Review: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell

Publication Date: February 25, 2016
Publisher: Macmillan Kids UK
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 62 (Paperback)
Source: Borrowed from Friend
'Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.'
'Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?'
'Maybe.'

If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does. What she's not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectible Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels. Kindred Spirits is an engaging short story by Rainbow Rowell, author of the bestselling Eleanor & Park, Fangirl and Carry On, and is part of a handful of selected short reads specially produced for World Book Day.

~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

In honor of World Book Day, Rainbow Rowell wrote a short story available cheaply in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Since I was conveniently located in the UK at the time of its release, I knew I had to grab myself a copy eventually.

This quick little read solidified the fact that Rainbow Rowell knows how to write a kickass group of nerds that I are easily adored. Charming nerds are always a great read in my book. Combine the charming nerds with a cute plot of fandom that any reader can appreciate, and this is a half hour read that I have no regrets about. I will admit that I was a bit worried going into it because I have yet to see any Star Wars movies myself, though I plan on changing that this summer, but my lack of Star Wars knowledge didn't really hinder me from enjoying the story and instead left me confused only when they'd mention a secondary character or two.

I will say, though, that this short story is extremely anticlimactic. There isn't a lot of build up because it is so short, but when you get to the end your immediate thought is simply, "that's it?" It just seemed like we were cheated of a proper story, which is kind of a bummer.

There are also strains of cliche sub-plot throughout the novella. Nerdy boy waits in line with a popular girl who has no idea he exists and also refuses to acknowledge that she's popular. Elena's arguing with Gabe about her social status in school was just frustrating because it was obvious how non-self aware she was. It's a short story, I shouldn't find myself rolling my eyes at certain bits.

But with all that in mind, I found this to be entertaining overall and, at times, I even cracked a smile or two. I'm happy I read it, though I am in no rush to force it upon others because of the anticlimactic ending.
 

3 stars

~*~Links~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment