Review: The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Series: The Fixer #2
Publication Date: June 7, 2016
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 368 (ARC)
Source: From Publisher For Review
The Kendricks help make the problems of the Washington elite disappear…but some secrets won’t stay buried.

For Tess Kendrick, a junior at the elite Hardwicke School in Washington, D.C., fixing runs in the family. But Tess has another legacy, too, one that involves power and the making of political dynasties. When Tess is asked to run a classmate’s campaign for student council, she agrees. But when the candidates are children of politicians, even a high school election can involve life-shattering secrets.

Meanwhile, Tess’s guardian has also taken on an impossible case, as a terrorist attack calls into doubt who can—and cannot—be trusted on Capitol Hill. Tess knows better than most that power is currency in D.C., but she's about to discover firsthand that power always comes with a price.
~*~Lili's Reflections~*~

I've got one word to describe my reading experience with this book...Woah. I am sitting there, minding my own business, loving being back in Asher's presence, and Barnes drops one author bomb after the other in rapid fire succcession. Seriously, I saw not one thing in this book coming. It's been over a week and I still can't word.

This is one of the best sequels I have ever read. Not an ounce of sequel syndrome can be found in these pages, and I just can't even human when I think about it because it was so addicting and fast-paced. Talk about how to write a thriller! Somehow Barnes managed to quadruple the high stakes found in the first book in THE LONG GAME, causing us that much more emotional trauma. All I can say is bravo. Bravo for keeping this cast of characters amazing and strong despite all the bad things that happen to them, and for giving us secondary characters (looking at you, Asher and Vivvie) who are worthy of their own series. One big bravo!

I will say there was a developing romance in this one too. It took some really interesting turns--by interesting I mean downright shocking--and I liked the added layer to the story. High stakes in life, in politics, in love, in friendship...you name it, and someone was hella stressing about it in these pages. It's part of the reason why this book was so addicting!

This book is not meant for younger readers. A lot of really intense, dark stuff goes down. I don't want to talk about it without ruining the shockingness (I've decided this is a word!) of it all, but I will say that there are a lot of things left open with this ending in the hope that there will be a third book. Go out, buy this book, read it, become an emotional mess, and buy ten more to force on other people so that we can get that third book!

4.5 stars

~*~Links~*~

FTC Disclaimer: I received no compensation of any kind in exchange for this honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment