Waiting on Wednesday #64

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine.

My pick of the week is...
Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes

Publication Date: May 17, 2016
Publisher: HarperTeen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Maguire is bad luck.

No matter how many charms she buys off the internet or good luck rituals she performs each morning, horrible things happen when Maguire is around. Like that time the rollercoaster jumped off its tracks. Or the time the house next door caught on fire. Or that time her brother, father, and uncle were all killed in a car crash—and Maguire walked away with barely a scratch.

It’s safest for Maguire to hide out in her room, where she can cause less damage and avoid meeting new people who she could hurt. But then she meets Jordy, an aspiring tennis star. Jordy is confident, talented, and lucky, and he’s convinced he can help Maguire break her unlucky streak. Maguire knows that the best thing she can do for Jordy is to stay away. But it turns out staying away is harder than she thought.

From author Paula Stokes comes a funny and poignant novel about accepting the past, embracing the future, and learning to make your own luck.

Why I Am Waiting

I am fortunate enough to call someone as awesome as Paula a friend. I remember when this book was still in its drafting stages and was being referred to as BAD LUCK CHARM. To see how far it has come is so exciting for me, especially because I can relate to Maguire's bad luck though I am thankful to say mine is not that bad. I think this book promises an amazing story that'll leave me laughing but walking away with a lot on my mind. What more do you want out of a solid contemporary? Plus, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't head over heels in love with that cover.

Are you equally as excited for this book as me? Is there another book you are even more excited about? Please share your thoughts with me below!

7 comments:

  1. Nice pick! Not my kind of read but hope that you absolutely love it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love, love, love the cover. Mostly because I love tennis, and it has tennis in it, but it's really cute too. I love Paula's books, so I really can't wait for this one! Great pick Lili!

    Anatea | Anatea's Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I personally suck at tennis. I hit the ball too hard and it tends to go OUT of the tennis court. My little experience with it in high school gym class was enough for me haha but I am curious how it'll be to experience it via book because I love Miranda Kenneally's books which always feature girls doing awesome sports that I love. Thinking I'll love this one partially for that reason as well!

      Delete
  3. This book sounds like a fun book! Also, that's such a great cover! Great pick!

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it's going to be amazing!

      Delete
  4. YES, I am so for this book. I'm a huge fan of Paula's and I recently received an ARC of GATU for review, and it's amazing. Probably one of my favorite of her books to date. The cover is so pretty too. I love the orangish red. But I do wish it had stayed as Bad Luck Charm; I really loved the former title. Anyway, I hope you love it!

    - Eli @ The Silver Words
    #Commenting365

    ReplyDelete