The Broadway Review: Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Date Seen: May 25, 2014
Seating: Orchestra
Ticket Source: Gifted from Gillian
Rating: Two Gigantic Thumbs Up

Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a musical comedy that tells the story of a fictional rock 'n' roll band, fronted by Hedwig, a transgender woman and “internationally ignored song stylist” from East Berlin.




Hedwig and the Angry Inch won best revival of a musical at the 68th annual Tony Awards.
Lena Hall won the Tony for Best Supporting Actress for playing Yitzhak.
Neil Patrick Harris won the Tony for Best Leading Actor in a Musical by playing Hedwig.
Hedwig and the Angry Inch also won for best lighting design.
Tied with A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder for most Tonys won at the 68th Annual Tony Awards!

~*~Journey to the Tickets~*~

I was actually sitting in a Panera eating an early dinner with my friend, Tabitha. I was in NYC for the day to hang out with her and to plan our BEA schedules together. Out of nowhere, I get a call from Gillian about the ticket. Tabitha can attest to the fact that there was a lot of thank you's and screaming and general freaking out on my end...in the middle of a restaurant! haha I caused a huge scene because I was so shocked and excited, but whatever.

I ran to a friend's apartment to change into something a little more appropriate and then headed to the Broadway theater! This ticket fell into my lap maybe three hours before the show. It was completely unexpected, but I am forever grateful because this is actually my current favorite musical of the Broadway season.  I initially wasn't going to review it with what little time is remaining in the run, but with the limited time extension I had to throw this up to insist anyone see it if given the opportunity to do so.

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This show guys...this show. I don't even know what to say aside from the fact that you have to see this show! It was initially scheduled to end on August 17th, but because of its success they are expanding the run. Starting August 20th, there is a limited eight week extension of the show, except Andrew Rannells will be replacing Neil Patrick Harris as Hedwig. I don't know how I feel about this decision. While I enjoyed him in THE BOOK OF MORMON as the original Elder Price, I don't know if he can compare to NPH's powerhouse performance. He's an amazing singer, though, so it looks like I may have to rush the show to see it for a second time so I can compare the two! *starts putting plans in place with my Broadway buddies at college*

Making this show happen was no easy feat. The producers actually put the show on hold a few years because they were so determined to get NPH on board and they wanted to do it when he was available to perform after the conclusion of How I Met Your Mother. Neil Patrick Harris, at 41, lost some weight and learned how to walk in heels. And, boy, can he strut his stuff. Seriously, he can do some things in heels that a lot of women can't even do. The man is a force to be reckoned with. He commands the stage and embodies Hedwig so perfectly that he literally carries the entire show on his shoulders. And, let me tell you, he is Hedwig. The show is downright hilarious, but a lot of the hilarity is actually improv. Neil Patrick Harris even yells at the audience when phones go off...as Hedwig. He seriously never breaks character.

If you want to see some of the intensity that is this amazing rocker, check out his Tony performance below for the song Sugar Daddy.


I was actually a little surprised when they picked this song for the Tonys. While I loved it, there are two songs from the show that wowed me a little more: The Origin of Love and Wig In A Box. This song is actually one of the more over-sexed songs of the show. This is a woman who just wants to be loved, so there is definitely a sexually charged atmosphere at times, but I felt like it reached a high point during this song. And that audience interaction? Yeah, he really does that during the show. But on an unrelated note, that kiss at the end?! Him and David Burtka are so freaking adorable! I love them together. A relationship born on Broadway! <3

Aside from NPH, really the only speaking role in the show belongs to Lena Hall, playing his husband Yitzhak. Their relationship is actually hilarious. Where Hedwig is loud and overpowering, Yitzhak is shy and quiet, though extremely talented. As the only female cast member, she holds her own and delivers a powerful performance while she goes through her own self-discovery on stage. Definitely a worthy adversary for Hedwig.

And the rest of the cast is made of the band, Tits of Clay. However, in the show, they're known as The Angry Inch. These guys are also disgustingly talented and awesome. Together, all of these people put on a powerful show that tells the story of Hedwig, an awesome German rocker that is pursuing her dreams after a botched sex change operation left her with an angry inch. This show will take you places you would never expect. You can laugh so hard you will cry, you will cheer and triumph with the characters, and you'll be left screaming for more.

This insanely talented individuals that make up this cast will take you on the journey of a life-time through a rock concert with no intermission. The feat is truly extraordinary. If you ever find the chance to see this show, do it!

And now...I must go replay the soundtrack that has been on infinite repeat since it was released! Stalk it on youtube if you get the chance! So, so worth it.

~*~*~

If you want to see my other Broadway Reviews, click here!

If you want to learn more about HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH, click here!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I want to see this show so badly, but I don't think it's going to happen. Unless plane tickets to NYC randomly fall into my lap sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete