Black Friday 2015: Barnes and Noble Edition


I have never experienced Black Friday before. Waking up early and battling crowds just isn't my thing, nor is it something that any of my family members are down for either. If we can buy things on sale online we are good.

But I decided to venture out of the house today for Barnes and Noble's signed book sale. From what I understand, they've done this before and I just had no idea that it existed. I am fortunate that I live about five minutes from a B&N, so I rolled out of bed, threw on some sweats, and headed out to get there at its 7am opening. I had a mission: get three books and then go back to bed.

  1. Winter by Marissa Meyer- I've waited to buy this book knowing it would be here.
  2. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini- This book changed my life and I wanted a signed copy so badly.
  3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky-This book changed one of my best friend's lives and snce he doesn't read a lot, I thought he would love to have a signed copy.
I got there around 6:55AM and there was already a small line at every entrance, but I wasn't worried. I just needed to get in, get out, and go back to bed. But once I got inside, I woke up way too much to be able to go back to sleep.

To begin, there's this huge display of nothing but signed books. And even though these books have been out for a while, they're all hardcover! The hardcover book snob in me was so happy.


Once I got over the beauty, I grabbed my three books and prepared to leave. But it's this moment where I decided to take a step back and look around, and all hell was breaking loose around me. Guys, I have never done an all out Black Friday, but if I dealt with this little craziness in B&N, I can't imagine what it would be in regular stores and malls.

There were 3 little 10-year-old girls crying to my left.
Turns out their father told me there was a signed book event at B&N and instead of reading the article, he just assumed it was the entire store. So they came here for signed Harry Potter books and were very distraught when they weren't there. But let's be realistic, if JK Rowling took part of this event, I would have camped out 10 days in advance.

A mother was breathing heavily while stroking 3 copies of OUTLANDER.
This young teenager walked by apologizing about her mother to people, so I looked up and found this 40+ year old woman breathing heavy while stroking several copies of the book in her hand. She went to grab one more and her daughter tried blocking her because there were only two left and she screeched (I kid you not!), "I NEED THESE FOR MY FRIENDS! THEY MUST MEET JAMIE!"

Two kids were arguing over which YouTuber was best.
There was an entire group dedicated to famous YouTubers, and this boy and girl were actually arguing over which was better: THIS BOOK LOVES YOU by PewDiePie or Tyler Oakley's BINGE. The girl actually smacked the boy in the arm with a book before getting dragged away.

There was a revolt beginning in the cafe.
So there was this sign that advertised free small hot chocolates for everyone who gets there before 10am, not purchase necessary. From what I heard, it seems some parents took their kids to redeem the hot chocolate and the cafe insisted it was only for coffee. So this angry parent grabbed the sign from the front (I did notice this sign in line, for the record it said hot chocolate not coffee) and stormed up to the register demanding chocolate for his daughter because she is not old enough for coffee.

At that point I high-tailed it to the check-out, cringed at the book costs because unfortunately Amazon has spoiled my wallet rotten, and ran out to the car telling my Dad I never want to do this again. If this was a small ten minute snippet of Black Friday at a bookstore, I don't even want to know what regular stores are like.


So this is the point where I ask you a few questions...
Did you go to the B&N sale? What did you get? Have you ever Black Friday'd in general? Was it crazy? I want to know stories now that I experienced a small piece of it for myself!

20 comments:

  1. Lol, I'm staying at home today. We're going to put up our Christmas decorations and bake. Black Friday terrifies me. The mall and stores in general during the holiday season are bad enough, but I will never step foot near one on Black Friday if I can help it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, but I just didn't think B&N would be that bad? Like 7am at a bookstore? I guess I just misguided myself into thinking nonsensically haha

      Just didn't consider it a traditional Black Friday destination.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't either! There were probably a bunch of people like that dad who didn't read the full article and figured it would be more books than it actually was. Or maybe people are finally getting the hint that books make excellent gifts?

      Delete
    3. Books do make the world go around, after all!

      Delete
  2. Unbelievable. I think that Black Friday is really good for some sales, but the crowds always frighten me.

    Grace @ Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how exciting! I would have DIED for a signed copy of The Perks of Being a Wallflower. All-time favorite book. I had no idea Barns n Noble did this either. I've done Black Friday before and I've never seen it that bad, but apparently there was a fight at a mall near me. Fun times. haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows, maybe a B&N near you still has one?

      I think the biggest thing that's happened recently at the mall near me was Fetty Wap throwing $2,000 over the balcony. I was like dang I don't like him, but I would have killed to be there for some of that $$$ lol

      Delete
  4. That was a really good crop of stories you got! I'm dying over the Outlander one, haha. I've never really had a crazy BF experience in the negative. I've done Target at 4am (back when it was still an actual BF and not this Thursday at 6pm nonsense). But nothing has ever gotten bad while I've been out. I have shied away, though, from doing the B&N signed books simply because there is no discount on them. Yes, being signed they are worth the full value, but BF to me is all about scoring a massive discount on something, so I pass. Congrats on getting your lovely books that you wanted!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this Thursday nonsense needs to stop. It's taking away from the whole Black FRIDAY thing and I mean, it's causing Thanksgiving to lose its whole hang with the family and love one another meeting.

      It sucks not having a discount, but I rarely go to B&N because of Amazon, so I was willing to deal with it for the signed pretties ;)

      Delete
  5. Well it sounds like your short Black Friday experience was quite eventful! I went to my local B&N and it was busy, but nothing out of control. I wasn't really in a rush to get there early, as they had signed copies last year and they STILL have some from the event sitting on shelves in my store. I knew they weren't going to sell out. I grabbed my copy of Outlander and wandered around before venturing back out to the madness that was Old Navy and Target! :)

    Emily @ Books & Cleverness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting! My store was running out so fast, but I have a huge free-standing store near me. Perhaps it is all about location for the signed books?

      Haha yeah I would not be caught dead at Old Navy or Target!

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh! That sounds crazy! I hardly ever do Black Friday, but I do work at a BN. I can tell you it wasn't like that at the store I work at. I think the only signed copy we ran out of quickly was the YouTubers and Paper Towns. No trouble in the cafe either. Thank goodness. I do agree though that BN wouldn't be as crazy as Walmart, Target, or Best Buy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Macky & I actually went to visit the Barnes and Noble near us around lunchtime on Friday. All the toy shelves were pretty sparse, but there was definitely still a decent amount of signed books left! It was less crowded, which was nice. Oddly enough, I wound up buying NOTHING. Which is weird. But hey, I'm glad you had a successful visit, even with all the craziness that went on around you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a non-American, I can only imagine the Black Friday craze! :O Your observations were pretty entertaining to read though. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah us Americans have some incredibly weird traditions, that's for sure

      Delete
  9. Wow, I have never been to a bookstore on Black Friday - I didn't think it would be so dramatic, I guess I was wrong... :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to Barnes and Noble on Black Friday, but I knew nothing about the signed book event. We just went to use our 30% off. That's interesting that there were signed books at your store. It must have ended at a certain time because we didn't go until 11 am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Black Friday is the best time to get discount. You can also get discount is Siteground Black Friday sale is live now. Enjoy,.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice post... i like it!!
    really black Friday is best for getting best discount and shopping so don't wait choose your best deals black Friday top deals

    ReplyDelete