To Finish Or Not To Finish...That Is The Question (One Year Later)


On March 22, 2014, I put together a post entitled "To Finish or Not To Finish...That is the Question." You can find that post here. Basically, it talks about how I am so terrible when it comes to actually finishing a series because I have commitment issues. I want to know what happens, but I am mentally unable to say goodbye. It's a real problem, but it's something that blogging helped me with somewhat. If you look at the list below, you can find 9 series that I had finished in all of my reading prior to my blog being 22 months old.

Previously Finished
1. The Girl of Fire and Thorns Trilogy by Rae Carson highly recommend!
2. Something Strange and Deadly Trilogyby Susan Dennard highly recommend!
3. Croak Trilogy by Gina Damico highly recommend!
4. Wings Series by Aprilynne Pike
5. Shatter Me Trilogy by Tahereh Mafi highly recommend!
6. Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu highly recommend!
7. The Infernal Devices Trilogy by Cassandra Clare
8. The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins recommend
9. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot highly recommend!
10. The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
11. Hex Hall Series by Rachel Hawkins

Eight out of those eleven options above were finished while I was a blogger over the course of nearly two years, and the only ones finished before I was a blogger were "The Hunger Games," "Twilight," and the "Wings" series. Sad, I know, but I'm seriously not exaggerating my bookish commitment issues. They are real, and they ruin my life.

But, this is a problem I've been actively working on, and I am using this post to track my progress. In the course of these past 12 months, I have managed to finish 14 series, 9 of which were trilogy's and 5 of which were duology's. Guys, that's a huge accomplishment for me! I read more full sets of books in a single year than I did over the course of several years. So, I want to take a moment to celebrate this achievement and tell you about them a little. Check out this kickass list...

It's worth noting that one trilogy and one duology has been expanded to more books, but for general purposes I am not noting that because they weren't originally that way upon completion.

Finished Trilogy's In The Last Year
1. The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
2. Anna and the French Kiss Trilogy by Stephanie Perkins
3. His Fair Assassin Trilogy by Robin LaFevers
4. The Sweet Trilogy by Wendy Higgins
5. Secrets of the Eternal Rose Trilogy by Fiona Paul
6. The Guards of the Shadowlands Trilogy by Sarah Fine
7. False Memory Trilogy by Dan Krokos
8. The Mara Dyer Trilogy by Michelle Hodkin
9. The Scarlet Trilogy by A.C. Gaughen

Finished Companion Novels/Duology Sets
1. Origin & Vitro by Jessica Khoury
2. Dangerous Girls & Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas
3. Seraphina & Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman
4. Of Metal and Wishes & Of Dreams and Rust by Sarah Fine
5. Mistletoe and Mr Right & Sleigh Bells and Second Chances by Lyla Payne

What Have These Books Taught Me About My Commitment Issues?

The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
Read 2012 through 2014
Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, Ruin and Rising

Thoughts
I loved this series. The folklore, the writing, the fantasy, and so much more just blew my mind, but the very last book disappointed me a lot, and it's part of the reason I don't like to say goodbye. What if we do not finish on a good note? It's kind of heartbreaking, no? I still struggle with the fact that I was not a fan of the ending of this trilogy. Worries like this make me an anxious reader.

Anna and The French Kiss companion trilogy by Stephanie Perkins.
Read 2012 through 2014
Anna and the French Kiss, Lola and the Boy Next Door, Isla and the Happily Ever After

Thoughts
Each of these books brought something different to the table, and book 3 was the most anticipated book of all of them. Was Isla's story worth it? Yes. Did it live up to the other two books in the series? No. In fact, I believe Isla was the most bland out of all 3, though I still enjoyed her, which is an accomplishment to be proud of as an author. I don't regret finishing this series.

His Fair Assassin Trilogy by Robin LaFevers
Read June 2014 - July 2014
Grave Mercy, Dark Triumph, and Mortal Heart

Thoughts
This series was so amazing to binge and I can't believe it took me so long to read it. Each book was so vastly different and brought a strong female heroine and an amazing leading guy to match. Each book got better and better and I love how this series closed off, but there's a lot more potential to remain in this world, so I remain hopeful and excited for LaFevers future works. This is one of those series that proves my bookish anxiety wrong. So amazing! <3

The Sweet Trilogy by Wendy Higgins
Read 2012 through 2014
Sweet Evil, Sweet Peril, Sweet Reckoning
Apparently this trilogy has now been expanded to 4 books
Thoughts
Book one was among my favorite books of 2012, and book two was also very enjoyable, but book three was rather disappointing. While it was generally satisfactory, the big war that everything led up to was beyond disappointing and it really ruined three books worth of anxiety building in my eyes. Definitely shows that my fear of being dissatisfied by a series, thus contributing to my desire to not finish certain ones, is real.

Secrets of the Eternal Rose by Fiona Paul
Read 2012 through 2014
Venom, Belladonna, Starling

Thoughts
I found this series to be really enjoyable and while I feel like book three was not as strong as book one, I did take satisfaction in it and was satisfied as a reader! In the end, what more can you ask for? Plus, it led me to an amazing author friend that I am very happy that I have.



Guards of the Shadowlands by Sarah Fine
Read 2012 through 2014
Sanctum, Fractured, Chaos

Thoughts
I loved this series. Book one will remain one of my favorite dark, gritty reads ever, and I have to say I was satisfied with the ending as well. (Definitely a good thing I overcome my series ending fears for this one!) I found an amazing author friend in Sarah Fine, and my first (and only) acknowledgement in a book in a series that I truly love. Highly recommend!


False Memory trilogy by Dan Krokos
Read 2012 through 2014
False Memory, False Sight, False Future

Thoughts
I gave all three books in this trilogy the same rating, which was four stars. I found it to be highly enjoyable. It was not perfect, but it more than satisfied me as a reader and I feel like it flies under the radar among YA sci-fi written by a male author that writes a kick-butt female main character. Worth giving a chance if you ask me!


Mara Dyer trilogy by Michelle Hodkin
Read 2012 through 2014
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, The Evolution of Mara Dyer, The Retribution of Mara Dyer

Thoughts
I LOVED this series! The final book was kind of sketchy at times and didn't answer all my questions, but I was still generally satisfied and books one and two completely rocked my socks off. I would recommend this if you're in the mood to have your head messed with, no doubt.


Scarlet trilogy by A.C. Gaughen
Read 2012 through 2014
Scarlet, Lady Thief, Lion Heart

Thoughts
One of my favorite series on this entire list that makes me beyond thankful I overcame my series worries. I have yet to post my review of book 2 because of feels, and book 3 is not out yet, but it is such an amazing series ender, I can't even word. Just ah! READ THIS ROBIN HOOD RETELLING NOW! SO WORTH IT! THANK YOU, ME, FOR FINDING THE GUTS TO READ THIS SERIES IN ITS ENTIRETY! I AM SO HAPPY IT DID NOT REMAIN A STAND ALONE!

Corpus duology by Jessica Khoury
Read 2012 through 2014
Origin, Vitro
Apparently this duology has now been expanded to 3 books

Thoughts
I have no defining thoughts about this series, in all honesty. I found it satisfactory and enjoyable and unique, but it does not stand out to me. It's a solid 3-3.5 star duology in my eyes, but I have to check out the surprise third book, Kalahari, to make my final decision. I suppose you'll see it on next year's version of this post!

Dangerous Girls & Dangerous Boys companions by Abigail Haas
August 2014

Thoughts
Dangerous Girls blew me away completely, so much so that I have chosen not to post a review because all I can do is scream about how much I loved its creepiness, but Dangerous Boys disappointed me greatly. I found it to be overall enjoyable, but its predecessor was on an entirely different level in my eyes. Leaving things off with Abigail Haas in a stage not equivalent to total obsession with her works is a bummer, and does contribute to reasons why I worry about finishing a series or not.

Seraphina duology by Rachel Hartman
Read 2013 through 2014
Seraphina, Shadow Scale

Thoughts
Book one absolutely blew me away and I liked book two as well, but the very ending broke me a bit. It didn't exactly feel right to me and after waiting so long things got really rushed in my eyes. I'm beyond happy that there is more in this world from Hartman in future books not directly related to her debut duology, but endings like book two are part of the reason I hate saying goodbye if it's not 100% perfect.

Of Metal and Wishes duology by Sarah Fine
Read August 2014 through April 2015
Of Metal and Wishes, Of Dreams and Rust

Thoughts
THIS is the kind of duology I love. It's dark and complicated and the world-building is superb. The second book was quick and to the point, a little cliche at the end, but after fighting through a war and so much heartache and loss I welcome cliche with open arms. Books like this make me happy that I am willing to say goodbye, even if I don't want to.


Mistletoe and Mr. Right: Two Stories of Holiday Romance by Lyla Payne
Read March 2015
Mistletoe and Mr. Right, Sleigh Bells and Second Chances

Thoughts
These are two holiday novellas wrapped up in one book, initially meant to be published as 2 separate eBooks, but then Bloomsbury decided to print them together in a single bound book and I am so happy they did! Novella two focuses on the roommate of the leading lady in book one and they are both so very different yet so very likable. As far as the guys go, I am partial to the one from book one, but both of these novellas were very satisfying and have the potential to be expanded into full stories that I would be willing to read!

~*~*~*~

Have you read any of these series or duology's? If so, what did you think of them and their endings? Were they satisfying, did it hurt to say goodbye, or were you disappointed? As always, every comment is appreciated!<3



8 comments:

  1. I am the absolute WORST at series. Okay, maybe not *quite* at this level, but I'm getting there. I can only think of a handful of series I've actually completed, and this post inspired me to really take a look at them.

    I'm so happy you went ahead and read His Fair Assassin because that trilogy is LIFE. It's so often the case that later books in trilogies (especially second books) are just not as good as the first one, but this series turns that idea around completely. I struggle so much trying to pick my favorite, so please don't ask me to.

    The Scarlet series has to be one of my favorite series of all-time. I just love how each book built upon the one before it, and I think it ended perfectly (if maybe a liiiiiiiiiittle bit rushed.) I'm kicking myself because apparently I only gave book one a 3-star rating - like HOW? Must reread.

    The only other series on here that I also "completed" is the Anna series. I say "completed" because I actually DNFed Lola, but I read the other two books. Interestingly, Isla was my favorite of the three, which seems to directly counter basically everyone else who has read the series. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I mean...I was pretty terrible at finishing series. Still am, but I am actively improving and getting much better, so perhaps you are below my level ;)

      I LOVE THIS TRILOGY SO MUCH! <3 I won't make you pick a favorite, but I've discovered recently that a lot of third books are more disappointing to me than anything else.

      YOU GAVE BOOK ONE 3 STARS?!?!?! OUR FRIENDSHIP MAY BE IN JEOPARDY RIGHT NOW!!!

      Lola is the slowest of the three, but she's more interesting to me than Isla and Cricket was a great love interest, but Lola is definitely very taste-specific.

      Delete
  2. Ohh great post! I've read very few of these =( but many are on my TBR. Hopefully I can get to them soon. I think it's honestly excellent that you ARE committed and able to get through of many of these incredible books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to them soon, too! Overall I did enjoy each one up there for different reasons!

      Delete
  3. I actually made a series spreadsheet earlier this year, just so I had an idea of the series I (a) read, (b) am reading or (c) want to read. It's a little intimidating to look at it in general, but I like seeing everything in one place. I do have to say that I'm generally pretty good with series, because I like binging whenever I have the chance! It's a pain sometimes to wait till the last book is out, or to wait between books, but I do love a good series ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently starting binging and it makes things easier, but it also makes waits agonizing and at times, frustrating, if the world just isn't where I want to be at that moment.

      But ah! I like your series spreadsheet idea! I may have to check that out!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I have a similar issue. My problem, though, is that if I finish the series, there isn't any more, so I postpone the inevitable as long as possible. So I did a quick count.
    I have 3 of the series but haven't started reading and an additional series I only have the first book for.
    There are 4 series I started, but haven't finished.
    There was only one series I finished, Wings. I loved it! But it still took a while to pick up the final book.

    I keep wanting to work on the series, but newer, shinier books keep coming in and distracting me.

    Keep up the good work!
    Tammy @ Bo's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have the same issue as you in regards to why we don't finish and also because new things are always distracting ;) If I can work past it, so can you!

      Delete