Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt 40th Anniversary Blog Tour


What if you could live forever?

This is literally one of the most daunting questions ever. Immediately, my mind says no. I'm a really emotional and sentimental person. While I adapt to change in the physical sense, I do not like emotional change. I don't like losing those close to me...a sentiment I am sure is echoed among many other people. So I would only want to live forever if others would, undoubtedly, come along for the ride and want to experience it with me. I would need my immediate family, maybe some best friends, and definitely the pets. An infinite amount of pets! Yes! I do not welcome a future without cats. No way.

As a current college student, I genuinely feel how short the days are. It's kind of shocking to me, actually. I intern nine to five (or maybe have classes at this time) and then I commute back to my dorm. I'm all relaxed by six, and then I start cooking myself dinner. Then I do homework, maybe work a 3 hour 8-11 shift at one of my on campus jobs, and, boom, it's time to sleep. There's simply not enough time in the day to enjoy the little things I love, like walking through the streets of New York City people watching for hours. Or marathoning Disney movies with my best friends, or even binging an amazing book series.

There's not enough time in the day to travel. Getting to Europe and dealing with jetlag it's as if you waste an entire two days only to cut your already short vacation in half because flying is incredibly energy-draining and time-consuming.

There's not enough time in the day to do absolutely nothing and not have it negatively impact you the next day somehow. I just want to be a couch potato and not have repercussions from my potato-ing. Is that too much to ask?!

If my days were infinite I could pursue all of my desires and watch them change with the ages while my present becomes my past and my far past becomes part of history. But I would only want to do it with the people I love. I know that in the next few years--even in my entire lifetime--new people I love will come in and out of my life. This would happen undoubtedly if I live forever, but what's a girl to do without her Dad? Or her first true best friend? Or her little sister that annoys her to no end but they're stuck together forever? Or even her Mom because, hello, she's your Mom? And the cats because awwwwwwwwwww.

For now, I guess I'll just have to stop sleeping. That's all I can manage in order to live life to the fullest. ;)

~*~*~*~

This post was part of the 40 Days in 40 Years tour honoring this amazing novel...the first book I finished in a single day (against my teacher's wishes) all those years ago.

Blessed with—or doomed to—eternal life after drinking from a magic spring, the Tuck family wanders about trying to live as inconspicuously and comfortably as they can. When ten-year-old Winnie Foster stumbles on their secret, the Tucks take her home and explain why living forever at one age is less of a blessing than it might seem. Complications arise when Winnie is followed by a stranger who wants to market the spring water for a fortune.

A brand-new introduction from Gregory Maguire, the author of Wicked, and additional bonus materials make this special edition of Natalie Babbitt's Tuck Everlasting a must-have for lovers of the book and a great way to introduce a new generation to a classic.

Thank you for allowing me to be part of such an awesome tour!

1 comment:

  1. I second this - I would totally not want to live forever without loved ones surrounding me. My relationships give my life extra meaning, and I want to honor that.

    ReplyDelete