Review: Lick by Kylie Scott

Series: Stage Dive #1
Publication Date: October 11, 2013
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Reading Level: New Adult, 18+
Pages: 286 (Kindle eBook)
Source: Gifted (Thank you!)
Waking up in Vegas was never meant to be like this.

Evelyn Thomas's plans for celebrating her twenty-first birthday in Las Vegas were big. Huge. But she sure never meant to wake up on the bathroom floor with a hangover to rival the black plague, a very attractive half-naked tattooed man in her room, and a diamond on her finger large enough to scare King Kong. Now if she could just remember how it all happened.

One thing is certain, being married to one of the hottest rock stars on the planet is sure to be a wild ride.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

This book was all kinds of fun. When it comes to new adult, any book that is sexy and hilarious automatically hits the mark. I flew through this because it's super entertaining despite plot flaws, but I have to say I overall enjoyed it despite the fact that I am completely aware of the fact that I liked it more than I should have.

This is going to be a hard review to write, so I'm going to do it in what I liked versus what I didn't like style.

What I Liked:
This book was downright hilarious. Let's just say that waking up in Vegas is supposed to be fun. The worst thing that could ever happen in Vegas is waking up with a ring on your finger when you don't know who it belongs to. The next worst thing is then proceeding to vomit on the person who gave you that fancy ring. At least in Evelyn's case, it's a nice, big five carat ring. The secondary characters, specifically Mal, are a riot. Go ahead and add the rest of the band onto the things I liked about this book list.

This book is really sexy. Granted, there's a lot of sex in this book, but it's just really sexy. Yeah. Don't let anyone under the age of sixteen read this though...seriously.

David's also an awesome character. I have my issues with him, but the whole rockstar with a secret heart of gold is something I enjoy. Also, near the end, after he underwent a sort of character evolution I really loved him.

Evelyn's overall story arc was strong. There was some craziness inbetween, but seeing how she changed from beginning to end was nice. It's not a good girl gone bad story per se, it's more the type of story where a girl learns about her true self and breaks out of her shell, even if that means confronting her parents about the type of person she really is.

The ending was what I wanted it to be. It was cheesy and perfect and sexy/adorable all at once. Typically not an ending I'd approve of, but there's just something about this book, guys. There's nothing else I can really say. Plus, this is a quick read so it won't take long to get to the ending.

What I Didn't Like:
This is obviously an intense case of insta-love. I'm not really a fan of it, but I guess it just worked in this. Because we have to suspend reality to believe everything else in this story, it just becomes easier to think that you can surprisingly meet your soulmate after taking a ton of tequila shots in Vegas. So I'm just going to go ahead and throw an unbelievable plot on this part of the list because if this was any other book, I probably wouldn't have loved it as much as I did.

I disliked David as much as I liked him. He was really controlling at times and he didn't always make sense with his desires and over the top reactions when it came to his lovely new wife. However, he was also really caring. I understand he had issues and when he overcame them he was perfect, but when he was still dealing with the issues the author almost used them as a crutch to let him act a little nutty at times.

Evelyn's inexperience was brought up way too much. I get that the author was trying to make David perfect and have him care for her, but it was brought up all the damn time. And while I enjoyed how she didn't hesitate about explaining things hurt and this and that, I hated how it was constantly her suddenly being brazen then shy, brazen then shy. We get it, she's inexperienced, moving on past the 100th mention of this.

The Overall:
Overall, this is a really good book if you want a quick, sexy, and entertaining read, though it's only believable if you're willing to suspend reality. If you can't suspend realism, then this may not be for you. With that in mind, I'm a stickler for realistic expectations and I blew through this book with a huge grin on my face. To be honest, I absolutely loved this. Granted, I loved this book more than I know I should have, but I loved it nonetheless. Because of the list above, I can only give this book a three star rating, but if emotions were involved it would probably be a higher rating. I mean, I couldn't even write a proper review because this book scrambled my brain so much! That's saying something!

Now...onto book two. Mal was my favorite and I can't wait to read his story!


3 stars

~*~Links~*~

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun read! I love New Adult. Sometimes is is great to just enjoy a book for the sake of enjoying it. I definitely need to buy this and save it for a pick me up read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh tell me what you think! I can lend you my copy one day if you wanna just chill at school one day.

      Delete