The Intern Diaries: I've fallen in love with the feeling of productivity


The Intern Diaries is a post series for me to share my thoughts as an eternal publishing industry intern on everything from what actually goes on at the internships to general musings about an internship.

~*~*~

So, last semester, I put up this post talking about how my blog was going to endure a lot of changes due to my crazy new schedule. Little did I know, this semester would be even crazier...Allow me to let you peek in at my life for the past 14 weeks and what my life will continue to be like for the next week as I endure finals.


8 hour days of non-stop go-go-go? Shift coverages galore? The fact that I had to work 8-2 six Saturdays this semester for events, but they're not on this schedule because it wasn't EVERY Saturday? Yeah, all that and more. It even shocks me that I managed to maintain a social life throughout all of this, trust me. At one point I even had an 11pm-2am shift on Monday nights, but I swapped that out for the Saturday afternoon shift because I just couldn't do it anymore.

It's crazy, don't you think? The fact that the above picture is the regimented aspect of my every week, not including shift coverages, homework, hanging out with friends, interviews, doctors appointments, meetings, etc.

I wholeheartedly agree, but I've realized recently that I love the feeling of productivity. I hate not being productive. And, sure, I love those days where I chill in my room and do nothing but read or watch Netflix, but since I've been living alone I feel even more of a desire to go out into the world and appreciate it whether I'm alone among the millions of New Yorkers or purposely exploring with a friend. I just have to be doing something. And sometimes it's nothing because that's okay, but most of the time it's always something.

I also like the regiment schedule that an internship and two on-campus jobs provides. It gives me something to work around, to make plans, to do homework when DAing so I can make plans in my other free time, etc. It allows me to plan and, in all honesty, I'm a compulsive planner. I have to plan everything. I am the worst person to text spur of the moment because odds are I made plans to have dinner that night last week. It's just who I am because it's important to me to see people and lock things down so that I can actually see them.

It's because of my love of productivity that I hate the summer. I hate the fact that for extended periods of time I may not have anything to do. I also hate the fact that summer means humidity which means ew, sweating.  I am preparing to return to a hometown that I worked very hard to escape because I didn't like it or the people that were in it. I am going back to a town that requires me to drive in order to actually get places, but I hate driving and will forever miss the NYC subway system and the convenience it brings. I am going back to a town where I am reliant on my parents and they insist on treating me like their child, which is proper, but is frustrating after experiencing what it means to be fully independent while at school for two years now. And I am going back to a town where I can't work because it is so small the only job that will take you for a summer is if you want to be a delivery boy...notice how it does not say delivery girl. I am taking the steps to creating a productive summer, pursuing opportunities I really want to be a part of, but nothing is set in stone yet.

So, at this very moment, I am facing a summer of non-productiveness, and while it makes me really excited for all the reading I can get done, it's also scaring the daylights out of me after becoming accustomed to and learning to love a life where I am constantly working towards my goals, my future, towards monetary means, and even towards school spirit.

I think this is a great value that interning and working in general has instilled in me, and it'll make me pursue internships in my future with abandon. In truth, I don't want this character trait to ever leave me. I like the way that I've adjusted to college and school and work and interning, but because I'm taking more than half of those things out of the equation for this upcoming summer, I'm a little lost.

I was trying to describe this feeling to one of my friends recently and they laughed. They can't wait for the summer to laze around at their uncle's vacation home the entire time. That sounds wonderfully appealing to me, but I can't imagine spending three months of my life doing that. Three weeks maybe? Three days for sure! But three months?

So, I'm wondering, does anyone else have trouble turning off that productivity switch, so to speak, or would you say you simply don't have one at all? I know people like me and people who aren't, and I'm realizing a lot of it depends on where you are in life, what you're looking forward to, and what you've experienced in the past. I'm wondering if I'm the only crazy willing workaholic out there? I gotta find my clones here!

As always every comment is appreciated! <3 I am looking to foster a discussion with this one!

5 comments:

  1. I love this post because of how much I relate to it. I've been crazy busy with track/school/social life and have been complaining, but I know if I didn't have those, then I would be complaining about wanting to do things. Good luck in your pursuits of finding things to do during summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said! Sometimes it feels like I'm doing too much, but I wouldn't know what to do if I wasn't doing all of this. I just like to be doing things, whatever those things are. And, in the end, having reasons to be out and about and not lazing around the room is important to me.

      Delete
  2. Wow that's so nuts! I totally applaud you!

    I really hate busy schedules. I mean, I guess my schedule isn't very typical to begin with since I'm self employed. But whenever I have a busy day, it makes me feel really unproductive after I finish my work. I feel like I've done so much work already and I don't want to do anything else, so that's when I tend to veg out in front of the TV for the whole read of the day/evening.

    But when my day is pretty much free and I can do whatever I want, that's when I get a ton of stuff done. Like the weekends. I'm a productive BEAST on the weekends. I've been working on re-coding the Ultimate Book Blogger Plugin and since my weekends are totally free, I just work 100% and it's amazing. I get so much done!

    But take yesterday, for instance. We ended up going to a friend's house and having a BBQ/movie from 12:30 - 6:30. By the time I got home, I felt like I'd already been out so much today and I didn't feel like doing anything, so I just watched TV the whole rest of the day and didn't actually get anything done.

    I guess work and activities tend to wear me out and make me not want to be productive after that. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I like being productive too, but within parameters. Basically, from Monday-Friday, I like having a jam-packed schedule - going to work, prepping blog posts, seeing friends & attending events - it's all really fun! But on the weekends, I prefer to just relax, laze about a bit with a good book, a TV show or film and the people I love.

    I guess I'm a lot like Ashley. Being productive wears me out, so I need to have a consistent break from it too! But I admire your drive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love productivity too! My friends usually get playfully annoyed when I work too much. Still, that "adrenalin" when you're busy with a lot of things and that feeling at the end of the day when you've done it all is the best! It's currently summer in my country and slacking off was really hard to adjust to after an exhausting school year. I find difficult when you have nothing to do, nothing planned for the day, like there's something wrong.

    Going back to your home town will be definitely be a challenge. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete