Reader's Choice Review #6: Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo

Series: The Grisha Trilogy #2
Publication Date: June 4, 2014
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 432 (Hardcover)
Source: Gifted
Recommended By: Gillian
Darkness never dies.

Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.

The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I don't know why I put this one off for so long! It was everything I hoped it would be and more. As expected from Bardugo, I was taken on an emotional roller coaster ride. There was triumph, there was tears, there was laughter, there was repeatedly hitting myself in the head for taking so long to read this only to scream happily when I realized that book three was not far away.

This review is going to be short and sweet because I am tongue tied.

Character-wise, this book shined. There was immense character arcs between every single character. Somehow Alina got even more kickass. Somehow annoying characters got even more annoying, but even their downward spirals were amazing. Characters who risked it all were either rewarded or hurt. And the new characters were pretty awesome, too. See, there's this awesome privateer that's snarky and fabulous and perfect. Honestly, if I just keyboard smash and scream STURMHONDDDDD, I think my review would sum up my views regarding the book very well. Sturmhond needs to be real, the Darkling needs to continue being evilly demented and perfect but not end up with Alina, and Mal needs to stop wallowing because he's making himself look a little sad. This girl has so many options, yet the lack of romantic focus is rather refreshing.

The plot in this book was really solid too. While some things were really obvious, others weren't. There was some shocking news and unforeseen events. As always, there was amazing foodie things and perfect detail. The world-building was as strong as ever and it only intensifies my love of this series while it simultaneously makes me never want to live in this world. Ever.

This story only cements the fact that Leigh Bardugo is a literary genius. She makes me laugh and cry and shout with glee. Her humor is perfect, her writing is absolutely beautiful, and her books are evil, yet I would not change a thing. I need book three...pronto!

If you have not read this series, you simply must! With book three's release literally right around the corner, now's the time to pick it up! If you don't, you'll regret it. This series can make even the most judgmental reader fall in love with the high fantasy genre.


5 stars

~*~Links~*~

 ~*~*~*~
 
If you have any book that you'd like me to read because you're unsure about it or you think it would be awesome to torture me with a terrible book, submit it below! I'd love for you to help me keep this feature going! I am re-starting it now that I have my reading schedule back. I am aiming for at least two of these features a month.

1 comment:

  1. SO, I will admit a flaw to you now, but hear me out. I read Shadow and Bone last year, and while I liked it alright, I did not love it. Not even close. However, I have decided, now that the final book is about to release, to reread it and try again. My best friend read books 1 and 2 and was raving about them. Seriously, she was fangirling, and girl don't fangirl! So, I am going to try and see if maybe, just maybe, it was ME instead of the story. That has happened before, and the second time I loved a book. I will give it a go with this series, but even if I still feel meh about S & B, I plan to read this one. Maybe it will blow me away! Thanks for your wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete