Mini Review: A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall

Publication Date: August 26, 2014
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 272 (ARC)
Source: BEA 2014
The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together. Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out.  But somehow even when nothing is going on, something is happening between them, and everyone can see it. Their creative writing teacher pushes them together. The baristas at Starbucks watch their relationship like a TV show. Their bus driver tells his wife about them. The waitress at the diner automatically seats them together. Even the squirrel who lives on the college green believes in their relationship.

Surely Gabe and Lea will figure out that they are meant to be together....
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This book was written for all the readers who like to ship couples. Because not only are Gabe and Lea an awesome ship, but all fourteen characters in this book ship them and openly admit to shipping them at one point or another. This is a ship worth shipping, guys, and it's a book meant for us crazy fangirl shippers. Seriously...if you haven't figured it out yet...I ship them.

When I first heard about this book, I was simultaneously intrigued and very worried. A book told from fourteen perspectives is no easy feat. It would either work really well or end very badly. While some people seem to love the book because of this unique writing style, some people have also believed that such a thing makes the book very polarizing. I happened to love the perspectives. It was very easy to remember who everyone was because they all have such different personalities. Also, the bench and the squirrel were absolutely hilarious. If benches and squirrels had thoughts that could be heard, I'd imagine Hall hit the nail on the head with them. Whether it's the writing professor that likes to create romantic story-lines between her students, an obsessive Starbucks barista, or a relative, these characters all have one thing in common: they want Gabe and Lea together.

To put it simply, this book can be summed up in one word: adorable. I could seriously imagine little hearts flying around my head as I read my ARC. This book is just that cute. It makes me believe in this silly little thing called fate because these two were definitely fated. They're just so perfectly adorable and nerdy that they belong to nobody else but each other. There's nothing amazing about either of them. They're super ordinary and unique which is what makes them so great. It's not hard to relate to them.

Hall's debut novel has me curious about what else she produces. I couldn't even write a full-length review because I can't get my thoughts into words. While most of the book has been great, I had a few issues with Hillary and the slight slut-shaming that occurred with her. With that aside, the romance is cute because it's not all that dirty (very surprising these days). I would recommend this to any reader who likes a fluffy read because this is truly the ultimate pick-me-up.

Warning: There is some underage drinking and the occasional swear word in this book.


4 stars

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no compensation of any kind in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. THIS BOOK WAS SO CUTE! I loved it. I am a crazy fangirl shipper *raises hand and goes to fangirl AA*

    ReplyDelete