2014: Summer of Series Recap Post

If you don't remember or if you're new to the blog, back in June I decided that 2014 would be my summer of series. You can find that post here, but if you don't want to read the outline, I'll do a quick recap of why I did this and what my goals were. And then I've gotta tell you if I met those goals.

I decided to do this because I have a terrible issue with finishing series. Of course, this was a worse problem for me prior to blogging. Now that I am a blogger, this issue of mine is getting better, but it's still an issue. This summer was meant for me to pick up some series I was scared to because of my inability to say goodbye to characters, as well as finish some series that I've been waiting to for a while.

It happened in stages.

~*~Stage One~*~

Read a full series each month, with the exception of August where you can read a duology or the last two books in a series because of school.

Verdict: 2/3 of the way there  


  1.  I read the entire His Fair Assassin Trilogy and fangirled over all three books: Grave Mercy, Dark Triumph, and Mortal Heart.
  2. I'm counting Dangerous Boys & Dangerous Girls as a duology because they sort of are related, you know?

~*~Stage Two~*~

Read the last five books in a series over the course of the summer. It's five and not six because of August being a month to pack for school.

Verdict: 3/5 of the way there.

  1. Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
  2. False Future by Dan Krokos
  3. Isla & The Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

~*~Stage Three~*~

Start my re-read of the Harry Potter series. 

Verdict: 2/7 of the way there.
  1. Sort of obvious, I re-read the first two books.
~*~How I Think I Did~*~

Statistically, it looks like I failed, but in the end this was a challenge. It was a challenge to not only read a lot of series and complete many, but to help break me out of a habit. Every book on the list above was a struggle for me to get through. Why? Because of my weird "I don't want to say goodbye therefore I'll just never finish the series" syndrome. There were countless times where I picked up UNDER THE NEVER SKY or another trilogy/final book then just put it down because it didn't feel like the right time to read it. But I got through those two series as a whole and completed another three. And furthermore, I started the Harry Potter re-read, though I'm just going to re-start it over winter break so I can truly read them back to back.

Honestly, I think that I could have completed my realistic goals if I had a better start to my summer. July and August were absolutely awesome, but I ran into some unecessary drama in June that makes me laugh constantly now at how high-school it all was. But with that behind me, I know that when I attempt my summer of series #2 in 2015, I can do better than this. And, furthermore, I'm a few steps closer to conquering a really weird reading habit of mine.

So tell me, do you have the same issues as me? Do you like my series idea? Would you be interested in making this an event for a group of people in the summer or doing your own version of it? Comment below with your thoughts! <3

2 comments:

  1. I like to finish series. I just cannot stand the feeling of something that is half-finished. I do however have the annoying tendency to only read the first book and than wait forever because I do not have the other books on hand... I think you did really great, especially considering it is such an issue. You made progress on 5 series! Nice job :)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm working on finishing a lot of series also before the year is over. I have started quite a few series, but haven't finished them. I want to finish the last books in about three series before the year is done. We will see how I do. I think you did great with your goal. I couldn't get into Under the Never Sky either. I decided not to read the series.

    ReplyDelete