1. I feel like narrators can greatly hinder your reading experience if they are not picked right. If a narrator is bad or simply average, it can greatly ruin your liking of the audiobook. I could love a book in its written form, but not be a fan of its audiobook because the narrator was not picked right.
2. I don't really have a place to listen to them. Audiobooks are generally associated with listening in the car, but the thing is I don't drive. I kind of hate driving, so if I am driving I have the music on low and I focus on the road with no distractions whatsoever. But I don't drive at all now. I spend all of my time in New York City where we have subways to get you around, and due to the location of my school, I'm never really on a subway long enough for me to actually get into a story between the ten to thirty minutes of travel I have.
3. I tend to zone out a lot. I like music because when I zone out and get lost in my thoughts, I have a background soundtrack but it is not integral that I am listening to it. I feel like if I had an audiobook in, I'll miss half the story and will just have to rewind again!
4. I can't find audiobooks for phones. I know, this is kind of stupid. I've taken to listening to certain podcasts, but because of my roughly hour-long commute in and out of the city during the summer months when I have obligations outside of my home, I tend to blast through podcasts fast and most podcasts, unless told like a story as in the case of Serial, just don't interest me. If I found audiobooks for phones then perhaps I'd be more gung-ho about them and could find one or two to span me a summer of commuting? Is there, like, a library where you can virtually take out audiobooks for phones or something?
5. There's just something about reading words that can never be replaced in my eyes. I don't know what it is, but I love to read words myself in my own voices instead of hearing someone else's interpretations. Audiobooks would really only help me with pronunciations and, perhaps, nailing an accent.
But, I am willing to give audiobooks a chance! So, which ones would you recommend for someone who has never listened to one before and is looking to be impressed so she would perhaps listen to more? Do you like audiobooks, or are you hesitant like I am? Comment below with your thoughts!