Knowing When Enough is Enough

This is not a post that is limited to college students. This is a normal discussion posted as part of my College Blogging 101 meme. 


College Blogging 101 is a weekly meme hosted by Lili's Reflections where a variety of hosts answer questions and give advice in regards to blogging in college. The purpose of this is to help upcoming college students and to create an open discussion forum. If you would like to write a guest post, please fill out this form. If you have a question you want answered, please fill out this form.

~*~*~*~

After nearly two years of blogging under my belt, there's one thing that I finally realized and that's that my gut knows when enough is enough.

Blogging is meant to be a hobby thus it is meant to be enjoyable. Odds are that when you find it is no longer enjoyable it is because you've allowed it to become burdensome. That means that after those busy work days and running errands, you may not have the energy to write a blog post or wrestle with HTML or anything. And a lot of the time you'll push through that feeling out of a sense of duty to publishers you owe reviews to, your followers, and you because you started this dang blog and you don't want it to end. In the end, a piece of content will go up. It may not be what you originally wanted it to be, but it's something going up on time on a date where you would have had nothing going up. 

Stop with that mindset. I know a ton of bloggers are guilty of it, me especially. That mindset is what leads you to believing your blog is no longer a hobby but a chore. And you've got to sit there and realize that you've done enough and you've earned this one day reprise.


Last week, for example, no college blogging 101 post went up on Sunday. Why? I was sick as a dog. In truth, I still am. But I had two days of work and two days of an internship under my belt on top of fighting a nasty cold and I was exhausted. I couldn't bring myself to stare at a computer screen for more than twenty minutes without getting a headache and when I tried to power through it, the content I produced was, well, crap. So I just let it go. And, in the end, I'm sorry I didn't get a post up, but I'm happy I didn't force myself to produce something that I wasn't proud of.

I always do my best to post the way I intend to at the beginning of the months, but things change. You can get sick, you can suddenly work overtime, you can just get stuck in a huge reading slump that throws off your game, your internet can go out...the list of things working against you can go on and on. There are times when you just have to sit there and take it, step away from the computer screen, and deal because enough is really enough.

Don't accept review books if you know they're going to overwhelm you. Don't set unrealistic goals of twenty million reviews a month. Between two blogs, I can barely manage ten a month, but I'm happy with my discussions and my reviews and my Broadway reviews and even my memes. In the end, I'm steadily posting over 20 posts a month and it's all content I'm not ashamed of. In the end, that's what matters. Well, that, and the fact that ya'll like the content I'm posting. ;)

In the end, you've just gotta know what you're capable of without stressing yourself out. And when you are stressed, take a step back. You set your boundaries and you are responsible for knowing what they are. Don't overstep them because that'll only end badly for you.

I've been taking things one step at a time since BEA and, honestly, I've been at my happiest blog-wise. If I can't get a post up, I just can't. I'm not stressing about it unless it's something I owed someone, and in that case I make sure I have those set a week in advance just in case. I know what my boundaries are and I'm taking it one step at a time. It's liberating...and I definitely recommend doing the same! It can really change your outlook on blogging, knowing what your limitations are.

And now to sign off with one of my favorite Pitch Perfect moments that describes how I feel about all of you....

*squeezes everyone who reads this post*
Share your comments below! Have you ever had trouble figuring out what, exactly, your blogging capabilities/limitations were before? It took me a while to figure it out, for sure!

12 comments:

  1. This is very good advice, especially since I am just starting. It is easy to get overwhelmed with all the ideas. I should not really matter what other people think about the quantity of your blog, as long as you are happy with the quality! Love you Pitch Perfect gifs, btw :) Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You as well (: Glad that you enjoyed this piece of advice.

      Delete
  2. I want to thank you for this advice, it really came at the right time! Next week I'm leaving for 11 days for a mission trip in Romania, and I was struggling a little with the decision that it would probably be best to have no posts, even prescheduled, during that time, because I really just can't. This post made me feel better about my decision, and I'll come back strong (hopefully with a new every weekend feature on my blog, as well as lots of good posts and reviews to write)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I go on vacation I announce I am going on vacation and there will be a brief hiatus for this long that'll end around this time (given a few extra days for jet lag) so I would definitely recommend doing that for your followers! Don't stress yourself out!

      Delete
  3. I like this post a lot! It's definitely good advice to stop getting stressed out about a hobby. Personally, I need to remember that sometimes. For me, I often get more stressed when I decide to take a "break", so then I end up working on things anyway, because relaxing stresses me out. I don't know why it has to be that way for me D: Since it's summer and my summer classes are over... I'll welcome the stress-free environment ;D

    Excellent post, Lili!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to write something like this for a while and on top of that I just didn't have it in me to post last weekend so I was like well...I should explain, hence justification and advice all in one! hahaha

      Delete
  4. This post is SO TRUE! I know a lot of blogger, and people in real life that feel this same way. Even I do at times. AWESOME post, I absolutely love it!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely some sound advice! :) I'm worrying about blogging whilst at uni, but I really just need to make sure I remember this post. If I don't post my normal posts every week, it's really not the end of the world. My readers know my circumstances will be changing.

    Thank you for this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is not the end of the world!

      Delete
  6. It's SO hard sometimes, but you're right. Mondays are normally my review days, and it felt really weird to not have a post this morning, but I was out of town for a wedding this weekend, so I didn't have anything ready to go, review or otherwise. I was getting ready to scramble to put something together, when I was like... why? Does it really matter if I don't post a review this week? It might make me a little twitchy, but that's still a better option than putting out a sub-par review or random filler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! I mean sometimes random filler is super fun, like memes, but it shouldn't dominate a blog and you should never be simply satisfied with the content you post, you should be happy with it.

      Delete