My Current Obsession (6): RuPaul's Drag Race

I've been aware of RuPaul's Drag Race for years. One of my best friends from college, Carolyn, was obsessed with it. Throughout freshman year, we'd often have study days where I'd glance over her shoulder and watch an old episode while I knocked out an essay. And then sophomore year rolled around where I ramped up my education to graduate early, had a 50 hour work week, and a lack of access to a television and I promptly let all of my television watching die. All those shows...dropped. The struggle was real.

Fast forward a few years and I'm sitting in my friend's flat in London, once again knocking out an essay for my Advertising class and she's giggling maniacally in a corner and eventually loudly declared, "NOT TODAY, SATAN!"

That was my re-introduction to the obsessive RuPaul's Drag Race. There's a ridiculous amount of herstory to the show and I don't think I could ever do it justice, but I am sure as heck enjoying it anyway.


What a lot of people don't realize is that this series is huge in the United Kingdom. This is because they have the 4 most recent seasons on Netflix (the most recent season's trailer you can see above). Sure, I watched out of order because I had to finish Bianca Del Rio's season, but I was all over this show again.

This show is just so important for the LGBTQIA community because it gives them a widely adored platform to be themselves and love it. One of the main morals throughout the reality series is the question: if you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else? As someone who has many friends who have struggled in their pasts with love and acceptance, this show almost acts as a beacon of hope in some regards. It also showcases a part of a very important community that many people don't necessarily understand.

And, let's not forget the fact that it is a piece of mainstream media that is prominent on the social scene. The word "sickening" is one of the most common pieces of slang in recent years, and I can say this because of my time spent interning at OED. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if another definition is added to the dictionary if its usage continues to rise.

Did anyone really know what the heck a death drop was more than a few years ago or that the term "bitch" could literally be the most endearing thing ever?! Have we ever found enough people to throw so much killer shade that we could make an entire Olympics for reading queens to filth?! Seriously, this book lover is desperate to visit RuPaul's library! Were we just completely unaware that Drag Mother's are better than any sorority Big a girl could ever dream of?

The list of absolute fierceness is near infinite. All I'm saying is that if you haven't discovered the greatness that is Snatch Game for yourself, you need to get on that pronto.

Upon my return from London, it was announced that the next season of RuPaul's is going to be All Stars 2!


I am so ready for it to premiere at the end of August! By now, I know the backstory to most of these ladies and I have some serious thoughts because this is a freaking great cast with a few key players from the older seasons, too. This show promises lots of amazing drag, and some even more amazing drama.

I've got my eye on Katya and Ginger Minj for entertainment, Alaska for annoying catchphrases that we all love and the occasional bit of petty jealousy of her ex, some fashion risks from the intoxicating Detox, relatability and entertainment from the now hogbody-less Libra Adore Delano, and a whole lotta drama from Roxxxy Andrews.

Photo credit: Entertainment Weekly / I thought this showed the queens the best!
RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race season 2 premieres on August 25th. I highly recommend binging the show on UK Netflix or Logo's website here before then because it is so, so worth it. If your cable provider supports the network, you can watch past episodes easily.

Now, I've gotta go because I have until August to learn how to beat my face and feel totally flazeda (love ya, Pearl).


~*~*~

Do you watch RuPaul's? What was your favorite season? Who is your favorite winner? Who do you think will win All Stars 2? Who do you wish was in All Stars 2 that isn't?! SO MANY QUESTIONS! Comment below with your thoughts so that we can fangirl together.  And, you know, if you haven't watched yet then you gotta get on that! <3

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lili!
    I LOVED YOUR POST SO MUCH! I cannot wait for the new season, especially because it's all my favorite drag queens! Let's watch it together in the fall. I'm so happy that you love Rupaul's Drag Race now. :)
    Love, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete