Top Ten Favorite Quotes from my Favorite Book

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

So, my favorite book ever is THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak. I have a quote from this book hanging on my bedroom wall and actually live my life by it. Sure, all the quotes from this book may not all be inspiring, but they're all beautiful and mean something to me. So I am changing today's TTT topic up a little and picking ten quotes from THE BOOK THIEF that I absolutely love.

HERE IS A SMALL FACT - YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.

Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

SOME IMPORTANT INFORMATION - THIS NOVEL IS NARRATED BY DEATH

It's a small story, about:

a girl

an accordionist

some fanatical Germans

a Jewish fist fighter

and quite a lot of thievery.

ANOTHER THING YOU SHOULD KNOW - DEATH WILL VISIT THE BOOK THIEF THREE TIMES.
 ~*~Top 11 Quotes from My Favorite Book~*~
My ultimate favorite quote ever:
"I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." 
"A DEFINITION NOT FOUND
IN THE DICTIONARY
Not leaving: an act of trust and love,
often deciphered by children” 
"The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you."
“Somewhere, far down, there was an itch in his heart, but he made it a point not to scratch it. He was afraid of what might come leaking out.”
“Usually we walk around constantly believing ourselves. "I'm okay" we say. "I'm alright". But sometimes the truth arrives on you and you can't get it off. That's when you realize that sometimes it isn't even an answer--it's a question. Even now, I wonder how much of my life is convinced.” 
“The words were on their way, and when they arrived, she would hold them in her hands like the clouds, and she would wring them out like the rain.” 
“She wanted none of those days to end, and it was always with disappointment that she watched the darkness stride forward. ” 
“I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race - that rarely do I even simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant...I am haunted by humans.” 
“The words. Why did they have to exist? Without them, there wouldn't be any of this.” 
One of my favorite openers ever delivered by the one and only Death:
Here is a small fact: You are going to die. I am in all truthfulness attempting to be cheerful about this whole topic, though most people find themselves hindered in believing me, no matter my protestations. Please trust me. I most definitely can be cheerful. I can be amiable. Agreeable. Affable. And that's only the A's. Just don't ask me to be nice. Nice has nothing to do with me. 
“I..." He struggled to answer. "When everything was quiet, I went up to the corridor and the curtain in the livingroom was open just a crack... I could see outside. I watched, only for a few seconds." He had not seen the outside world for twenty-two months.
There was no anger or reproach.
It was Papa who spoke.
"How did it look?"
Max lifted his head, with great sorrow and great astonishment. "There were stars," he said. "They burned my eyes.” 
That last snippet of a scene is just so beautiful to me. This entire book is, really. It means so much to me that words can't even describe it. Above are ten of my favorite quotes, but there are hundreds of them in this book alone, and I hope that if you haven't read it already, these quotes inspire you to do so. What do you think of them?

18 comments:

  1. I love the quote about the heart. That one really sticks with me. The Book Thief is full of fantastic reading. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such an amazing book <3 The writing is so unique and pretty!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this yet, but I've been meaning to. These quotes makes me think I should do it asap. Thanks for sharing. :)
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should read it ASAP! It is so worth the read!

      Delete
  3. Markus Zusak is a great writer so...I quoted from The Book Thief as well. Happy reading!

    https://ireadboooks.wordpress.com/2015/04/14/top-ten-inspiring-quotes-about-books/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a quote-worthy book! Happy reading to you as well!

      Delete
  4. This book is next on my to read pile, I am far, far too late to the party on this one. But I cannot wait to read it, and your quotes have made me even more excited to get into it. Thank you so much for sharing them.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you are choosing to read it! I feel like those who choose not to read it are truly missing out. I am so excited that you're excited to read it!

      Delete
  5. I really like the first quote that you have! and you even exceeded 11!

    Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I couldn't pick just ten, and the first quote is my ultimate favorite!

      Delete
  6. This book is absolutely brilliant. I really like how you pulled all your quotes from your favorite book. That was very clever. Also bravo for narrowing it down to 10 from that amazing story. I loved what you choose!
    ❤️Britt @ Please Feed The Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually narrowed it down to 11 because I love the story too much. lol

      Delete
  7. Re-reading this just gave me shivers. I love The Book Thief more than words can say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so nervous to read this one, everyone loves it so much and I hope I would feel the same! I did get a copy for Christmas so I do plan to get to it soon-ish! The quotes are great :)

    Ashley @The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete