The Intern Diaries (7): A Revamp & Being Thankful


I hate starting a post series and not finishing it, but I had to stop this series due to how people were reacting to it. A lot of you were wonderful, but there were a few eggs out there with comments that really upset me and it made it hard for me to continue.

So, I have a new idea! This is just going to be a post series of things I want to talk about it instead of asking for what you want to hear. Hopefully such topics will still coincide. So, what I want to talk about today is simply being thankful.

~*~Today's Topic: Being Thankful~*~

I feel like this is a topic that is constantly overlooked. I send out thanks a lot, but I don't think many of you realize just how thankful I am.

Firstly, I am thankful for every one of you who reads these posts whether you comment or not, and for those who shared my remorse when I thought I had to end it. For those who do comment, you guys put huge smiles on my face for taking the time out of your day to communicate with me. I'm also really thankful for each and every one of you who cheered for me when I got my internship at Bloomsbury because I was so bewildered and still can't believe I've spent seven months of my life there with a couple more to go. And I also want to thank every one of you who I met through this process that shared in my excitement. You guys rock my socks off.


I owe a huge thank you to Bloomsbury as well. This publishing house is indescribable. Being able to work there brings a huge smile to my face. The children's publicity and marketing department there are like one big happy family, and they welcomed awkward me in with a huge smile and a hug and let me adjust in my dream position while slowly giving me new responsibilities. They solidified my love of this industry and made me feel like I belonged, like I have a future here, and that I have the hope to continue on in this industry based off of the person I am, my experiences, and even my pretty resume.

As I begin the process of hopefully finding a new home this summer, I am feeling very nostalgic. When I first started in September, I didn't even fathom I would come as far as I have, all the while with a huge smile on my face. I was expecting to enjoy this internship, but not love it as much as I do. And as I sit here almost 8 months later, it's ridiculous to me that 8 months have passed. I spent five months working here three days a week, as if it was a part-time job, and I'm there now 2 or 3 days a week depending on my schedule, and I can't believe that shortly I won't be walking through those glass doors (that I run into often) anymore. This internship has kind of become a huge part of my life, you know? I let that happen because I love it so much and I'm happy there, and one day this will be what I do for a living. I'm sure of it.


But at the same time, I am also excited about my future. I learned so much here, but there's so much more to learn. And I not only learned about a different side of publishing, I learned a lot about myself and even the people around me and what I do and do not look for in friends and how my school is so awesome to help me the way they do and even how to plan a bookish wedding (Thanks, Lizzy!).

I also owe a thank you to my family. If you told me at all growing up that I would actually one day work at a "book castle" I would have laughed in your face, maybe had some tears rolling down my cheeks. I wanted to be in this industry for as long as I can remember, so long that I didn't know what a publishing house was but assumed anything that produces awesome books was simply a book castle.

As a child of a lawyer and a hotel industry professional/photographer, I never really thought my parents would 100% go along with my chosen career path. It's not as financially rewarding as other fields could be, nor is it as "serious" as their chosen professions, but they accepted my desires and encouraged me to follow them to a school where I can get an Accelerated MS in Publishing. Even though I fell in love with NYC much faster than I did say, dorming, or college homework, I've fallen in love with it all and they've been with me every (sometimes hard) step of the way.

I don't think I'll ever forget the day that my Dad drove me to the train station to hop on a train in the middle of the summer so that I could interview for my current position. He got choked up telling me that whether I get this position or not, he was really proud of me for pursuing my dreams and for working so hard for someone my age, and that I have nothing to be ashamed of. I went back to Jersey that night knowing I had an internship in the Fall, and neither him or I could stop smiling. Moments like this combined with my Mom & Dad's unending support make it all worth it...

...even if they hate having to help me commute in when I am not at school.

So, this is my thank you. It's not the best one out there and it certainly could be more eloquent, but I wanted to thank my friends. There are so many of you, but Dana, Alexa, Bekka, and my amazing book club deserve huge props for putting up with crazy-excited basket-case me. Bloomsbury deserves my infinite gratitude and devotion, and my parents deserve the world and more, though I'll never quite find a way to put that into words.

So thank you. Truly. For taking this crazy journey with me and sticking with me every step of the way and for allowing this to become a possibility. I can't wait for what's to come, but I know it's going to be amazing.

14 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so thankful that you've decided to continue this post series, Lili! I may not always comment, but I love hearing what you have to say about your internship -- so if what feels best to you is to write about what *you* want to write about, then I say go for it! I got a few second-hand warm fuzzies reading about how you love your internship and know that you've definitely found your dream job. :)) It definitely gives me hope for my upcoming internship and maybe future bookish internships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! What is your upcoming internship?

      Delete
  2. This was such a sweet post, Lili! I honestly got a little teary eyed there at the end. I loved hearing about how much your parents have supported you. They sound wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a nice post. I'm glad that you have decided to continue this. I think it's always interesting to see what you have to say about working/interning at Bloomsbury, I like to hear about your experiences.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 <3 <3 I love you and you deserve every single ounce of happiness and opportunity this internship has given you! I can't wait to see what awesome things come next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, girl! <3 I love you too!

      Delete
  5. I am guilty for not commenting but read your series and it was nice to read it. It was helpful. I am happy you are continuing it and sadly a few bad apples ruin it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and sticking with me!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for putting some positivity out onto the world with this lovely heart felt post. I've said it before but I'll say it again Gah k you for what you do!!
    ❤️Britt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gah k me for what I do? lmao

      Whatever you meant, I am sure that I would smile, so thank you for commenting Britt!!! <3

      Delete
  7. Glad you decided to keep The Intern Diaries going, Lili! It's seriously just so wonderful and fascinating to hear more about what your experience has been like, especially as someone who loves books so dearly and wants to know more about the teams behind them. And I love that you decided to give thanks! Nothing like gratitude to send a little love out into the world <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gratitude is always necessary every now and then! <3

      Delete