Introducing: The Intern Diaries!

Thank you, Dana, for this lovely banner!

After my first internship at a literary agency, I put together a free-flowing post about what I learned. Well, now that I am at Bloomsbury, I want to do the same thing as I go, but share it with my readers since I'm quickly discovering that many of you aspire to do the same thing that I am doing now! With 5 months under my belt and several more to go, I think now's a good time to start recording my thoughts! This post series will be posted on Sunday's whenever I get the time.

Future posts include: Netgalley, requesting etiquette (from the other side!), galley letters and press releases, blog tours (from the other side!), and perhaps some Q&A if any of you have a lot of questions!

~*~*~*~*~

Today's Topic: Social Media

I think what's really cool about me interning is that I am a blogger and, well, most people who read this post will be bloggers, too. To most of you, I was a friend and fellow book nerd before I was an intern. And, to some of you, I was an intern you communicated with that you then befriended as a blogger. But, for me, it is very important to keep these two aspects of myself separate because one day I will have to leave blogging in favor of continuous internships and a heavy focus on one day getting hired as a full-time employee at a house.

However, as a blogger that is currently also an intern, social media is suddenly a different animal for me. I obviously still use it to communicate with other bloggers and express my bookish feels that can't help but be let out, but I can't really use it to talk about my internship, per se. Because, as an intern, my internship shouldn't follow me home. There are many, many, many things I experience on a day-to-day basis that I am not allowed to talk about. I can pretty much describe the basics of what I do in office (which I can describe in more detail through this post series), and I can answer basic questions along the lines of where do I send in blogger requests for Bloomsbury? If you're wondering, this is the e-mail address that you send in requests at: teensusa AT bloomsbury DOT com.

Otherwise, I'm not the one to go to for answering questions via social media because my social media accounts are not that of a professional. You can ask me questions at my work e-mail and if I am allowed to answer them I will, and if I am not they would simply get forwarded to my bosses. But any questions asked via social media are questions that I most likely don't have the right to answer as a blogger because, on Twitter and Instagram, I am not an intern, but a blogger once again. There is a difference between the social media accounts of an intern and a full-time publicist, you know?

 
This screenshot above absolutely warms my heart. I've had several people e-mail to tell me that they're excited to see what I am doing because they one day want to do it themselves and it makes them feel like this is possible for them. Honestly, that is the coolest freaking thing ever! I constantly get asked questions about internship hunting, for basic advice, etc. and I love giving it! I really want to help, you know? But I can't help by answering questions that I don't have the right to answer via social media. These questions include:
  • When books will be sent out
  • Book requests
  • Blog tour requests
  • Netgalley requests
  • If you will be sent a book
  • Mailing address changes (please e-mail those in or I may forget to change them!)
  • Any kinds of dates for things
  • Whether an author will be visiting your state (honestly, I have no idea! I don't have access to actual author tour information yet I get this question a lot!)
  • Anything else along those lines that is not involving the basic request e-mail
Again, if you e-mail me those questions at work, I may be able to answer them in a work environment because I'll have all information necessary in front of me instead of when I sit in my dorm on my laptop or am at school in class trying to avoid distractions.

Many of you have received some form of this message from me:

I'm really sorry, but I have this rule and it is that if you couldn't ask me a question before I was an intern, then please don't ask me it now.
I have this message because I felt like people have attempted to take advantage of me in the past, which is why I created that rule above. It's totally weird getting DMed personal questions about how to get things from people who I have never talked to before. It's even weirder when friends ask you for favors and you need to take a step back and breathe. The entire situation for me, at least, is weird. 

I have sent that message to so many people I have lost count. Dozens of people, most of which are still my friends today because I had to explain to them what I can and cannot do as an intern. And out of all of those people only a single person has gotten mad at me for that message to the point that I blocked her and moved on, so please don't be offended if you do get that message. You're getting it because despite me seeming approachable because I am one of you at the end of the day, the part of me that is an intern is not supposed to be approached about such things when I am not performing my intern duties. 

Any questions can simply be emailed to us and they can be answered because this is one of those cases where work environment is separate from personal environment. When I one day work full-time in the industry, my twitter is a place for questions and DMs, but until then my twitter is the home of a blogger that cannot talk about such things. 

Instead of being all stressed about books and what she's doing the next day in the office, @LiliReflects wants to freak out about ALL OF THE BOOKS! <3

What do you think of this new post series idea? Do you like it, do you not like it, why? Please comment below with anything you may want to know and if I am allowed to talk about it, it may be a future post here!

22 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new feature! The internship sounds really cool and I'll be looking forward to your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is absolutely amazing! <3 Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the banner credit! Definitely going stalk these posts despite the fact that I get these stories and valuable advice in person!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahaha <3 Very true. One of the few people who do, actually!

      Delete
  3. I love this feature! It's so good that you keep separate your internship and non-work hours. My school seriously stresses that, and I know how annoying it is when people ask me for help based on my work during my non-work time. Sounds like you have a good response for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, not everyone likes the response, but if it makes you mad then perhaps we should not be friends if you can't be understanding?

      One day my work life will cross into my personal life, but as an intern and student with 2 other jobs I don't have the time or mental capacity for that to happen right now. lol

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of this feature and I really enjoyed reading this post. Your internship sounds fantastic and I can't wait to see more of these posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is great feature, Lili, because as book bloggers we do get curious as to how things work on the publishers end, so thank you for sharing with all of us!

    I completely understand your feelings on keeping your twitter personal. Anyone else would hate to have to answer work related things on their personal twitter account/time. If people can't really see this or understand them, then they're just rude. I'm also really surprised you've had to send out that reply dozens of times to people you know, but that's just me.

    I look forward to reading more of these and to talking about ALL THE BOOKS OMG on twitter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problemo!

      And I didn't really expect it to be a problem and I very quickly realized that it is a problem, especially when people weren't understanding where I was coming from, so I felt I needed to differentiate myself as an intern from professionals.

      ALL OF THE BOOKS! YAAASSSSS!!!!!

      Delete
  6. This sounds so fun! I can't wait to see the inner working. I sadly feel im too old for an internship but still cool to see what goes down. And yes your are def our hero!
    😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually the youngest intern there. I intern with other people almost done with college, those in grad school, people working on PhD's or are out of grad school hunting for jobs. There's definitely a wide range of us!

      And ahh, you are too sweet, Britt!

      Delete
  7. Ahh! You are the Lili that I emailed? I only now realized you were a blogger as well. That's really awesome that you get to see both sides. I can only imagine how exciting it must be for you to be working in a field that is all about books! :) I can see how people might have taken advantage as your position as a friend and an intern at a publishing company, but I'm glad you were able to take your stance at tell them what you thought was right. Hopefully, you don't get too much of those anymore! I'm looking forward to reading more of these posts. It's always interesting to see how things go on on the other side. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the Lili you e-mailed! I actually don't think there are many Lili's spelled my way in the industry, so people are always like "hmmm your name sounds familiar!" and I'm all SURPRISE!!!!

      Yeah I don't think they thought they were taking advantage, which is why I took a stance. I think that they thought as a friend I could help them the way a publicist could, but I can't, and well, yeah. I had to put my foot down, eventually.

      I'm happy you're looking forward to these posts!

      Delete
  8. I think it's pretty great that you're doing a whole series about your experience! It'll be fascinating for those of us who wonder about the other end of things, and I'm sure it'll be informative for those seeking to do something similar one day. I like that you've drawn such a clear line between work and play! It seems like that would make it a lot easier for you, and I think it's totally fair to let people know that this is how you've chosen to handle things. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts, Alexa!

      I just realized that if I don't draw a clear line it'll be stressful for me and if I don't make it clear to others aside from just inside my own head, there's no point in it. But I also realized I'm learning a lot about what we do as bloggers from another perspective and dang, won't it be cool to share what I can?

      Delete
  9. I love this new post series idea! I feel like I am still floundering in this blogosphere, so it will be both interesting and helpful to see the other side of things. I can imagine in must be challenging being both a blogger AND an intern but I think you are handling it really well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE NOT FLOUNDERING IN THE BLOGOPSHERE! <3 You are rocking it!

      It is challenging to be a blogger and an intern, but I am truly loving it!

      Delete
  10. I am SO excited about this feature. Getting the inside scoop on whatever you are able to tell us (without killing us afterwards heh heh) about the book industry is going to be amazing.
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete