Top Ten (*cough* Fifteen *cough*) Retellings & Reimaginings

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.

I am a retelling and reminaging nerd with a preference for fairytale retellings, but because of that I wanted to also highlight some of my other favorite reimaginings and retellings that are not necessarily fairytale related, but perhaps mythology retellings or reimaginings of famous stories. Because of this, this is more like a Top Fifteen Tuesday! haha

Fairytale Retellings

~*~Beauty and the Beast~*~

1. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge is ridiculously amazing. It is dark, it is thrilling, it is enticing. Simply put, it is perfet. Plus it has a gorgeous cover.

2. I am also a huge fan of Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay. It is such a complicated and unique retelling! Ah! <3

~*~Robin Hood~*~

I know Robin Hood isn't a fairytale, but for this purpose I am counting it as one.

3. Scarlet, Lady Thief, and Lion Heart by A.C. Gaughen - Romance! Thieving! A kickass female heroine that seriously kicks butt! Conniving villains! Death, doom, destruction! Kissing in trees! ROBIN FREAKIN' HOOD, Y'ALL! Need I say more?

~*~The 12 Dancing Princesses~*~

 4. Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George is such a nice, fun read. The love interest is amazing (he knits!), and the story is beautiful. I really have to continue on with the Princess of Westfalin trilogy...

~*~Sleeping Beauty~*~


5. Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay is so good! Gender-bending, a cocky Prince that falls for the heroine because of her brains and not her heritage, friendship that blossoms to romance, and another girl that kicks serious butt! Plus, it's the story of Sleeping Beauty's daughter, which makes it all the more interesting. My favorite Stacey Jay book!


~*~Cinderella~*~

6. Cinder by Marissa Meyer is book one in The Lunar Chronicles and this series is just so good! A cyborg Cinderella set in a futuristic China. Need I say more?

7. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas started off as a Cinderella re-telling and morphed into something so different, but with the smallest of traces of this story still in it. I don't know if this title necessarily belongs on this list, but because of that connection I'm leaving it up because what is a TTT post without my favorite series?!


~*~Little Red Riding Hood~*~

8. Scarlet by Marissa Meyer is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles and while we have our overarching Cinderella theme still going strong, we've got a runaway little red riding hood. But the best part? We meet our one of a kind Wolf.

*Another Little Red Riding Hood retelling is Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce. This one is not a favorite of mine, but it is certainly unique and enjoyable so why not throw it up here to draw some attention to it?

~*~Rapunzel~*~

9. Cress by Marissa Meyer is the third book in The Lunar Chronicles and oh my gosh, love love love! Cress, oh Cress, let down your long hair! You are so lovable! And so is that swoony Thorne ;) Can you tell I need book four in my life pronto?! Also, this is one of my favorite covers ever.

Mythology

~*~Asian Mythology~*~

10. Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman has dragons and a gender-bending main character and rich Asian folklore. What more can you ask for?! One of my favorite duologies ever!


~*~Greco-Roman Mythology~*~

11. The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan is pure gold. Everyone has to read this. It's like a rite of passage for book bloggers. Just agh! Love!

12. Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout takes Greco-Roman mythology and makes it all the more enticing with super swoony male leads and a strong heroine that does what she wants when she wants.

13. Antigoddess by Kendare Blake is a super dark and interesting take on Greco-Roman mythology that honestly freaked me out but in the best possible way. So, this is the best option on this list if you like a little bit of horror in your life.

Reimaginings

~*~Phantom of the Opera~*~

14. Of Metal and Wishes by Sarah Fine is a Phantom of the Opera reimagining that takes place in a slaughterhouse in an Asian-inspired land. You're welcome. Bonus: the sequel comes out today!


~*~Titanic~*~

15. Often described as "Titantic in space," These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner is exactly that, but with one of the best love interests of all time.


I love retellings, so please link me to your TTT posts below and share your favorite retellings in the comments! Have you read any of these? Did you love any of them even half as much as I did?

5 comments:

  1. OOoh great picks!! See lots I've read and love and still ones I need to read and a few that I am currently debating over! LOL! Love that you connected them to their fairy tale too! Great picks!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read them all, Jessica! You will love them all!!!!

      Delete
  2. I would totally count Robin Hood as a fairtale for this list! Also given the fact that Sarah J Maas has said in countless interviews that Throne of Glass was inspired by Cinderella, I also this that it belongs on this list.

    I LOVE how you broke your list down into categories, so awesome and organized!

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe thank you <3 I love retellings and reimaginings, so I had to organize it somehow so I could include both!

      Delete
  3. So many of these made my list, too! Plus I love that you included Titanic haha. You're adorable.
    Lunar Chronicles, Scarlet, Of Beast and Beauty, Princess of Thorns... love!
    Great list, babe!

    ReplyDelete