DNF Review: Mortal Danger by Ann Aguirre

Series: Immortal Game #1
Publication Date: August 5, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 384 (ARC)
Source: From Publisher For Review
Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Edie Kramer has a score to settle with the beautiful people at Blackbriar Academy. Their cruelty drove her to the brink of despair, and four months ago, she couldn't imagine being strong enough to face her senior year. But thanks to a Faustian compact with the enigmatic Kian, she has the power to make the bullies pay. She's not supposed to think about Kian once the deal is done, but devastating pain burns behind his unearthly beauty, and he's impossible to forget.

In one short summer, her entire life changes, and she sweeps through Blackbriar, prepped to take the beautiful people down from the inside. A whisper here, a look there, and suddenly... bad things are happening. It's a heady rush, seeing her tormentors get what they deserve, but things that seem too good to be true usually are, and soon, the pranks and payback turns from delicious to deadly. Edie is alone in a world teeming with secrets and fiends lurking in the shadows. In this murky morass of devil's bargains, she isn't sure who—or what--she can trust. Not even her own mind...
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I put this book down after a mere two chapters (33 pages). Such a thing is incredibly rare for me, but this book frustrated me so much that I couldn't continue. I haven't read anything else by Aguirre, but I know her Razorland trilogy and her adult steampunk have been super popular, so I'm a little shocked by this one being so full of frustrating cliches.

To begin, we're supposed to be able to pity our main character and feel for her. Edie is about to commit suicide in the very beginning of the book! But instead of feeling anything for her, I had a complete lack of emotional connection to her. This is because she is a walking paradox. The girl is incredibly intelligent, but has no common sense whatsoever, though this is an obvious trait that she inherited from her genius parents who don't even check paperwork properly. She tends to have a holier than thou attitude in regards to her views on the world, but quickly puts down alternating views of other people.

Also, the romance is made up of all things bad. Granted, it's not a romance yet, but I know it's going to blossom into one and I can't take it! The love interest, Kian, is other-worldly beautiful yet has a thing for Edie, who describes herself as the type of ugly that cannot be fixed. He's also her stalker. Seriously, he knows all of these creepy things about her because he's been using special powers (that have an unknown origin to me because I don't care enough to find out) and she isn't worried at all! She jokes that him transporting her home using some weird form of teleportation would be creepy, but the fact that he knows some of her weird secrets that not many other people know doesn't make her hesitate?! Common sense, girl. You have none...as evidenced by the fact that you so willingly follow him away from your death because you figured even if he is a murderer, you were going to die anyway. I wanted to shake her and scream "just stop!"

The underlying message of this book frustrates me beyond belief because it pretty much equates success to being pretty. If you aren't pretty, you are nothing. You can get nowhere in the world. You are worthless and you don't deserve to have dreams. Edie absolutely despises the pretty people for bullying her and hurting her because prettiness also equates to cruelty and stupidity, yet her very first "wish" is to become pretty. It's so hard to take her seriously when she "feels" with such great conviction and forgets herself pages later. Her obsession with hating pretty people and pretty things goes as far as her destroying a yummy looking strawberry milkshake because it looks like it came right out of a food magazine and was too beautiful to look at and touch.

As for the plot of this book, I have no idea what it is. There's something about warring corporations with different factions, wishes like genies except this weird paranormal creatures are not genies. However, you can't mention fairies because then Kian will become enraged and who wants the pretty-boy-with-muscles-you-never-noticed-a-boy-could-have-before-because-you-refused-to-look-at-unattainable-men-before mad? Just another example of the backwards thinking in this book with a plot that is really confusing and nothing at all like the blurb.

All in all, this book was not for me. It has been getting a few favorable reviews, but with my currently limited reading time due to both my job and my internship, I am choosing not to continue on with a book that frustrated me so immensely before I got 10% into it. However, please be aware that this is my personal opinion and many people are loving it. Choose whether or not to read this book based off of your own reading tastes.

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no compensation of any sort in exchange for my honest review.

11 comments:

  1. Oof! Just reading the beginning of the synopsis made me want to put this book down, and I'm not even reading it! I'm really surprised because I liked Ann Aguire's Razorland trilogy (though I haven't finished it). But the 'pretty people need to pay'? Ew. Not being able to connect with the MC or care about her isn't a good sign. And how could she do that to a milkshake? It didn't do anything wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read anything else by her, but I do plan on giving her Razorland trilogy a chance. From what I hear, this one is just really out of character for her.

      When I see a delectable milkshake I want to take a picture and then SLURP it up! I don't want to destroy the prettiness because it's pretty. -__-

      Delete
  2. I can imagine why you put it down! I feel the same about DNF'ing: if it is not for me I am not going to push myself through it :). I had high hopes for this book but I think that it just dropped a little on my wishlist. And like Lina said, it is really weird to take out your anger on a milkshake. I mean, that is just nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? What did the milkshake ever do to you?! It just wants to be eaten!

      Delete
  3. This is one my TBR for August, I really hope I like it but so many people have DNFed it :/ I hate to not finish a book but it may come to that if what you say is true, I cannot stand the pretty equals everything plots :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither can I. :/ I was hoping this one would be different. Granted, it may be different! I only got 33 pages in. I typically DNF at 1/3 of the way through so that I can better understand the plot, but this is a special case because of how busy my summer has been!

      Delete
    2. That is understandable. I am going to start it tomorrow :/ we will see how it goes.

      Delete
    3. Definitely tell me your thoughts!

      Delete
  4. Good Lord, I'm so glad that I didn't pick this one up. I have a feeling that it would have driven me nutty too. Thanks for the heads up girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing you, I don't think this would be a book for you because of our similar tastes.

      But some people are genuinely enjoying this one, so I think it all is a matter of taste. While it's not for me, other people like it. Like Alyssa from the Eater of Books is a good friend of mine who likes it.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm that's sad, I really enjoyed the Razorland series and I had seen she'd come out with some newer stuff but hadn't really read any reviews yet. Stinks that you didn't find it to your liking :/

    ReplyDelete