To Finish Or Not To Finish...That is the Question (Two Years Later)


Over two years ago on March 22nd, 2014 the very post "To Finish or Not To Finish...That is the Question!" post went up. You can read it here if you like. I think it's pretty funny, actually. This post is pretty much admitting my weakness for finishing series. I suck at them. I am so good at quitting series it becomes a big deal when I actually managed to finish one. So I made a vow to go out of my way to finish more series following that post!

...And then the second installment of "To Finish or Not To Finish" went up in early April of 2015 a year later to commemorate the fact that I was able to make good on my promise to finish more series in that year. You can read that post here if you like!

On a recently rainy night in London, a red flag went up in the back of my mind reminding me that it's been two years since I have made the vow to overcome my sucky series reading. Plus, this post series is kind of a yearly tradition at this point. I like looking back on my progress to see how much better I have gotten at this, especially with the help of Summer of Series!

Unfortunately, I was not as successful this year as I was last year. Last year I managed to finish 14 series. It is worth noting that I read 100 books in 2014. This year I managed to finish a few series and bring myself up to date on many others, but I also only read 55 books in 2015, so that has something to do with it. Alas, let's check it out!

Finished Trilogies/Series in the Last Year
1. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
2. The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta
3. Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
4. The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot

Finished Companion Novel/Duology Sets in the Last Year
1. To All The Boys I Loved Before & P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han
2. Frigid & Scorched by Jennifer L. Armentrout 

As you can see, I am also working on appreciating backlist series more instead of just series that finish this year, so that is something I hope to continue this summer!

What have these books taught me about my commitment issues? 

Series: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Read November 2012 through November 2015

Thoughts
This is the longest-running series I have ever managed to stick with from its immediate publication to its immediate end. It's not backlist or anything like that, and it shows me that I can be eager enough to complete a series without falling off the bandwagon--it is just has to be an amazingly well written series to make me want to do it. I do not regret falling off the bangwagon for certain series of my past anymore.






Series: The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta
Read June 2015 through June 2015
Finnikin of the Rock, Froi of the Exiles, Quintana of Charyn

Thoughts
Part of the reason I hate reading full series is because I am scared of hype. Since I haven't had the best luck with reading series prior to becoming a blogger, hype for a completed series is intimidating since I automatically worry I will not like it. This series proved to me that sometimes hype is deserved, and I really shouldn't let length or hype hold me back anymore. There's well over 1,000 pages between all three of these books and I binged them in maybe 2.5 days I was so into the story!





  Series: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
  Read July 2015 through July 2015
  Under the Never Sky, Through the Ever Night, Into the Still Blue

  Thoughts
This series taught me to never judge a book by its opening scene. Back in the day, I picked up the first book in this trilogy in a bookstore, read the first chapter, and put it back on the shelf. I didn't look back until some dear blogger friends told me it was among their ultimate faves in early 2015. I read past the really bad opening chapter and immediately fell in love. I have to be more ready and willing to open myself up to unique writing styles.






Series: The Mediator by Meg Cabot
Read February 2014 through January 2016

Thoughts
I binged this entire series in February of 2014...all six books! And then a few months later they announced a 7th book written for adults and I was so ready for it! I am not primarily an adult reader, but this novel taught me that I really enjoy growing with my characters, and sometimes having a bit of closure that I have always secretly craved is enticing instead of leaving it to be open. Series can always be continued in the future!





Series: To All The Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han
Read May 2014 through May 2015
To All The Boys I Loved Before, PS I Still Love You

Thoughts
This duology proved to me why I dislike series so much--fear of committing just to be disappointed. I loved the first book in this series and when I got an advanced copy of book two I jumped at it. But let me tell you, there's so many things that I have to say about book two and very few of them are positive. I disliked the main character's voice, I hated her end decision, I was not a fan of how the people around her began to act. I just did not like this book and it left a bad taste in my mouth for the series as a whole since it's the final one. This is what I've been working to grow from when reading series...



Series: Frigid by Jennifer L. Armentrout
June 2013 through June 2015

Thoughts
This duology taught me that I need to read more romance! I read both of these books at the time to get me out of reading slumps and though I had to suspend belief about certain things, a good romance can get any reader through a slump. I resolve to read more romance series in the future to get me out of slumps and also because they are quick reads that can satisfying my desire to just sit and read and get away from the world for a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Even though you didn't read that as many books, at least you did keep up with your goal of finishing and catching up with series! That's my goal for this year, too. I think I'd like to make a list of series I want to catch up on and in a year, like you, I'll have to look back and see how far I've come.

    Anyway, TLC is one of the newest series I read as well! I usually read series that have the majority of the books out or all, but with TLC, I started at Cinder and finished with Winter. I actually got Under the Never Sky for Christmas (I haven't started it yet) so I'll keep in mind that I should give it a few chapters! Sorry you didn't like P.S. I Love You. I'll admit that even though I enjoyed it (4/5 stars), I would've preferred it as a standalone as well.

    Jess @ Princessica of Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I mean, it's a bit disappointing just because I did so good last year. I mean, I finished 14 series or caught up with 14 series! Most were just natural finishes though because many series ended last year. Only a few were binges. This year I had some solid binges in there, which was nice for a change. I am hoping to do some more binging this summer if I find the time!

      That's what I did with TLC too! Major commitment! Hooray for the both of us!

      UTNS is a great Christmas present! You should definitely tell me when you pick it up! <3

      Delete