The Intern Diaries: A goodbye to Bloomsbury

This is a post series for me to share my thoughts about interning, but also to share what I have learned in office with all of you!

~*~*~*~

Friday was a really emotional day for me. It was the last time I got to have the convenience of seeing some of my best friends any hour of the day, the last time I would walk up Fulton Street and stare at the gorgeous Freedom Tower in the middle of the night while I fell in love more and more with my city, the last time I return to my own dorm room where I could adult that way I wanted to since I'll never have that luxury again, and the last time I stepped in and out of the Bloomsbury USA offices as an intern. I kind of lost it at the end of Friday night, really, because I didn't want to leave even one of those things behind, let alone all four at once. Emotional overload.


But I want to talk about Bloomsbury with this post.

Bloomsbury started off in September because, over the summer, I got extremely lucky. I could not pass this opportunity up. But, shortly after starting and figuring out how to fix all of the technology I managed to break in the first week, I fell in love. So in love that I jumped at the chance to continue through the full academic year.

Prior to this internship I never imagined myself as a publicist. I didn't think I could do it. I had this misconception that it was very business oriented, and that I simply was not good enough for it. I come out of this internship enthusiastic about my future, and with a few more steps taken in the right direction. I know a lot more about publicity and even marketing, and I've discovered that I'm actually really good at it. Though I tend to adopt a no nonsense attitude when it comes to distributions, watching how my bosses would work out what goes where, how this works, how that works, where to send this author, who should do this or that, etc. was really fascinating to me. It would be rare for me not to point to a box of books or a pile of papers and ask, "what's that for?" 

As a blogger, I suppose I can say that I also went into this internship with a misconception about publicity, too. All I knew about it was what bloggers know, but there's so much more to it. In reality, bloggers are just a small aspect of a publicist's focus, and, at times, it's very hard to be accommodating because there is so much work that goes on constantly within a publicity department. It's cool, really, because publicity is linked to marketing and even editorial in certain ways, so this internship kind of let me sit back and observe the entire publishing house as a whole while gaining direct knowledge in publicity, marketing, and even a little bit of school & library marketing, too.And my boss's being super busy was awesome for me because once I had proven myself that meant lots of blogger interaction for me on their behalf. Which lead to a lot of excitement between my friends and I, and even the fostering of new friendships that probably would not have been made if not for this internship. A win-win for everyone, don't you think?

And, I suppose that's why it was so hard for me to leave. I was gifted with an opportunity to have fun and learn while I did it. I had an amazing boss. Well...4 or 5 bosses really, all amazing for different reasons, but my main superior was beyond kind and I'm thankful to now be able to call her a friend. I had a great position where I learned a lot and enjoyed doing it. I had fun. I kind of embodied a new identity as "the Bloomsbury intern" because I was able to do so much while there, and for a while it became a part of who I was. It was my job, really, and it was my pride and my joy and the regiment to my schedule. And it was just me...an intern who freaked out whenever an author stepped in an office or new ARCs came in, or even when I got to find out a secret before the rest of the world. And the entire time I was still shocked that I managed to land such a position, especially as someone who turned twenty on the job. 

Now I'm realizing how lucky I am. My age is a huge hindrance when internship hunting still because, in the grand scheme of things, I'm still young no matter how badly I want to parade around screaming my delight at no longer being a teenager. But I'm a young professional with perhaps the most kickass internship under her belt a girl could ever dream of. And, damn, I have to say I'm proud of my accomplishments, which is why it was so hard to say goodbye.

But, as always, I think the future is looking bright. There's still another two years of my life to explore the world, examine new aspects of my industry, and just be a bookish nerd with all of you. And I plan on taking advantage of every opportunity thrown my way. I love interning, and I love this industry, and as long as I am within it, I will be happy.

13 comments:

  1. Congrats on having such an amazing internship experience! You are going to do great things!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a really amazing time and I bet you did a FANTASTIC job! Good luck figuring out that whole life thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha life...why must it be so difficult? xD Thank you for stopping by Ashley!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. Wishing you luck on finding another one just as spectacular :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. the nostalgia in this post omg.

    I hope you had an AMAZING things and I'm totally cheering you on for the things to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOSTALGIA EVERYWHERE!

      Thank you, Nova!

      Delete
  5. So glad you had an amazing internship with the Bloomsbury team, Lili! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are fortunate indeed to have had such an experience. Publishing is a tough field, I think. It's competitive and doesn't pay a lot when starting out. At least that is what I have always been told. It's sad that your internship did finally come to an end, but you can think of it as a spring board to your future. The experience wasn't wasted, so congrats on a job well done!

    Tammy @ Bo's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tammy! Everything you've been told about the industry is correct, but to be in it you gotta love books. And that in itself is amazing to be surrounded by a ton of other book lovers!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on accomplishing so much at Bloomsbury. I know I would get so excited when I would see an email from you pop up in my mail box, and just know that I will miss you. I think you did a great job with interacting with bloggers, and if you do become a publicist, those publishers and authors will be lucky to have you on their team. :)

    Have a great summer, Lili! Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete