Review: Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

Series: Throne of Glass #4
Publication Date: September 1, 2015
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 656 (Hardcover)
Source: Library
Everyone Celaena Sardothien loves has been taken from her. But she's at last returned to the empire—for vengeance, to rescue her once-glorious kingdom, and to confront the shadows of her past . . .

She will fight for her cousin, a warrior prepared to die just to see her again. She will fight for her friend, a young man trapped in an unspeakable prison. And she will fight for her people, enslaved to a brutal king and awaiting their lost queen's triumphant return.

Celaena’s epic journey has captured the hearts and imaginations of millions across the globe. This fourth volume will hold readers rapt as Celaena’s story builds to a passionate, agonizing crescendo that might just shatter her world.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

For the sake of avoiding spoilers, this is going to be a very short, perhaps not at all concise, review.

THIS. BOOK. IS. EVERYTHING. I. WANTED. IT. TO. BE. AND. MORE.

Literally Sarah J. Maas's best book yet. Probably because some serious vengeance finally happened that had me screaming in happiness. But whatever.

Coming off of Heir of Fire, I was very nervous to read this book. That book ended with a lot of excitement, but not just that, it was also very...different. It started off ridiculously slow, but ended up blowing my mind in the end. So I was curious if Queen of Shadows would be more of a gut-wrenching wow-factor found in Crown of Midnight or if it would be the start off slow and eventually catch my attention and blow my mind half way in vibe that I got from Heir of Fire. Queen of Shadows is neither because it BLEW MY MIND FROM PAGE ONE AND JUST KEPT GETTING BETTER AND BETTER. This just makes me so excited about how Maas has grown as a writer.

The ship plays a large part of this novel because it is going to make many readers really happy and many readers not so happy. After reading the novel and taking the time to analyze everything properly, I am in support of absolutely everything that happens in this novel. Aelin is no longer Celeana, you know? She's undergone a ridiculous character transformation and the person best suited for Celeana is not best suited for Aelin because, in all honesty, they are not the same person. Watching this character transformation has been a blessing.

But obviously the best part of this book was the antics. Aelin is back to her ridiculously smart ways, ten steps ahead of the readers. I love it! This book is a series of "wow" factors really. It solves so many plot lines that have started in the previous books one after another, but also has begun weaving new webs for the series to be taken in an entirely different direction with the next book. I. AM. SO. EXCITED. While the last page has me screaming YAAASSSS, the last fifth of the book had me on the edge of my seat breathing hard, freaking the heck out because it was all so amazing and intense.

The fact that this book was told in several perspectives makes me beyond excited, too, because it shows just how much every character has grown alongside Aelin. For instance, Dorian's chapters blew my mind because I could feel his struggle. Manon's chapters really tied things together and made me love her and Abraxos even more--something I never thought was possible. Really, every chapter enhanced a character's development some way or another, but I found myself loving Aedion's plot in this novel just because yes. This kid...is just awesome and full of yes and I support every scene he was a part of because yes.

Read this book, love this series, praise Queen Maas, and freak out as you realize how many days away book five still is with me.
 
5 stars

~*~Links~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment