Review: Soulprint by Megan Miranda

Publication Date: February 3, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 368 (ARC)
Source: From Publisher For Review
From the author of FRACTURE, a riveting new thriller which draws on cutting-edge science.

Alina Chase has been contained on an island for the last 17 years—whether that’s for the crimes of her past life, or for her own protection, well, that depends on whom you ask. With soul-fingerprinting a reality, science can now screen for the soul, and everyone knows that Alina’s soul had once belonged to notorious criminal, June Calahan, though that information is supposed to be private. June had accomplished the impossible: hacking into the soul-database, ruining countless lives in the process.

Now, there are whispers that June has left something behind for her next life—something that would allow Alina to access the information in the soul-database again. A way to finish the crimes she started.

Aided by three people with their own secret motivations, Alina escapes, only to discover that she may have just traded one prison for another. And there are clues. Clues only Alina can see and decipher, clues that make it apparent that June is leading her to something. While everyone believes Alina is trying to continue in June’s footsteps, Alina believes June is trying to show her something more. Something bigger. Something that gets at the heart of who they all are—about the past and the present. Something about the nature of their souls.

Alina doesn’t know who to trust, or what June intends for her to know, and the closer she gets to the answers, the more she wonders who June was, who she is, whether she’s destined to repeat the past, whether there are truths best kept hidden—and what one life is really worth.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I have never read a novel by Megan Miranda before, but after reading this one I am definitely curious. SOULPRINT was an amazing sci-fi thriller that kept me on the edge of my seat. The characters and plot are so dynamic that I literally sped through this novel at the speed of light (meaning in a single day in mostly one sitting).

The plot of this book is absolutely insane. The government essentially created a soul database because they discovered (how, I'm not entirely sure) that souls leave a fingerprint behind on all past, present, and future lives--soulprints, if you will. Souls can leave money to their future selves and they even pass on whether they're left or right handed. However, such studies led to some really disturbing discoveries that state violent criminals from a past life are extremely likely to continue to be violent in the present life. It's this finding that, seventeen years ago, made June Calahan begin to release name of said violent criminals to help save the world. And it is that action that put Alina Chase, June's reincarnated soul, in a solitary jail on an island where her only comrades are guards that lie to her about their names while keeping 24/7 watch over her during their allotted month long assignment. However, when she escapes, she's determined to figure out why June did what she did since she is serving the sentence for actions that were never truly her own. Super riveting, right?

On the contrary, I have to say that certain aspects of the plot were predictable. Three huge revelations immediately come to mind. However, despite their predictability, the story continued. Such instances didn't take away from the plot progression or the emotions Miranda was instilling in me at the time, they only made me roll my eyes at the characters that were lacking in a bit of common sense at certain moments.

But, oh, the characters! This is such an amazing cast of characters. I wouldn't say this story is character driven because it isn't. The plot definitely holds its own, but having characters like these thrown into the mix only makes the book more awesome.

Alina is incredibly intelligent. She's stubborn and determined to live her own life. By punishing her for crimes she never committed, the world has instilled a bit of a rebellious streak in her that I absolutely adore. She handles obstacles as they are thrown at her without complaints and sticks to her guns. This girl is super respectable and easy to get behind as a female protagonist. Connecting to her so quickly definitely helped me out. The book itself got off to a slightly slow start, but the second she was broken out of isolation and her thoughts didn't seem as insane because the puzzle was slowly beginning to form, it picked up.

Then there are Cameron and Casey. These are two of the three people that helped her escape. As for the identity of the third, you'll have to read the book to find out! Cameron and Casey want to discover what happened to their sister, Ava, who disappeared about a year ago. Their only hope in finding answers was breaking Alina out and hoping she can find some clues that June left only for her. Throughout this novel the three of them become unlikely allies, friends, and there may even be some romance in the air.

The romance in this was great. While, in the end, this book didn't span a lot of time, the romance didn't seem rushed. It seemed natural, like these two simply fit together and it was fated. In times of great stress people tend to bond much faster than normal. There was no true declarations of love thrown around, there was a stage of "like" that then began to grow. To put it simply, this romance was done right and I squealed my heart out whenever there was kissing because I was rooting so hard for these two.

The ending of the book is both satisfying and dissatisfying. I understand why Miranda chose to end the book the way she did, but I wish that I was left with a few less questions and more closure on one or two topics. With that in mind, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy this one. The plot is awesome and the cast of characters was even more amazing. While it isn't perfect, I finished this novel with a smile on my face. What more could you ask for from a book?

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no compensation of any kind in exchange for this honest review.
Personal Disclaimer: My internship at Bloomsbury publishing has in no way affected my opinions expressed in my reviews. I received this book not as an intern, but as a blogger/reviewer, thus I will review it as I would any other novel. Waiting to post such reviews until the completion of my internship would not be good because most thoughts would be irrelevant by the time of completion of said internship.

3 comments:

  1. YES YES YES!! I agree that the characters were sooo awesome. I love how diverse they were and they each had a clear, distinct voice. I loved it!

    And you're right, the romance was totally natural. It wasn't super huge, it was just small and subtle and perfect. Siiiigh. <3

    And total +1 on the ending. It was good, but I felt myself wanting more, which isn't always ideal when a book isn't a series. I wanted more closure!

    Awesome review! I felt pretty much exactly the same way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! <3 The ending was great in the sense that I received some closure...I just wanted MORE of it.

      Delete
  2. I think you and I have such similar thoughts on this one. Really cool world, but a bit predictable (Donovan's "twist" in particular was annoying & obvious). Loved Cameron and Casey, and I also really enjoyed watching Alina find herself throughout the novel.

    ReplyDelete