2014 End of the Year Book Survey!

I waited until now to complete this survey because I wanted to make sure I included all books I read in 2014!

Thank you, Jamie, for hosting this awesome survey!

~*~2014 Reading Stats~*~

1. Number of books you read: 100
2. Number of Re-reads: 1 (Seraphina by Rachel Hartman to prepare for Shadow Scale!)
3. Genre you read the most from: 44 books were somehow related to the fantasy genre. Not surprising at all, I'm a bit of a fantasy nut.

~*~Best in Books~*~

1. Best book you read in 2014? 
Best backlist book: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Best contemporary: I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson
Best fanasy: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Best 2015 release: The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
Best retelling: Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge
Best reimagining: Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay 
2. Book you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't?
The Maze Runner by James Dashner. I thought this would be deserving of the hype, but gah, the writing was not for me at all. One of the rare instances where I liked the book more than the movie. If this question means a book that I ended up liking but still hugely disappointed in, then Hellhole by Gina Damico.

3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
The most surprising book, in a good way, was Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas. This book comes out in 2015 and it's written in all letters, which is something I typically don't like, but I freaking loved this book! It is so beyond powerful.

4. Book you "pushed" the most people to read in 2014?
I pushed I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson onto seven people successfully (that I know of), so I am going with that one!

5. Best series you started in 2014?
I binged the His Fair Assassin Trilogy by Robin LaFevers in 2014 as well as The Mediator series by Meg Cabot in 2014. Both deserve this honor for different reasons, but they both completely blew my mind and made me fall in love.

6. Best sequel of 2014?
The best sequel I read released in 2014 was Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas, however, the best sequel I read in 2014 that will be released in 2015 is Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. In all honesty, they're both on the same level in my eyes and rating-wise.

7. Best series ender of 2014?
Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers or Strange and Ever After by Susan Dennard, hands down both got the job done the way a series ender should. I was expecting it to be Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo, but that's actually the worst series ender I read this year, in my opinion.

8. Favorite new author you discovered in 2014?
Ahhh only one?! Robin LaFevers, Emery Lord, Melina Marchetta, Jandy Nelson, Rosamund Hodge. Psh, I gave you five instead of ten. Be thankful. ;)

9. Best book from a genre you don't typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas, probably. I kind of hate really creepy things and this was beyond creepier than book one since we're in the mind of a sociopath, but yeah, I did enjoy it.

10. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman. I know it's not out yet, but I have never burst through a 600 page book the way I did this one. Truly unputdownable.

11. Book you read in 2014 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord, for sure! This book is just so perfect in so many different ways.

12. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2014?
I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson. I am all for minimalistic simple covers that are beyond gorgeous and this one does win.

13. Most memorable character of 2014?
Jonah Griggs from Jellicoe Road- I cannot stop thinking about this boy. He is so beyond dynamic and complex that I can't even begin to describe him.

14. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
Ahhh ahhh ahhh I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson tied with The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. Just anything penned by Jandy Nelson.

15. Most thought-provoking/life-changing book of 2014?
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta was definitely my most thought-provoking book of 2014.

16. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
This is a tie between The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson and Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I am such an idiot for putting both of these off.

17. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2014?
Blah, so hard. I'm going to go with: "She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one." This is from Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas and dang, is it powerful.

18. Shortest & longest book you read in 2013?
Longest: Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman at 608 pages
Shortest: The Ice Dragon by George R. R. Martin at 112 pages.

19. Book that shocked you the most?
Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, yup lots of shocks in this one, including the identities of the prince and the assassin! So many twisty turns that I need book 2 like yesterday!

20. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
AHHH AHHH AHHH
Jonah and Taylor from Jellicoe Road and Paige and Max from The Start of Me and You. However, both of those are contemporary relationships and I need me some fantasy lovers so...Ror and Niklaas from Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay and Annith and Balzthazaar from Mortal Heart, too!

21. Favorite non-romantic relationship of the year?
Scarlet and Much from the Scarlet trilogy by A.C. Gaughen. I just love Much so much and he is so dedicated to Scarlet as a friend, ally, and brother-like figure. And I loved him in book three, too!

22. Favorite book you read in 2014 from an author you've read previously?
Welp, Sarah J. Maas gets this one with Heir of Fire and her newest, A Court of Thorns and Roses. However, to throw in some diversity, Breathe, Annie, Breathe by Miranda Kenneally was also the best of her books yet that I've read this year.

23. Best book you read in 2014 that you read based SOLELY on a recommendation from somebody else/peer pressure?
Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. I would not have read this book if my Epic Recs partner, Bekka, didn't force me to. And look at it! It's now an all-time favorite.

24. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
See OTPs of the year...Jonah from Jellicoe Road and Max from The Start of Me and You.

25. Best 2014 debut you read?
Cruel Beauty by Rosamond Hodge to satisfy the fairytale retelling nut in me Open Road Summer by Emery Lord to satisfy by mushy romance loving side.

26. Best worldbuilding/most vivid setting you read this year?
Snow Like Ashes has the most vivid setting and interesting world-building! It seems so basic at first, but then it grows into something so complex and unique.

27. Book that put a smile on your face/was the most FUN to read?
Mistletoe and Mr. Right by Lyla Payne because I never really read a Christmas-centric story before this one and it was damn funny!

28. Book that made you cry or nearly cry in 2014?
The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord had me bawling, but so did Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta.

29. Hidden gem of the year?
Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay. I feel like the book blogging community is obsessed with it, but in reality, a lot of the world doesn't know about it. It's flying under the radar too much for my liking.

30. Book that crushed your soul?
I waited to read Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen until I got my hands on book three, Lion Heart (which, thankfully, did not crush my soul!). Even reading them back to back, Lady Thief still crushed my soul. A lot. Forever.

31. Most unique book you read in 2014?
The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black was the most unique book for reasons I can't even explain. This was my last read of 2014 (number 100! yay!), but it kind of took on a life of its own and went places books haven't gone before.

32. Book that made you the most mad?
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma made me so mad because I was so confused and I certainly did not like it because of this.

~*~Your Blogging/Bookish Life~*~

1. New Favorite book blog you discovered in 2014?
Impossible to answer, sorry! I read many many blogs and just, agh, I am not one to pick favorites.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Probably Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay because I managed to be analytical and make sense without keyboard smashing and screaming NIKLAASSSSSSS!!!!

3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
I did a post about how I felt like I was hit by the blogger insecurities fairy. I lost my confidence in blogging for a while, and so many people came out of the wood work as commenters and on twitter to tell me that I am not alone. It was wonderful to see how tight-knit this community really is and how even when we are down, we are genuinely not alone.

4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc)?
Does being an intern at the publishing house that brought me greats like Sarah J. Maas, Simone Elkeles, Jessica Day George, Robin Benway, Trish Doller, Tiffany Schmidt, A.C. Gaughen, and more count? Because interning at Bloomsbury was the highlight of my year and will probably continue to be into 2015.

5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
When I realized that my blog helped me to land my dream internship. Also surpassing 800 GFC subscribers because when I started this little old blog I never saw that happening.
6. Most popular post this year on your blog (whether it be comments or views)?
My trip to Israel recap has the most views I've ever gotten on a post that is not a giveaway.

7. Post you wished got a little more love?
All of my posts, really. I always want at least one comment on all my reviews and to see a few like I'll Give You The Sun that got none is a bummer, but also my Broadway Review series. Broadway is a passion of mine and I'd love to see that others are seeing my passion show in them. Those posts take a lot of time to write, you know?

8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc).
I didn't really discover anything new this year, but I helped others discover The Strand. Does that count?!

9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I read 100 books while balancing an internship, two on campus jobs, a full class schedule, and a somehow existent social life! YAAAASSSSSSS!
 
~*~Looking Ahead~*~

1. One book you didn't get to in 2014 but will be your number one priority in 2015?
The Young Elites by Marie Lu! This book was released when I was in a bit of a reading slump and I skipped over it in favor of attempting to keep up with review books. I've never stopped kicking myself because, hello, it's Marie Lu!

2. Book you are most anticipating for 2015 (non-debut)?
If I hadn't read them already my answer would be A Court of Thorns and Roses and The Start of Me and You, but since I've been fortunate enough to read them I am going to go with Heart of Betrayal by Mary E. Pearson, Throne of Glass #4 by Sarah J. Maas, Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, and Remembrance by Meg Cabot.

3. 2015 debut you are most anticipating?
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard looks so freaking good my mouth waters just thinking about it, but the same goes for The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury. They are both right up my alley and I know I will love them.

4. Series ending/a sequel you are most anticipating in 2015?
THRONE OF GLASS NUMBER FOUR!!!!! HEART OF BETRAYAL!!!!!!

5. One thing you hope to accomplish or do in your reading/blogging life in 2015?
I hope to build a better relationship with my followers by being a little more personal on my blog. I want everyone to know just how appreciated they are and know how much I truly care <3 Plus, I feel like this is the best outlet for me right now to talk about the craziness that is my life, so I hope to find the guts to do that.

6. A 2015 release you've already read & recommend to everyone:
-The Start of Me and You by Emery Lord
-A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
-Because You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas
-All Fall Down by Ally Carter
-When by Victoria Laurie
-Lion Heart by A.C. Gaughen
-The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
-Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman
ugh, just all the books! <3

This was a doozy of a post, but I'm shocked to find that my answers varied so much (for the most part!) Don't forget to comment below with your thoughts and your own end of the year surveys! <3

4 comments:

  1. WOW! This must have taken forever to write up. Red Queen was amazing! So many of your favorites are books I have yet to read. I must rectify this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU MUST RECTIFY THIS IMMEDIATELY!

      Delete
  2. I am really excited to read ACOTAR! 100 books this year... that is super impressive! I was bummed out I did not get more last year but hopefully I do better this year! I also plan to read Cruel Beauty soon :)

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't make my own goal, so I understand completely! YOU WILL BLAST THROUGH CRUEL BEAUTY! <3

      Delete