The Curse of Being a Mood Reader


I am, unfortunately, a major mood reader. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because it can often make me love a lot of books if I read them at the right time, but it can ruin a reading experience or even put me in a slump altogether just as easily.

Right now I'm in a three week long slump. I know, I know...for shame! I don't want to talk about it.


In all actuality, I really want to get out of this slump, but my mood just isn't letting me.

See, I am in a good mood overall right now because I'm actually owning the world right now. I moved out of my old dorm room where I was getting bullied and into a single studio-like dorm room that is absolutely rocking my world. I am slowly unpacking because, well, I have a social life and an internship and two on-campus jobs and classes and, unfortunately, pesky homework assignments that get in the way. Also a huge desire for sleep because I haven't gotten much in the past three months in all actuality due to me drowning in negative emotions. But, dang it, I am Queen of the Universe right now because I'm so proud of this step forward in life that I took and how it's already affecting me positively.

I will forever love this music video.
You know it's bad when you get a text from your Dad saying "it's nice to see you smiling again" because that really put things into perspective for me. I've only been in this room for 48 hours, but I already feel like Lili again.

However, I'm still feeling the remnants of that old dorm room and the negative feelings that took over from it because those negative feelings did temporarily alter my behavior and my outlook on certain things. In the time that I was in that room I did have a lot of free time. I could read, but instead I sat on my laptop doing absolutely nothing with my headphones in just so that I would not be addressed because a snide remark was almost guaranteed to follow. That uncertainty to just relax is still plaguing me.

I feel awkward chilling in my new dorm just watching TV because that's not something I'm used to anymore. And, well, reading isn't something I'm used to right now either. I carry a book with me everywhere and then I find myself putting it down in favor of...nothing. 

But I am just not in the mood to be emotionally eviscerated by beautifully written words that blow my mind. GUYS! THIS IS SOMETHING I LOVE! I LOVE BEING EMOTIONALLY EVISCERATED BY BEAUTIFUL WORDS WRITTEN BY THE BEST STORYTELLERS EVER. See Jellicoe Road if you need to understand what I am saying.


It doesn't help that I have a midterm on Monday. But that's just part of college. And by that I mean the part of college that should never ever exist and should be eliminated in the immediate future. Or the present. That works, too.

So, let's get down to business. I need to get out of this funk. I need my reading habits to finally catch up to the happiness that I am experiencing. I need a puppies and kittens and unicorns flying through the air riding rainbows and eating flowers book. Find me the fluffiness to end all fluffiness. All suggestions are welcome, necessary, and much appreciated. I need your go-to get-out-of-funk books because I've used mine so much they've been slightly exhausted at this point. You will be repaid with my infinite graciousness and my blog being active once again.

And, of course, the knowledge that you totally helped a fellow blogger out when she needs it most.

Trust me on this one, I am eagerly anticipating the below comments 'cause this sister needs some helping out.

17 comments:

  1. I'm reading the Promise of Amazing right now. I finished I'll meet you there last week not a fluffy read but it was amazing. Deep Blue was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lili! I'm so glad you seem to be in much better spirits. Your new room sounds amazing! I was never one for roommates. You have made me realize that i am definetly a mood reader also. I have a reading schedule up to well the middle of May nos with all the book charted out to keep it easy for my blog mates but it is ruining a few books for me. I think I will witch the book around but just keep the dates the same. Anyway enough about me. What always pulls me out of reading slump are 2 things. I either read a hands down fav I haven't picked up in while, usually something that inspired me to really goes into reading. I use A Song Of Ice & Fire (since I always find some new detail or nuance I missed the first 5 times I have read these books) or The Clockwork Princess since this was the book the catapulted my adoration for YA. You can even go Harry Potter! This is my other option. I go to the store or amazing and order the most wanted book on my wish list that is available. This only works sometimes by it doesn't work for me anyway. I know you'll come out if it soon. You just sound like you have a lot of other things on your mind like midterms. <3
    - Britt @ please feed the bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading schedules never work out for me. I fail so epically at keeping them. haha

      YES! THE WISHLIST THING IS SUCH A GREAT IDEA! THANK YOU!

      Thank you for stopping by, as always, Britt! <3 Your comments always make me smile!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear you've picked up the pieces and are doing better again. It certainly seems like you've had a rough time lately - that text from your dad is so sweet. Let's hope you can keep this up! As for reading slumps; I'm the exact same. I'm also a mood reader, so I'm not sure how to help you there. I usually turn to rereads in my case. Books I know I've loved and will love again. For instance, I'm soaring through Harry Potter right now, when I was plowing my way through Mistborn before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never thought of rereading, actually. I would assume it wouldn't help because there's a huge lack of surprise in regards to how certain twists play out, but it's definitely a great idea. Thank you for the suggestion!

      Delete
  4. So glad you're feeling better! It's always hard to take a step that might seem unexpected, but once it all settles in and you realize you feel better (and just have it better overall), it's totally worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truer words have not been spoken! Thank you, Alexa!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you're happier now! It seems like you've had awful luck with roommates :( That's great you have your own room and you're feeling better. I'm a mood reader, too, and I've found that a good new adult read or fast paced YA contemporary help to get me out of slumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly truly have :(

      new adult! Great idea!

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about the bullying. I was bullied by my roommate and her friends my freshman year, and had to move in the middle of the night. It's the worst feeling in the world, and it's sickening to think that people still do that, even after high school. I hope the new place brings you happy memories. :)

    I'm also a mood reader, and I've found that sometimes, I just need to read something unexpected if I'm in a slump. I didn't think it would work, but it has a few times, and it really helps me get back to reading.

    Erin @ The Hardcover Lover

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is (:

      I picked up BEASTKEEPER because it is fast and hello fairytale retellings! <3 I'm hoping it'll get me out of this slump.

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of Beastkeeper. I might have to check it out one of these days though. The title certainly is interesting enough to warrant a read. :)

      Delete
  7. ALL THE MOOD READERS PLEASE STAND UP PLEASE STAND ! (shh I am standing up, but you can't see that because a) this is the internet and b) someone is probably standing in front of me and as you know that is never great for someone my height)

    I am 6 books behind on my goodreads goal. I have been slumping on blog posts. I FEEL this. Also I love just marathoning TV shows and vegging on the couch or my bed.

    i'm so happy that everything is starting to come together for you. WE SHOULD HANG OUT TOGETHER AND WATCH TV AND WRITE BLOG POSTS AND EAT ALL THE THINGS.

    YOU WILL ACE THE MIDTERM. (I know things. I have super powers.)

    LOVE YOU,
    Your favorite Square.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psh am I currently speaking to THE REAL SLIM SHADY?!?!?!?

      I am 13 books behind on my Goodreads goal...AHHHHHH

      Vegging out hasn't been an option prior to this week because I have been so busy, but I just may have to do this!

      YES YES YES! WE SHALL DO THIS ONE DAY!

      Love my favorite square! <3

      Delete
  8. Good for you for taking the steps you need to take to start living well again! Keep making changes, keep feeling better. We're all here for you :)

    ReplyDelete