: creating arrogant bad boys that I love, world-building, and making me fan myself because it's getting so hot in here

      Delete
  3. Yes, I have so much trouble finishing series! For me, it is the wait time between books in a series that gets in the way. For example, I read Daughter of Smoke & Bone and Dreams of Blood & Starlight a year ago, but I had to wait for Dreams of Gods & Monsters. When April 2014 finally came, I did buy a copy of Dreams of Gods & Monsters, but by then, so much time has passed by that I forgot most of DoSaB and DoBaS so I have to reread them again if I want to read DoGaM, but I just don't have the time to with review books, work, school, and all that.
    I love your plan - I may do just this! As for duology recommendations, I highly recommend the Unraveling duology! It's one of my favorites! :D<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way! I started blogging because I forget books so often, but I read so many books now that it is impossible for me to remember series for real lol

      Do it! I'm thinking of launching a series read along challenge or something in January! Who knows.

      oooohhh I own those! I will keep those in mind!

      Delete
  4. OMG I am one of those people that reads the debut novel, and then never finishes the series O_O I've been doing really well this year in particular, forcing myself to read sequels and conclusion novels. Okay, "forcing" sounds really bad, but I mean that I go out of my way to make sure I read a sequel and the conclusion novel. If that makes sense D: I loved Grave Mercy and Dark Triumph, and I'll be finishing that series soon as well! The Under the Never Sky series is one I finished (a good series, at that!), I'll be reading Ruin and Rising soon... hmm, what's a series you haven't listed here that I want to finish... ah! The Lux series - I haven't read Origin yet (or Opposition, obviously). And Days of Blood and Starlight and Dreams of Gods and Monsters. *is scared*

    Anyway! I'm right there with you, Lili! Finishing series is definitely something I need to work on :o

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I usually try to keep up with them, but if I don't get an ARC or something I tend to fall behind because *drowns in review book pile*

      It makes me excited that you liked His Fair Assassin and Under the Never Sky. I have read the Lux series! (the first 3 books at least). I still have to read the 4th book and the unreleased final book, but I didn't think I was far enough behind in either of those to make me cry just yet haha and as far as Laini Taylor's series, I am choosing not to finish that one. I enjoyed book one in the moment, but I couldn't get into book two and I don't plan on attempting to pick it up again. I'm not missing it enough to make me mad.

      It makes me happy I'm not alone with this problem! lol

      Delete
  5. You know what I need to read, all the Throne of Glass books. I just got Heir of Fire and I haven't read the rest of them yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! I think I may end up finishing three series in July (TMI, Grisha, and Daughter of Smoke & Bone). I love the idea of bingeing a series. I need to read Girl of Fire & Thorns, I keep hearing so maybe I'll do that once work calms down.

    ReplyDelete