Top Ten Books I Would Give To Readers Who Have Never Read Fantasy


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

So...this was actually a really hard list to make. Luckily, my friend Tabitha has actually been my guinea pig for fantasy recommendations recently! haha

In no particular order...


1. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo - If you want to go all out with the swoons and addicting world-building, this is the series meant to make you love fantasy. Seriously. I have yet to meet someone I have forced this book on that hasn't liked it.

2. Shadowland by Meg Cabot - Though it's a fantasy novel because it deals with ghosts and the ability to see ghosts, Suz is a normal, sassy, hilarious girl. It's a good book for contemporary readers to transition into the genre with.

3. Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers - This is a historical fiction fantasy, so it's good for readers who like historicals. A solid cross-over, you know? It's also my go-to assassins recommendation now. Though I love THRONE OF GLASS, I know it's slightly hard to get into for some readers, so this is an easier transition book in my eyes.

4. Graceling by Kristin Cashore - This book is just amazing. I don't know how else to describe it. It's got an amazing strong heroine, a perfect love interest, an awesome world, and cool fantastical abilities with some violence sprinkled here and there for good measure. What more could you ask for?

5. Cinder by Marissa Meyer - This is a solid tale for fairytale lovers. If you liked Cinderella growing up, you're going to love this sci-fi/fantasy re-imagining. It helps that Meyer is an amazing author in general, so... haha <3

6. The Archived by Victoria Schwab - A very solid read for those who like darker novels. Schwab rocks with the dark airiness of her atmospheres. I would put VICIOUS on here, but I only recommend that one to indebted fantasy readers because of just how dark it is.


7. Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Though one of the main character is a confident and sexy alien, this also takes place in Virginia. So it's a good cross-over because aspects of it are completely normal, but it is also a great starting fantasy because it's addicting. Damon is so hot and if you like sexy men, you'll love this book.

8. The Sweetest Spell by Suzanne Selfors - This is another fairytale retelling, but it's cuter and more lighthearted. I mean...it's THE UGLY DUCKLING! There is chocolate in this story! CHOCOLATE! <3 While it isn't perfect, it's definitely a good start. Super enjoyable and not dark, so readers will love this, too.


9. The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen - This is actually a middle-grade, though it's meant for older readers. I highly recommend this one because it's good for both boys and girls, especially younger boys. The main character is a 14 year old boy that can outwit nearly anyone who comes into his path.

10. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan - I think this is self-explanatory. Good for readers of all ages and both boys and girls alike, Camp Half Blood is bound to turn any reader into a fantasy addict.

~*~Bonus~*~


11. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - I really hope I don't have to explain this one.

What do you think of my TTT list this week? Don't forget to link your lists below!

9 comments:

  1. Lots of great choices! Percy Jackson was one of my first introductions to fantasy, so it's definitely a good choice.

    Here's my TTT: http://bookworm716.blogspot.com/2014/08/top-ten-tuesday-emmas-guide-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I definitely think that you did a good job picking fantasy books that aren't super 'hardcore' so as to encourage new readers of the genre.

    'Shadow and Bone' and 'Cinder' are some of my all-time FAVORITES, and I really want to check out 'Grave Mercy' because I've heard so many good things about it! My sister has been bugging me forever to read 'Graceling', so I guess I should get around to that. I really want to read 'Obsidian', too, because Damon sounds like he would be right up my alley (why are all the sexiest guys named Damon??). And I really enjoyed 'The Sweetest Spell' because it definitely *was* a lighter fantasy (though the cover isn't exactly fantastic).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually read almost all of these. Woo hoo! It's hard to believe that just a few years ago I pretty much refused to read fantasy.

    I'll have to check out the Percy Jackson books as well as The False Prince.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite fantasy series is The Wheel of Time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Fantasy! Cinder and The Sweetest Spell would be great for turning readers toward fantasy. I'll have to check out some of the others!
    http://wonderousreviews.blogspot.com/2014/08/top-ten-books-id-give-to-readers-who.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are lots of great choices! I would probably go with something along the lines of PJ, HP, Narnia, and Megan Whalen Turner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good list! I need to read those Meg Cabot books!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Grave Mercy, Shadow and Bone, Cinder and Obsidian and I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are a lot of great books in this top Eleven. I only read Harry Potter, Cinder & The Lightning Thief, but I have Grave Mercy and Graceling on my shelves. All the others are on my wishlist though, haha :).

    ReplyDelete