[A Slightly Late] May Monthly Recap


~*~On The Blog~*~
A week too late, but at least it is up!

May has been a ridiculous month for me...I returned home from Europe, which was hugely emotional to me. I began to readjust to being back in the states, only to take off to Disney. I am exhausted and missing Europe, and it's been a rough transition back, but I am excited to start my internships!

Books Reviewed:
My Lady Jane by Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand, and Jodi Meadows - 5 stars
The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury - 4 stars
Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell - 3 stars

Books Read These 2 Months:
I have challenged myself to read 75 books this year, let's see if I can! I'll be keeping track in this section.
16. Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell (Paperback: 62 pages)
17. Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare (ARC: 668 pages)
18. Radio Silence by Alice Oseman (Paperback: 410 pages)
19. Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi (ARC: 395 pages)
    DNF's of the month 
    1. None
    Total Pages Read This Month: 1,535 pages
    Total Pages Read This Year: 4,045 pages
    Total Books Read This Year: 19
    Total Books DNF'd This Year: 0
    Giveaways:
    • I was part of several blog tours featuring giveaways in this month, but unfortunately, they are no longer running.
    Lili's Travel Diary:
    Discussion Posts:
    Guest Posts and Bonus Content:
    • John Corey Whaley stopped by to talk about teen anxiety on the blog tour for his book, Highly Illogical Behavior!
    ~*~What I've Been Watching~*~

    West End Shows:
    • I saw a production of A Midsummer Night's Dream in The New Globe Theatre and died. This show is weird, but it was hilarious. The production modernized it, throwing in some Beyonce and Shakira lyrics where they'd fit, and it was so worth it for under ten dollars.
    • I also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at the West End. I booked the tickets before it was announced that it would be coming to Broadway, but I will definitely be seeing it here in the US as well. We got upgraded to front row mezzanine and I loved every minute of it!
    TV:
    • Survivor ended. I don't have much to say aside from the fact that I am happy Tai did not win, though I think we all know Aubry deserved that check and Michelle did not.
    • The Amazing Race also ended. I AM SO MAD THAT THE DANCERS WON. I really do not like Dana and they're in a toxic relationship. GAH
    • I fell a little behind on Orphan Black because I have been so busy and lost my UK Netflix now that I am back in the states, so I have to catch up soon.
    • The Bachelorette premiered and I have to say that this group of guys kind of annoys me? There's super-villains and a ton of "heroes" and I just don't like them. Aaron Rodgers' little brother? Give me a break, fame seeker.
    • I've recently become addicted to RuPaul's Drag Race. I am so happy with the way seasons six and seven turned out, and I'll be completing season eight soon! Just so funny and so much fun to watch!
    Movies: 
    • I saw Captain America: Civil War in cinemas in London and I really enjoyed it. It's not my favorite, and I would have liked more focus on Cap for the final movie in his personal trilogy, but it definitely advanced the plot. I am just so happy they didn't stay true to the comic books in this one.
    • I noticed The Spectacular Now on tv and finally watched it. I love Miles Teller and he and Shailene had ridiculous chemistry. I haven't read the book, but I was satisfied by the movie. It had a distinctly indie feel to it.
    • Joy was one of the movies on my flight home, so I watched it because she actually graduated from my university. She even gave the commencement speech at this May's graduation. I love Jennifer Lawrence, so there's no surprise that I loved this movie. GIVE ME ALL THE JLAW AND BRADLEY COOPER COLLABORATIONS PLEASE!
    • The Scorch Trials was only part of my in flight entertainment. My sister is obsessed with Dashner, so I watched to be able to talk to her. I haven't read this book so the movie was full of surprises, but I did really enjoy it! So many twists and turns, so much Dylan O'Brien <3.

    ~*~Reading Challenges~*~

    Fairytale Retelling Challenge:
    1/10 Completed
    • The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
    Flights of Fantasy Challenge:
    6/30 Completed 
    • Remembrance by Meg Cabot
    • A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
    • Perijee & Me by Ross Montgomery 
    • The Forbidden Wish by Jessica Khoury
    • Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
    • Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi
    Contemporary Reading Challenge:
    4/16 Completed
    • Highly Illogical Behavior by John Corey Whaley
    • When We Collided by Emery Lord
    • Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell 
    • Radio Silence by Alice Oseman
    Backlist Books Challenge:
    9/12 Completed
    • Edward II by Christopher Marlowe
    • King Henry IV Part 1 by William Shakespeare 
    • The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare
    • A Woman Killed with Kindness by Thomas Heywood
    • Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
    • 'Tis Pity She's A Whore by John Ford
    • As You Like It by William Shakespeare
    • The Knight of the Burning Pestle by Francis Beaumont
    • Antony and Cleopatra by William Shakespeare
    Contemporary Romance Challenge:
    0/6 Completed
    • not yet
    Finishing The Series Challenge:
    1/7 Completed
      • The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot
      ~*~Around London~*~
      I am no longer in Europe, and it hurts to write this post. :( I miss it.

      Countries
      I came to England with the goal of exploring 10 countries. Let's see if it happens.
      12/10 unlocked.
      • England- Though I have been here when I was 12, I am counting this because it is my home base and I plan on exploring the heck out of it.
      • Wales- I know this is not technically its own country, but I am considering it to be one for the sake of my travels. Lots of sheep, lots of rain, an interesting 24 hours.
      • Scotland- I spent the weekend leading into my birthday here and I had an absolute blast. I met some awesome people, saw some awesome sights, and got to ring in 21 in style.
      • France- Lots of drama this trip, but also a lot of learning about myself and falling in love with my new bestie, Eiffel. I am glad that I went on this trip, but I couldn't spend an extended period of time in this city. I didn't love it as much as I was hoping to.
      • Switzerland- I visited three different cities in a 4 day period in Switzerland and had an absolute blast being able to reconnect with an old co-blogger. Jenn made this trip so worth it, even if it was freezing and snowy at times.
      • Germany- Probably my second favorite trip of this entire adventure. I spent 2 days in Munich and 2 days in Berlin on a solo adventure to learn about myself and it was one of the most fun things I have ever done.
      • Denmark- I spent two days in Copenhagen and it was so fun! I am happy I went, but there's not a lot to do there. I couldn't imagine spending a very long period there.
      • The Netherlands- It was very rainy during my excursion there, but it was wonderful seeing Marieke and eating lots of yummy food <3 10/10 would recommend a weekend trip to Amsterdam for sure!
      • Spain- I spent a full six days in Spain, more days in any location except for London, and I already know that I need to go back in life one day. There is still so much left to see, but damn, did I love that country.
      • Portugal- I only spent two days in Portugal, but I know I have to go back one day. So much left to see of this beautiful culture.
      • Czech Republic- I loved this country. I want to go back one day, even if Prague is so small.
      • Ireland- So much beauty, so much pretty, so much fun. I could spend a long while exploring Ireland.
      Cities
      I want to explore England just as much as I want to explore Europe, so I am taking some day trips! My goal is to hit up at least 7 British cities because I believe that's an easily obtainable number.
      7/7 unlocked.
      • Cambridge- I got to see Ashley in Cambridge, which in and of itself is a highlight. This is a beautiful town, but we went on a Saturday where not many colleges were open, so it was a bit hard to properly tourist. Either way, I loved the environment and seeing a friend is so, so worth the trip.
      • Stratford-Upon-Avon- This was a beautiful little town, very nice for a day trip but nothing more. There's not a lot to do and it gets boring rather quickly, even for Shakespeare fans myself, but seeing a Royal Shakespeare Company production is definitely one of the highlights of this study abroad experience for me.
      • Windsor- We stopped in Windsor on our way to Oxford. I am counting this gem of a town because we spent about two hours there and nearly the entire time I stood there staring at the Castle in awe.
      • Oxford- I loved this literary city. Sure, some of the sights I wanted to see may have been closed. I got to see you Bodleian Library, but unfortunately I did not get to tour you :(. Either way, I had an absolute blast on this day trip. Plus, the Oxford Yik Yak game is on point!
      • Salisbury- An important name until you realize Stonehenge is located there! So cool! So happy I went, even if it's a place you can only spend about an hour of your time at.
      • Bath- Such a peaceful city! I loved exploring The Roman Baths which totally didn't smell as bad as I was expecting them to. And then I just did some exploring around the area, had some delicious ice cream, and even played a round of mini golf with a cute guy. All in all a great trip. 
      • Manchester- I got to see my friend Cait before I left, so I explored this quiet city for a day with a friend and loved every minute of it. So much cool architecture, so many museums. What a nice little city.
      Sights Seen
      • Museums: The British Museum, The Tate Modern, The Natural History Museum, The National Gallery, Sherlock Holmes Museum, The British Library, Victoria and Albert
      • British History: Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, The Tower of London, Kensington Palace, The Globe Theatre, Stonehenge, Hampton Court Palace, Houses of Parliament, The Churchill War Rooms, Westminster Abbey, Saint Paul's Cathedral
      • Parks: Hyde Park, Regent's Park, Green Park, St. James Park, Primrose Hill
      • Theater: The Master Builder, Matilda, In The Heights, Guys and Dolls, Miss Atomic Bomb, Hamlet, Billy Elliott, The Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
      • Random Fun: The Shard, Borough Market, Camden Market, Oxford Street, The Globe, The London Eye, Warner Brothers Studio Tour
      Do you have a monthly recap or thoughts on anything I'm reading/reviewing/watching? Share your thoughts below! Every comment is greatly appreciated! <3

      No comments:

      Post a Comment