Review: Play by Kylie Scott

Series: Stage Dive #2
Publication Date: April 1, 2014
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Reading Level: New Adult, 18+
Pages: 304 (Paperback)
Source: Gifted from Mary (Thank you!)
Kylie Scott returns with the highly anticipated follow-up to international bestseller LICK Mal Ericson, drummer for the world famous rock band Stage Dive, needs to clean up his image fast—at least for a little while. Having a good girl on his arm should do the job just fine. Mal doesn’t plan on this temporary fix becoming permanent, but he didn’t count on finding the one right girl. Anne Rollins never thought she’d ever meet the rock god who plastered her teenage bedroom walls—especially not under these circumstances. Anne has money problems. Big ones. But being paid to play the pretend girlfriend to a wild life-of-the-party drummer couldn’t end well. No matter how hot he is. Or could it?
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

A while ago, I read the first book in the Stage Diver series, Lick. This was one of the hardest books for me to review ever solely because it didn't make a lick of sense see what I did there? but I loved every minute of it. Mary was kind enough to gift me book two for Christmas, and I immediately dug in. I'm happy to report that I will have absolutely no issue whatsoever reviewing this one.

I was looking forward to this book because Mal is my absolute favorite among the four guys in Stage Dive. He is the life of the party, absolutely hilarious, and inappropriate in the best possible way. However, lately, he's not really himself. He's drinking himself into stupors, potentially following their lead singer to rehab, and he's also exhibiting characteristics of depression. No bueno, right? After a chance encounter at a party, Anne is an acquaintance of the wonderful Ev from book one, Mal concocts a plan to move in with her and present her as the perfect girlfriend his mother always wished he had since something is wrong with her. However, what quickly began as a fake relationship shows the potential to blossom into something much bigger than either of them imagined. All I'll say is that this is definitely different than the way most fake relationships are portrayed, and I am totally cool with that.

The romance in this one is hot, hot, hot! From the very beginning you can feel the sexual tension and it's just a waiting game full of hilarious (from Mal) and witty (from Anne) banter that can rival the best of them. Full of hilarious antics, this is definitely a fast, quick read. It's almost shocking to realize everything takes place over about two weeks. Granted, there's so much passion it's almost believable, but then the insta-love police come out waving batons and their none to happy. I have to admit, though, that this one did have a sense of realisticness to it. It all started with lust and kind of moved from there, granted at an incredibly fast pace, but it was believable.

Anne is definitely an interesting female lead, but any girl will pale in comparison to Mal. He is full of life and outrageous one-liners. While I did enjoy her, I almost wish Mal could have been matched toe-for-toe with the wild things that come out of his mouth. However, he really needed a girl that could reign him in and pick him up when he falls down, so I do understand his adoration for Anne.

All in all, another solid read, definitely on an entirely different level than book one. I will happily move on with this series because it is a quick, entertaining, sexy guilty pleasure, but that's about the only way I can describe it fairly.

Warning: Definitely not suitable for younger readers. Graphic sex scenes, drinking, cussing, and violence.

4 stars

~*~Links~*~

4 comments:

  1. Mal is TOTALLY my favorite. He's just...Mal! Everything he says makes me love him more, even when he's talking about inappropriate things like how he deserves...well, YOU KNOW, from the scene in the bath and just the entire scene at the end after he takes Killer for a walk. Just a head's up: there IS Mal/Anne goodness in Lead, but it's my least favorite of the three so far. I adore Lena, but it's hard to like Jimmy because of his extreme douchebaggery from Lick and also some of the things he does in Lead. He's just not very likable. :( BUT MAL. MAL is the important part! Just keep it in mind when you finally pick up Lead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I love how Lick and Play are the only two books tagged as "liked it more than I should have." I cracked up when I noticed that!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lili i liked your review! I have these books but haven't gotten to them yet, glad to hear you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lili i liked your review! I have these books but haven't gotten to them yet, glad to hear you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete