The Broadway Review: Aladdin

Date Seen: June 1, 2014
Seating: Row E, Balcony
Cost of Tickets: $66 each (3 tickets)
Ticket Source: Bought
Rating: Two Thumbs Up


James Monroe Iglehart, also known as the Genie, won the Tony for best performance by an actor in a featured role in a musical!

~*~Summary~*~

Graphic taken from the Aladdin Musical website.



~*~Journey to the Tickets~*~

There's really no huge story to explain for this one because this is one of the few occasions that I was so desperate to see a show, I bought my own tickets! My Aunt told me she wanted to see a show with me for my birthday, so she offered to get us both an Aladdin ticket. Further down the line, I had a friend tell me she really wanted to see this show too, so I ended up buying my own ticket and her ticket to treat her to this show. My Aunt bought me a handy-dandy playbill binder instead, which was awesome.

In the end, my plans with said friend did not work out, so I invited Tabitha and we had an awesome time. This was her first Broadway show and I'm glad it was such a smash. Definitely worth having to pay full price for tickets. Truth be told, I was willing to pay a little more, but because we were trying to buy tickets only a month before the showing, they were all booked up. It was a miracle we got these!

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I initially was taking a break from this feature, but this show was so amazing that I simply had to review it!

Honestly, this show is worth seeing for the costuming and set design alone. The talent is amazing, too, but wow...the costuming and set design are absolutely mind-blowing. Just look at the Genie's costume in the clip below! This is the Tony's performance of FRIEND LIKE ME.


That performance was amazing, right? But I gotta tell you, for those who have seen the show, this was a rather sad performance. In reality, FRIEND LIKE ME is the hugest number of the show and it is roughly eight minutes long. Eight minutes of Genie strutting his stuff and being absolutely hilarious. If you ask me, Genie sort of steals the show and Iglehart simply embodies Genie. He IS Genie. I can't imagine anyone else ever being Genie.

Aladdin is pretty hot too, don't you think? He was pretty awesome, though not on Genie's level. However, I have to say that I was disappointed in Jasmine. She was a little squeaky and didn't have the same level of intensity as the othor main actors. Luckily, out of the three, she is on stage the least. The actor that plays Jafar actually voiced Jafar in the Disney movie. He is the first actor to make the voice-actor-to-Broadway-musical-stage transition, and I have to say that I really enjoyed his presence. He was rather successful with his new endeavor, if I do say so myself.

The secondary characters were very easy to remember. Kassim, the main friend out of Aladdin's three best friends, even outshined characters at certain times because he was so in the moment. Loud, obnoxious, and obsessed with his looks, he's pretty funny. Though Genie brings the most laughs, all characters have some amazing punch lines and this comedy is most definitely hilarious. I was laughing more then I thought I would.

In the end, there's no other way to describe this musical aside from saying that it is entertaining. The costuming and set is a marvel in itself. The story is a beloved tale. The jokes are hilarious, and the performances are full of amazing dancers and singing. There are several surprises throughout the show and even a never-before-heard song by Menken. How they encompass so many sets on one stage is awesome, but I suppose there is one way to truly stress how enjoyable this show is: when I walked out of it, I glanced at my watch and gasped. It is on the longer side, but it sure as heck did not feel that way.

If you haven't figured it out yet, this is definitely a show to see. If you love pretty things, see it. If you are a Disney fanatic, see it. If you like to laugh, see it. If you love Broadway, see it. If none of these are things you typically do and you want to try something new, see it. And if you want to do it in an affordable manner, look up the lottery rules! They do have a lottery for this amazing gem, though it is rather hard to win because the show is so popular.

There is nothing left to say but BRAVO!

~*~*~

If you want to read my other Broadway Reviews, look here! 

If you want to learn more about ALADDIN on Broadway, click here

Thanks for checking out my newly brought back feature, THE BROADWAY REVIEW. As always, all comments and thoughts are greatly appreciated. <3

7 comments:

  1. I saw Aladdin the week before the Tony's, over BEA week, and I agree it was SO FANTASTIC! Genie was amazing, and yes, I agree that Aladdin is hot ;) I loved Jasmine as well (she's one of my favorite Disney princesses!) Agree 100% that Friend Like Me was SO much better live than on the Tony's. The Tony performance didn't capture the same energy! I've been listening to the soundtrack non-stop this month! Loved the new songs A Million Miles Away and Proud of Your Boy. And the magic carpet ride was MAGICAL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The magic carpet ride was so well done! And just YES to this entire comment! The Tony performance was lackluster compared to what it is in real life.

      Delete
  2. I am so unbelievably jealous that you got to see this. Gahhh I miss living close to New York!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome if you were here! (And there are rumors it may go on a national tour?)

      Delete
  3. So jealous! I've seen a couple shows, but none have them have been Disney. Not that I would be incredibly picky if I got the opportunity to see a Disney show, but if I got to choose I'd see Beauty and the Beast because it's my favorite Disney movie. I'm glad Aladdin met your expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BEAUTY AND THE BEAST is no longer on Broadway! The only Disney shows on Broadway are ALADDIN, THE LION KING, and NEWSIES...which is leaving at the end of August D:

      Delete
  4. This would have been a lovely show to see on Broadway. I have seen the Disneyland play many times more than I have seen the actual Disney movie. It is such a great play at Disneyland that I think I would love to see it on Broadway. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.

    ReplyDelete