Adult Coloring Book Review: I Love My Hair by Andrea Pippins

Publisher: Schwartz and Wade
Publication Date: November 10, 2015
Pages: 84 (Adult Coloring Book)
For fans of Johanna Basford’s Secret Garden and Enchanted Forest comes a hip, gorgeous doodle coloring book about all things hair. Unlike other adult coloring books, which depict nature scenes and cityscapes, this title celebrates strong, confident women with a passion for style, design, and fashion.

Revel in the mesmerizing patterns and intricate details of Andrea Pippins’s delicate pen-and-ink illustrations, ready for you to color, complete, and embellish. Lose yourself in page after page of bold hairstyles and accessories, from rows of braids, to Mohawks, to sweeping updos, to cascades of ribbons and beads. Be transported to another world as you ink in Medusa’s slithering coiffure, Cleopatra’s elaborate headdress, and Marie Antoinette’s towering bouffant.

Perfect for experienced color-inners and newcomers alike. Coloring enthusiasts of all ages will love this empowering and stylish book. So go ahead—let your hair down, grab some pens or pencils, and add some color to your life.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I am not the most seasoned colorer. Prior to interning at Viking this past semester and helping to publicize Johanna Basford's latest, this has been the only coloring book I have used. So I sat down with my mother and together we reviewed this book because she is quite the seasoned colorer.

This book is so much fun! Pippins started it for a thesis and never let it go. It has caught the eyes of Buzzfeed, Oprah, and so many more because it is a coloring book of nontraditional hair styles. It is so much fun!

One thing we learned from this experience is that my mother is a very soft colorer that feels it is okay for there to be white on the page. I humbly disagree. I want my pages to be bursting with explosions of color. Isn't that the point of a coloring book?

This is my favorite page that I have done so far out of a two page thread. SO PRETTY! Below are my Mom's.

I can also say that the page quality of this coloring book is very good. I don't have to worry about anything bleeding through or poking through if I press too hard because they've got some serious substance to them. 

When I asked my mother if she found any downsides to this book because I sure didn't, she stated that it is the words. Certain pages are full of words. They are fun and keep the theme of having to do with hair, but she says she'd rather have more pictures to color instead of a page of words. If she wanted a page of words, she would have bought a coloring book of fonts. I can see where she is coming from with this!

All in all, this coloring book is incredibly fun, and I am very happy to have indulged in my first ever adult coloring book experience with it. Thank you, Random House, for sending this my way!

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no compensation of any kind in exchange for my honest review.

8 comments:

  1. They look really good, Lili! The patterns are also beautiful. All these adult coloring stuff lately is making me want to horde on coloring books. I love coloring and drawing and I used to do it a lot when I was younger. I haven't done it in a really long time though! :)

    Haraiah @ Random Things In Action

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't colored for years prior to coloring the page you see above! It was like a welcome and therapeutic release that I had no idea I needed.

      Delete
  2. The pages in that first picture are so pretty! I've been wanting an adult coloring book for a while, and this one looks awesome. I currently have the Secret Garden coloring book at the top of my "to buy list", but I think I might get this one, too. The drawings are so beautiful! (I love the butterflies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom has Secret Garden too and it is so fun! Her one complaint about that one is that some details are so small it is hard to color them. But hey, those drawings are dang gorgeous!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty Lili and I am like you I want my page to pop with color and I try to get rid of the white if I can. I am not seasoned either as its been a long time since I colored but its alot of fun to color

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to try adult coloring books for a while now and this one especially seemed like it would be so much fun. And I'm with you, it should be bursting with colors! You and your mom did a great job at that.
    I'm also with your mom about the words. I would much prefer more coloring sections as well.
    Thanks for sharing, Lili!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Nick! <3

      Delete