#NYCC15 Recap


I was very fortunate to attend New York Comic Con as a member of the press for the second time this year! I attended on Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday because of the fact that I was interning on Friday. I was bummed out about missing Friday because I didn't get to see the Once Upon A Time panel or pick the The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman, but I had a great time nonetheless. This recap was so much fun to write and is full of amazing pictures, so I hope you enjoy it!

Thursday: The Day I Finally Met Stephenie Meyer


Thursday was a relatively calm day for me. I spent some of it with DJ whom I have known for a while but never hung out to this extent before, but most of it was spent wandering and learning the floor since very few bloggers were there. I could not have asked for a better NYCC buddy than him!

The main focus of the day for me was meeting Stephenie Meyer. DJ and I met up first thing in the morning near the bookstore to grab our bracelets that guaranteed us a spot on her signing line at 3pm. I also bought two copies of the tenth anniversary edition for Twilight, one for myself and one for my friend Dana of Dana Square. I was lucky to get them both personalized!
She. Is. Writing. My. Name. OMG

I am going to do a post later about how meaningful this experience was to me, but long story short, I cannot believe I met someone who made me feel like I wasn't alone in my tiny town back in middle school. Her books may not be the best, but they'll always hold a small place in my heart. Plus, Stephenie Meyer says my name reminds her of something out of a storybook, so I am totally expecting to be a background character in her next work! haha

Granted, I didn't meet Stephenie Meyer until 3, so I mainly picked up some books prior to meeting her. My favorite thing to do was the HarperCollin's plink-n-win to win a random YA book. It was very cool looking and different from their usual spin-n-win, and I had a lot of fun with the strategic part of it! We were given these really cool Epic Reads disks and the rest of it was all luck. 
Plink-n-win! Everybody's a winner!
Gender bending Cruella de Vil!
The other bonus of Thursday was that I found my second favorite cosplay of Comic Con. I am not a big cosplayer myself because I have neither the time, resources, or talent to pull it off, so I always love getting pictures of everyone else cosplaying and rocking it to their hearts content. I found a gender-bent Cruella de Vil and it took me a solid hour to ask him permission to take his picture, but I am so thankful I did because this guy worked it! He is perfect in every damn way. Take a look and enjoy for yourself!

At the end of the day, my haul was pretty great, but two books shined above the rest! Bookish highlights include:
  • a signed & personalized tenth anniversary Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
  • Starflight by Melissa Landers
Check out my amazing day one haul below!

A photo posted by Lili (@lilifeinberg) on

Saturday: The Day I Met the Shadowhunters and Had the Most Epic of Reads


I lined up with DJ on Saturday and we spent the entire day together after receiving some free Pocky as members of the press. Decked out in my "I pause for commas" shirt, I knew that I would have an awesome day and even received many fun compliments. We entered near the Jurassic World entrance, which was pretty cool! They brought out the dinosaur and we got to enjoy it while waiting to be let onto the floor. Look how cool this thing was! I just wanted to touch it, but realistically, it would probably bite my hand off. ;)

What a way to start the day, huh?

Once we got onto the floor, DJ and I did some wandering and exploring while catching up. Eventually, we grabbed lunch and headed out to the Epic Reads book club meet-up. THIS WAS SO MUCH FUN and was definitely one of my highlights of this year's Comic Con. Epic Reads set it up so it was a speed dating style where everyone who attended got a book by the 5 exhibiting authors and about 6-7 minutes to talk to that author as they went around all of the tables. Unfortunately, my table was understocked, but the amazing ladies at Epic Reads ran upstairs to grab extra books from their booths so we could have the opportunity to have all titles from the authors signed instead of getting them mailed to us.

Epic Reads provided us with fun note-cards to ask questions and generate discussion, but I think it's safe to say that the tables were predominantly full of fangirling squeals.

The five authors that were bouncing around tables were:
After all of this bookish awesomeness, our afternoon was dedicated to The Shadowhunters. DJ and I
She is so perfect! omg
met some very excited fans and even a father in line getting his daughter presents. It was a very charged atmosphere, and in the middle of it I spotted the goddess that is Sarah Rees Brennan. I am not at all ashamed to admit I attacked her in the middle of the floor asking for a picture. She shared some stories about her upcoming works and swore me to secrecy on certain topics, but I can say I witnessed a kickass one person play about Agatha Christie that I hope everyone gets to witness at some point in their lifetime.
signed poster! wheeeeeee
Also, while waiting in line, we all saw Sarah Hyland poking around because she is datign Doinic Sherwood, the actor who plays Jace.

But anyway, we waited in this long line to have the opportunity to speak to the entire main cast of the upcoming Shadowhunters TV show and Cassandra Clare. ABC Family is featuring the show, but it'll be named Freeform by the time the show airs in 2016. I have met Cassandra Clare before so the excitement for her was not as palpable in me as other attendees, but meeting the cast was so much fun, and I am definitely getting my signed poster framed at the first chance I get. Below are some of my favorite pictures I took with them!

Jace and I
Magnus and I -- he is going to be such a kickass Magnus! Photo bomb by Isabelle!
Simon and I! He was loving every minute of this event!
Alec and I! He. is. so. cute. omg. I can't even.
Saturday was definitely my favorite day of Comic Con. Not included in the below picture is my sister's birthday present and the signed poster from the cast, but everything else I picked up throughout the day is.
A photo posted by Lili (@lilifeinberg) on
Highlights of Saturday include:
  • Reign of Shadows by Sophie Jordan- I have wanted this book since she told me about it at RWA and I screamed when I got it in plink-n-win. They thought I won the jackpot, but I was just so excited to get this book!
  • The Girl From Everywhere by Heidi Helig- Time traveling pirates!!!! Need I say more?!?! I am expecting this debut to rock my socks off and since it comes out on my birthday, I know it'll be perfect.
  • My Lady Jane by Jodi Meadows, Cynthia Hand, and Brodi Ashton- I will eventually be gifting this to a dear friend who LOVES Jodi, but I can't wait to read it first because HOLY COW THAT SYNOPSIS! Jodi also showed us the cover a few days before it was released, which was super fun!
  • Wink Poppy Midnight by April Genevieve Tucholke- I missed this drop on Friday, but PenguinTeen had one hidden signed one lying around in the back when I asked about it. I cannot believe they gave the last copy to me!
  • V.E. Schwab exclusive trading cards: I did complete my set on Sunday so I have all four and wow...they are so so so pretty! I love ADSOM, so to have some new limited edition swag for AGOS is beyond exciting to me.
  • Meeting Sarah Rees Brennan- She is so kind to deal with my craziness, and her stories are so great. I cannot wait for TELL THE WIND AND FIRE!

Sunday: The Day I Saw All My Friends and Met My Favorite TV Character

By the time Sunday rolled around, I was dead on my feet. I spent the day talking to several bloggers I had met previously and hanging out with them, only taking breaks to see a few other friends wandering the floor. Shout out to Nori from Read Write Love, Brittany from Brittany's Book Rambles, and Danielle for spending the day with me! You made it so much fun and it was nice to find people who just want to sit and relax every now and then, too. ;)

Before heading to New York Comic Con alongside Nori (we took the same train in! haha), I stopped by Hannah of The Irish Banana's hotel. I love her, so it was nice to catch up with her briefly, and she gave me a few novels that she had duplicates of that she knew I really wanted. This girl, she is so amazing. Thank you for being my constant texting buddy at Comic Con, Hannah! 

Today was a day spent hanging out and grabbing a few last minute books. One highlight of the day was being able to see my friend, Amir, who I have known since I was six but only see every few
years. I met his girlfriend and his younger sister and just had a great time bear hugging the hell out of him. I also even got to see a friend from school, Sam, while she wandered the floor waiting for her roommate to get off working a booth. Prior to that, I spent lunchtime with my friend Ash who started working at Bloomsbury just before I left. She is an author with an amazing sounding upcoming novel that I hope the world will get to see one day. While we waiting in line for some deliciously mac n cheese at the mac n cheese food truck, I ran into my number one cosplay of New York Comic Con 2015: Ron freakin' Swanson. I am not one for pictures, but I needed to be in this picture with him. Bask in the beauty, because I about died when I saw him.

I still can't get over the fact that this happened!

Anyway, after seeing everyone and grabbing a few books, I decided it was time to call it a night. I had an essay due Monday night that I hadn't started yet and I wanted to watch the football game, so home I went.

Check out my final day's haul:
A photo posted by Lili (@lilifeinberg) on
 Highlights of the final day include:
This comic con was so much fun! My one complaint was that the panels were not appealing to me this year as they were last year, but I did experience Comic Con to the fullest with what little time I had to allot to it this year. I cannot wait to check it out next year! Thank you to all my Comic Con buddies! You made this year such a blast. <3 

12 comments:

  1. so jealous! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you'll get to a comic con one day!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a blast girl!!Hope I can go next year! OMG the coplay is prob the best thing to see. I would just sit and people watch all day (kidding I would stalk all the books then try to find Jon snow)
    <3 Britt @ please feed the bookworm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year this one cosplayer followed me around and scared the absolute heck out of me though. Haha some of them are so intricate and I am like *forever bows down to the mad skills that I do not have*

      Delete
  3. Wow you really covered everything. I had such a great time hanging out with you and I hope we can do it again soon! Btw I love that Cruella costume..that guy is totally working it. I wish I saw him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was my second favorite only behind Ron freakin' Swanson <3

      I will definitely be seeing you at an event, I am sure!

      Delete
  4. The Ron Swanson still cracks me up! Haha! So perfect! :D Loving the gender-bent Cruella too! I'm glad you had such a good time at Comic Con! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still dying. I convinced my Mom he was real for a moment ;)

      Cruella was pretty dang awesome too

      Delete
  5. My Lady Jane!!! Eeeeeeep. So jealous!
    "She is writing my name" omg girl you crack me up! Love these pictures! Looks like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SO EXCITE. YAASSSSS.

      Haha I was like I CANNOT BELIEVE STEPHENIE IS SITTING HERE!

      I wish you were there </3

      Delete
  6. It looks like you had such an amazing time at NYCC! (Though I already figured you were going to.) I MUST try and attend next year, because it looks like it was so. much. fun. I love the gender bent Cruella (fab outfit and pose!) and obviously, dying over the Shadowhunters and MY LADY JANE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have such a great time and DJ and I would be so willing to add a third to your New York Comic Con buddy group ;)

      Cruella blew my mind! I wish you could see the full suit that he is blocking with the coat because it ROCKS

      You shall be seeing MLJ soon enough <3

      Delete