Review: On The Fence by Kasie West

Publication Date: July 1, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 320 (eARC)
Source: Edelweiss
She's a tomboy. He's the boy next door…

Charlie Reynolds can outrun, outscore, and outwit every boy she knows. But when it comes to being a girl, Charlie doesn't know the first thing about anything. So when she starts working at a chichi boutique to pay off a speeding ticket, she finds herself in a strange new world. To cope with the stress of her new reality, Charlie takes to spending nights chatting with her neighbor Braden through the fence between their yards. As she grows to depend on their nightly Fence Chats, she realizes she's got a bigger problem than speeding tickets-she's falling for Braden. She knows what it means to go for the win, but if spilling her secret means losing him for good, the stakes just got too high.

Fun, original, and endearing, On the Fence is a romantic comedy about finding yourself and finding love where you least expect.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

There is literally nothing negative I can say about this book. I read it several months ago when I was at a low-point in college and this was the perfect pick-me-up. Kasie West is a genius when it comes to cute, fun, and hilarious contemporaries. I cannot wait to see what amazing masterpiece she gifts us with next.

One of the best things about this book is the family dynamic. Unfortunately, Charlie lost her mother at a very young age, so she is raised primarily by her father and three older brothers. Really there's four if you count their next-door neighbor, Braden, who is practically family. I loved Charlie's father because he really did care for her, even if he had trouble relating to his only daughter at times. And the banter among her and her brothers was absolute perfection. All they wanted to do was protect their little sister, even if they had funny ways of showing that at times. This is a family dynamic that is so incredibly it is comparable to the Garrett family from MY LIFE NEXT DOOR by Huntley Fitzpatrick.

Seriously, the characterization of all her family members is spot on. Heck, all of the characterization in this book is spot on. I can't say one negative thing. Even characters who I thought I wouldn't like found a way to get on my good side, secondary characters included. If there's one thing that West will never fail to deliver, it's a diverse cast of characters that's easy to love.

Charlie is pretty awesome. Because she was the only girl in her family, she grew up as a huge tomboy. She loves to be one of the guys, really, which is why it's so strange when her new summer job inadvertently introduces her to feminine things like fashion and make-up and giggling over cute boys who she'd typically demolish at sports. Her journey to being comfortable with her feminine side, something she never explored because of the fact that there was no feminine authority figure in her life, was really sweet. All of it started at the hands of an unlikely ally and friend who I adore as well. Despite feeling like a fraud initially and experiencing many insecurities because of this, Charlie slowly embraces the unknown to realize that she can be feminine and get down with the guys all at once. All she has to do is be herself!

Then, of course, there is the romance. This is an absolutely adorable love story and I wouldn't change a thing. The love bug pinched Charlie unexpectedly, but that's what makes it all the more real. The story is charming and full of surprising depth in regards to her journey of self-discovery. And this love story is so unique. I'd go as far as to say that this match was simply fated. I couldn't imagine either of these characters being with anyone else because they were literally made for each other.

This book has no flaws. It's perfect for romance lovers and those who love banter. It'll make you laugh, it'll make you momentarily serious, but most of all, it'll make you smile and swoon. What more could you ask for? Kasie West delivers a perfect summer read that'll leave you begging to get your hands on more of her amazing contemporaries.



5 stars

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no compensation of any kind in exchange for my honest review.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. I can't wait to read it. I need to read The Distance Between Us by this author also. I loved Pivot Point and Split Second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have only read her contemporaries and I am OBSESSED with both of them. I need to get my hands on her other series for sure!

      Delete
  2. The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it was over. I loved this one! My favorite out of Kasie's books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first line of this comment is perfect and I may have to steal it! haha but seriously, this is my fave so far, too!

      Delete
  3. This one is next on my list and I'm excited. Huge Kasie West fan!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good, Jen! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. I have loved all the other Kasie West books that I've read, so I know I'll love this one as well!
    Great review, Lili! I really need to buy this one already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could be qualified for a free $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.

    ReplyDelete