Top Ten (Fifteen *cough*) Books I Read in 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

15 in honor of 2015, duh! At least there's a decent excuse for breaking the rules for this one. This list is subject to change because we still have 2 weeks left in the month and I have a lot of awesome reading material left! In no particular order...


1. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta- This was my most recent Epic Rec from Bekka and I loved it so much I still haven't managed to properly formulate a review, though I am expecting to be able to post one this week.

2. Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay- If you ask me, this book was so much better than all of her other retellings. Granted, I love Jay's writing, but this was just on an entirely different level. And that's saying a lot because I adored OF BEAST AND BEAUTY.

3. The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord- This book, guys, this book. It leaves me speechless. It's way too early to share my review, but I'll say it was even more poignant, beautiful, and powerful than her debut (that I also loved!) OPEN ROAD SUMMER, and that's saying something!
 

4. I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson- I read both this and THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson within three months of each other. I loved them both and I'm officially a Jandy Nelson fangirl, but I have to say that IGYTS is just so...wow. WOW.

5. The Kiss of Deception by Mary Pearson- While it wasn't perfect, I am dying to see everything that happens next in this series! It was just short of perfect in my eyes and I am coveting its sequel like no other.

6. One Man Guy by Michael Barakiva- Having a gay best friend makes me love LGBTQ fiction that he feels he can relate to, and I loved this book because it's so simple and perfect and that's what makes it so wonderful.


7. To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han- Yeah...I still haven't written my review after over seven months of having reading this because I just can't word when I think about it.

8. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge- One of my favorite books of the year, hands down. A dark, beautifully written fairytale retelling? Sign me up ten fold! It seriously blew me away.

9. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot- Yeah, this entire series was made of awesomeness. I can't believe I waited so long to read it!


10. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas- SWOONY FAERIE MEN!!!!! I don't really know what else to say in regards to this book because it makes me want to dance around chanting about all the swoony, hot faerie men I've encountered. I mean, plus, the plot is mind-blowing and it's super well-written, so there's that, too. But, really...the men. Yes.

11. Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas- This was a book that I didn't expect to love as much as I did, but I sure as heck loved it. It's surprisingly powerful despite its unique delivery and I will be book pushing it on everyone in 2015. Thank you, wonderful internship, for allowing me to read this one early.

12. Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers- I binged this entire series this year, so really all of the books deserve a spot on this list, but I loved the final book more than anything else and want to give it a shout out specifically. I cannot wait to see what else LaFevers has in store for us in her beautifully intricate world with wonderful characters.


13. Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas- I still haven't written my review after over five months because, just, wow. I love Sarah too much. Coherency goes out the window. Cannot word, vair hard, logic what?

14. Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard- This ending! It made me bawl and it tugged at my heartstrings and it killed me in every possible way and I loved every minute of it because I can never not love Susan Dennard.

15. Prisoner of Night and Fog by Anne Blankman- I was a bit iffy going into this one, but I really loved how dark and historically accurate it was. Definitely a series I'll continue to look out for!

Don't forget to link me to your TTT posts below!

28 comments:

  1. Aah, I'm SO excited to hear something about BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER MEET ME! I've been so curious about that book, and I'm so excited to hear it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS SO GOOD, DAHLIA! Like, you wouldn't expect it, but it is!

      Delete
  2. I really need to read Jandy Nelson's books! I also want to read Prisoner of Night and Fog and Kiss of Deception so I'm glad to see them on your list. So jealous you've read Court of Thorns and Roses, but glad to hear you loved it. Great List!
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jandy Nelson is a goddess.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Ahhhhhh I need to give Jellicoe Road anothe chance, I really do.

    I bought Nikki Princess of Thorns for Christmas because of how much you loved it. I knew she had it on hold at the library but it was clear from your review that she needed a finished copy.

    CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE START OF ME AND YOU (I still haven't read ORS yet obviously which you know) but I'm going to read them both very very soon.

    I'm super curious about The Kiss of Deception but I'm not sure I want to start a new series.

    I'll Give You the Sun will forever be my absolute hands-down favorite book of 2014. I want to read it over and over.

    YAY MORTAL HEART. It was my favorite of the series.

    Heir of Fire is perfection. ROWANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

    I need to hurry up and binge the Susan Dennard series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU REALLY DO, ANGIE! YOU MUST!

      Ahhh thanks so much for valuing my opinion and helping to force perfection onto Nikki.

      YOU HAVE TO READ THEM BOTH IN THE ORDER THEY CAME OUT SO YOU CAN APPRECIATE HOW HER WRITING CHANGED BETWEEN THE TWO BOOKS!

      I get you about worrying about a new series.

      It's definitely in my top 3! Same, same, same.

      SAME! Balthazaar for life! <3

      YOU NEED TO BINGE IT NOW!

      Delete
  4. THE MEDIATOR SERIES, YESSS. I love those books and am super excited that we get another book added to the series. Super jealous you've read A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES, and HEIR OF FIRE made my list too. I really need to read PRINCESS OF THORNS because it's getting really hyped!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAASSSSSSSSS. The Mediator series <3

      PRINCESS OF THORNS IS GENIUS! READ IT NOW! <3

      Delete
  5. SO MUCH YES IN ONE POST. Particularly Jellicoe Road! You have no idea how happy it makes me that you loved this enough to include in your top list! I know that book could have gone either way but I loved it.

    I have a hard time narrowing down which book from the His Fair Assassin series is my favorite. Each book, and each heroine, offers something completely different. It's basically impossible to rank them.

    HEIR OF FIRE. What I love about that series is that it just keeps escalating and getting better with each installment. I seriously cannot wait for ToG 4. I need a title! I need a cover! I need it in my hands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES YES YES! I mean, I know you'd eye that one since you made me read it. Thank you for being such an awesome Epic Recs partner <3

      Yes! Except I think book two and three are significant better than book one in the His Fair Assassin Trilogy.

      I CANNOT WAIT FOR BOOK FOUR IN TOG!!! I CANNOT WAIT!

      Delete
  6. Every time I think about Jellicoe Road, it renders me speechless because of how frickin' amazing it is. I'm so glad you loved it!

    Yesssss @ I'll Give You the Sun. That book is incredibly beautiful. I always have a hard time making intelligable sentences of its awesomeness. This book convinced me that Jandy Nelson is fabulous. (And she really is in person.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so shockingly amazing! I wasn't expecting it to be!

      Jandy Nelson is fabulous, though. YOU'VE MET HER?! I AM SO JEALOUS!

      Delete
  7. Ooh! I loved Jellicoe Road!!! It's such a fantastic book! Check out my top 10 list!

    http://rabbitearsbookblog.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-8-top-10-books-i-read.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that people out there can not love Jellicoe Road. It is perfection!

      Delete
  8. I am reading Princess of Thorns over the holidays, so I'm glad it's good! There are many books on this list that I have in my pile, so this gives me hope!

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHhhh I can't wait to hear what you think! Yay, I'm so proud ;)

      Delete
  9. Cruel Beauty made my list as well! :) Thanks for sharing!! Here's my Best books of 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good!

      Thank you for commenting (:

      Delete
  10. Ooh they're so prettyful! I really want to read all o f these. Princess of Thorns is extremely high up on my wishlist, as I've heard utterly amazing things about it. I also really want to read The Start of Me and You, Court of Thorns and Roses, Cruel Beauty and To All the Boys I've Loved Before! Everyone has been raving about the Throne of Glass series, so I'll definitely be picking that up soon.

    Great list! :)

    Kyra @ Blog of a Bookaholic
    My TTT Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prettyful indeed!

      I recommend them all, obviously ;) I hope you enjoy them and they live up to the hype in your eyes!

      Delete
  11. I have no idea how you kept your list to only 15 books. I went way over that, lol. I definitely found myself nodding at several of your choices, particularly The Start of Me and You and Prisoner of Night and Fog.
    Here's my TTT, if you're interested: http://bookworm716.blogspot.com/2014/12/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-books-of-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheated enough with the 15, I felt too guilty going over haha But, hey, if you went over that means you had an amazing reading year!

      I'm so happy you agree with some of my choices <3

      Delete
  12. So many great books! I love so many of them like Mortal Heart and To All the Boys I've Loved Before~ Can't wait for The Start of Me and You and ACOTAR!!

    Eileen @ BookCatPin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many great books, indeed! <3 Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. I'm hoping that my copy of Sarah's new book shows up soon! Gah, your list is so good! I just started To All The Boys last night and I already kind of love it! Great list as always!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I apparently need to read a lot of books in 2015! They are on my to read list but I have not read any of the books you listed! I have read Of Beast and Beauty and loved it though! And I read the first book, Something Strange and Deadly this year so I do plan to continue to read the series! Happy Holidays :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh Ashley, if you read even half of these you have a kickass year ahead of you!

      Delete